Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #21

If you can pick your first RV and end up with a configuration and fittings that's exactly what you want fiver years later you'll have done better than most.

We had a bunk TT cause we thought the kids would want to stay with us in it. In fact they were fine on the foldout or whatever and when it was just the two of us then we had unusable space (well, it turned into a dumping ground for "stuff"). If it's mostly the 2 of you then worry about what you want and not the guests (IMO, others may think different). We bought ours as a used yr old so no warranty, I fix whatever goes wrong.

We're 41' tip to tail. We've hit up a few SP & NP's and I think the only one we couldn't fit into was Joshua Tree but I think you'd have to be <25' to get in sites there (we boondock @ south entrance)
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
If you can pick your first RV and end up with a configuration and fittings that's exactly what you want fiver years later you'll have done better than most.

We had a bunk TT cause we thought the kids would want to stay with us in it. In fact they were fine on the foldout or whatever and when it was just the two of us then we had unusable space (well, it turned into a dumping ground for "stuff"). If it's mostly the 2 of you then worry about what you want and not the guests (IMO, others may think different). We bought ours as a used yr old so no warranty, I fix whatever goes wrong.

We're 41' tip to tail. We've hit up a few SP & NP's and I think the only one we couldn't fit into was Joshua Tree but I think you'd have to be <25' to get in sites there (we boondock @ south entrance)
Good point here. I have a short list of stuff for our next 5er.
I must be abnormal as I don't care about having guests stay in my rv. I like having camp /travel friends but I want them to have their own place to go to bed. A little separation keeps everybody friends.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #23

Thanks for replying. That is the exact unit we’re interested in. So glad to hear you have had no problems getting into different parks. And also more importantly no problems with your model. We want this because if anyone travels with us we want privacy for both ourselves and our guests. And although we will be traveling 90% of time by ourselves we have 3 small dogs Schnauzers that will be going with us. So that will be dog room when we travel without guests. And yes it will be the catch all room. But I can close the door. Out of sight out of mind 😂
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #24

Good thinking

We bought our first RV last year. It is a 355 MBQS and it is 42 feet long. We took it on a 2.5 month trek across the West and loved every minute of it and had no problems. But, I would probably have gotten a shorter one if I had to do it all over again. You will have more flexibility getting into State and National parks with a shorter rig, and you will have less "backing/parking" stress. I think we looked at the model you are considering too and it had a nicer outdoor kitchen than we have on ours. You have made a good choice. Go have fun.
Rgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #25

We are on our 3rd fifth wheel==the first one we just bought not knowing too much about them==the 2nd we kinda knew what we wanted in a FW== the 3rd we really knew what we wanted and got it. It was a Jayco Eagle and we love it. Are you going to find everything you want, hope so but be ready to compromise.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #26

Here's a couple questions for you veterans:

1. Best place to buy? The only Jayco authorized dealer in Houston,TX area is Lone Star RV and their reviews aren't the best. We went on RV Trader and there are models we're interested in but not at Lone Star. Lone Star only has the 29.5 BHOK model. We're concerned if you don't buy from them and then try to use them for service, you get redheaded step child treatment. SO, maybe the REAL question is, how to find best authorized warranty service department (possibly an independent that's not a dealership) if you don't buy locally?
>> COSTCO RV purchase program will save you 25% off MSRP! Our $65K Jayco 5th wheel cost us $45K at signing and it's custom loaded from the factory!

2. Best time to buy? We're trying to get a great deal on a 2018 new model and possibly thinking of buying December 2018 or January 2019?
>> Spring RV show - by summer you should be able to order next year's model. Probably varies by manufacturer.

3. In regards to length of trailer, there is SO much conversations out there it's overwhelming. I think most people concur that actually PULLING it down the road there is no difference. It's the pulling in/out of places AND more importantly trying to get the larger spaces at State or National parks can be a problem. Our main travels plans are State and National parks. Is there really a problem getting into most parks with a 36' or 38' 5er? Or can this be solved by staying at a private park close by? Not sure of likelihood of finding one close to a national park would be?
>> State and National parks have smaller parking spots (<30'), whereas private tend to have larger Class A type parking. Big difference in price too - private always more expensive. If you're storing off site, this might be an issue too. Private parking/storage gets more expensive with options. ex: open parking lot $50 mo. Covered parking $75 mo. Add electric plugin $100 mo. Indoor and climate controlled $250+ mo. OR park at your house for FREE.
Note: Some HOA's don't allow RVs on premise. Some cities have ordinances preventing street parking over 24/48/72 hrs.

4. Our reasoning for the bunkhouse is although 90% of the time we will be traveling along (my hubby and I), we have 3 small dogs and plan on family and friends going on some adventures with us. We want to use the bunkhouse as a "doggie room / storage room" when we don't have others traveling with us. We like the luxury of being able to close off the room to storage/dogs and/or giving privacy to our fellow travelers.
>> Nice to have a dog room but BH rigs tend to be larger. We use a kennel when needed.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #27

Try this pkace

We are from Houston and bought our Pinnacle online from RV Direct. They were great and we saved a bundle of money over any Texas dealer. We drove to Des Moines Iowa to pick it up and had a great trip home with it. We had it serviced ONCE at Lone Srar RV in North Houston, ONCE. In keeping with what my grandmother once told me, I can't say anything nice so I will say nothing at all.
jangeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #28

We have the eagle ht 30.5mbok. It fits most of your want list. We really love ours. I have measured it and it is exactly 36 feet from the ladder in the back to the pin box in the front. When I read your post your wish list sounded a lot like our trailer (minus the island kitchen).

My pickup is a 3500 diesel, I'm sure your 2500 would do just fine with the same trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
20180616_053452.jpg  
dbellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #29

Sounds like you are doing your homework. Asking good questions. Glad Jayco quality impressed you. We own a 38 foot 2015 Eagle 5th wheel and have found our share of issues. Three things I recommend. 1. Do a thorough inspection of the underbelly with slides out. Look for wires hanging down, particularly over the wheels. 2. Test every circuit breaker. Make sure the circuits are well distributed and used and identified correctly in the box. It seems like only 2 - 3 circuits controlling 90% of our trailer. 3. Go to the service department of the dealership you are considering and inquire as to how much of a service backlog there is. This should give you some idea of what to expect should you have to bring it in. Hope this helps.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #30

29.5 bkoh

I own that 29.5 BK oh I use the back end for storage just like you do or thinking to do great for visitors when they come specially my kids. Outdoor kitchen is nice to have as you live outside the trailer not in it. inspect your trailer very carefully when you get it had crooked handles on cabinets trim issues. make sure your trailer is level when towing had to put an inch and a half lift kit in mine on a truck running on 16 inch tires good luck and enjoy it
Kdernst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #31

If you are going to buy a unit with slides on both sides be sure you look at the unit with the slides closed. On some units you cannot get the freg or toilet with out opening the slide. That's a big problem at rest stops with trucks on both sides.
Also with slides on both sides the unit will not fit in old campgrounds due to trees or just not wide enough. Major problem at Federal & State campgrounds.

I purchased a FR 5th with a left slide. The unit had 2 nice chairs in the rear so you could watch tv in comfort. The problem is with the side in there was no room for the #2 chair except in the middle of the passage way to the kitchen.
Be sure the water heater is propane and elect with a switch to use either. Running propane it is loud & comes on at all times of the night. My old prior to Jayco you had to go outside to change it to elect.
The main thing is to never, never listen to the salesperson who don't even own a rv.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #32

I Purchased a smaller 27.5 Jayco Eagle RLTS for the same reasons. We love lakes and State plus national parks. We also purchased it for the 2" hitch on the rear to hold our RV Kayak / bike rack. We can get this just about into any State park!
We bought it new and only had a couple of minor things to fix which were easy for me. But sticking to your topic I love it and we are happy.
Lgray12845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #33

I bought a 2017 Jayco Eagle in ABQ and our local WI dealer(Green Bay area) covered warranty work just like I bought it from them. 327CKTS.
Love our dual fuel fridge, can run it while traveling.
igofishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #34

We just purchased a 30.5 MLOK. Great floor plan. It has an outside kitchen and outside TV. We ordered it from the factory to get all the options we wanted. There are dealers on line that have awesome prices but most you'll need to pick up your unit at their dealership, but the savings are incredible. I used a pricing quote from one of them to negotiate my price. I felt like all dealers buy at the same price so the only difference should be freight in quotes provided less taxes and license. It did take me a few dealers before I found one to match the quote I had. So eventually I ended up with a GREAT price. I did have a day's drive to pick it up though. I currently have it at my local dealership having some warranty work done. So far so good. My rig is 34.5' long and has the orbital pin box (which basically moves the pivoting position about 22" toward the rear) so far I have not had any problems with parking.
jw2bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #35

The best price on a Jayco in my opinion is Indiana RV Connection. I believe the trip to go get it would pay off. As far as length, our 28.5 is 34' long and that to me is plenty. Good luck in your adventure.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #36

My husband and I bought the 317rlok 2018 we purchased hours in October 2017 end of season in Maine just have the one bedroom no bunkhouse but plenty of room for guests to sleep on the pull-out sofa we love it plenty of room 37 ft you should check it out
Wezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #37

That's crazy! We bought the exact unit except 2019 model. We love it! Can't wait to make many memories and trips! Our initial thought process was to get a floorplan with bunkhouse to use as a designated spot for our 3 schnauzers and then when others travel with us that would be their private area. However, we realized by selecting a bunkhouse floorplan we would be giving up living space and master bedroom space to keep the length under 37'. Then we also realized 95% of time it will be just my husband and myself, so we changed our thought process and went with a floorplan that best suited our needs. Anyone that stays with us can use the pull out couch. Super excited!!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #38

I'm picking up a new 29.5 BHOK from Lone Star RV in Houston tomorrow. I live in Austin and the local dealer did not have the model I wanted plus they were $4,000 more than Lone Star. Lone Star dealt on price, in fact I got them down to just $500 more than the best out of state quotes from the Wholesalers.

I spoke to Jayco today wondering about warranty issues if I need them. I really don't want to drive 3 hours to Houston. They told me to take it to my local Jayco dealer and if they give me the run around to call Jayco and they will help out. Last resort is to take it to any local repair shop, pay for the repair then Jayco will pay me back.
gburger is offline   Reply With Quote