Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2021, 07:22 AM   #1

2010 jayco 5th wheel AC

Hi there I have a 2010 jayco 5th wheel with a mach coleman Ac unit,so last 2 trips we been out.we get home and notice kitchen floor wet.its coming through the ac unit on roof inside trailer. It's just wierd how it's only after slide is in and traveling down road. Not leaking when parked and ac is on. Just wondered if anyone has ran into this before. Thanks Greg
D line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #2

So I checked the 4 5/16bolts holding the unit inside the trailer,one was a little loose so I snugged it up,I did read before not to overtighten these either as it can cause damage so I just made sure they are all snug.hope that's all it is.if it something else on top of roof I'll have to get someone else to look at it. Thanks
Old 06-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #3

Maybe also check the drain holes around the bottom of the roof unit are open so the water can drain out
Old 06-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #4

Couple things;

When you pulled the inside AC cover to tighten the screws, could you see any indication on where the water was flowing from? Any signs of water on the roof framing? If not, good chance you had ice build up on the inside coils.

If you have bad air flow across the coils they will freeze up, especially on humid days. How clean are the foam return air filters? I clean mine about every 5-7 days of use. If you have run without the cheap foam filters the coils collect all the dust and debris, restricting air flow.
The inside coils are NOT easy to access to clean. I suspect you need to remove the motor assembly from the outside (roof top) so you can get past the fan blades.

Probably nothing to do with the inside dripping, but have you removed the outside cover and cleaned the outside coils? Could have a lot of dirt, pollen, cotton from a cotton wood tree, etc obstructing the coils. I take the outside cover off every few years and hose off the outside coil (no pressure washer).

The seal on a 2010 may be shot. A new seal is about $20+. Replacement time is not bad. Much easier with a helper, and a something to set the AC on (protect the rubber roof).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #5

Thank you guys for your feed back,i didnt see anything to obvious
I did see very light water Mark's on wood but wood still all looks new and nothing rotten when I removed inside AC cover,I'm going to try getting a buddy to get up there for me and take cover off and take a peak see if there anything obvious,if not maybe take it to dealer to do a check over,much as I hate dealerships.i try to do most things myself but as the trailer is a 2010 I would like a good inspection and maybe reseal trailer as well. Roof,windows.etc. trailer is in great shape and I want to keep it that way. Thanks
Old 06-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #6

Jagiven ,the one filter I seen was fairly clean I cleaned it out
anyways and let it try completely before putting it back in.(thats the one filter that's on the INSIDE Ac cover)but are there more filters anywhere I missed?
Old 06-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
Site Team

There are some good threads with pictures here on JOF from a few years back detailing how to clean the pan drain that is under the evaporator coil from up on the roof. There are 2 small holes that allow condensate to run out of the pan and then drain onto your roof. If you don't see condensate water dripping when the ac is on yours may need to be cleaned.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D line View Post
Thank you guys for your feed back,i didnt see anything to obvious
I did see very light water Mark's on wood but wood still all looks new and nothing rotten when I removed inside AC cover,I'm going to try getting a buddy to get up there for me and take cover off and take a peak see if there anything obvious,if not maybe take it to dealer to do a check over,much as I hate dealerships.i try to do most things myself but as the trailer is a 2010 I would like a good inspection and maybe reseal trailer as well. Roof,windows.etc. trailer is in great shape and I want to keep it that way. Thanks
Any sign of water would make me nervous!

Do you have a good shore power outlet at home that you can run the AC for a few hours? If so, run it, turn it off, pull the inside cover, sit back have a cool drink, and see if you can spot where the water is coming from. Could do this at camp too.

If you have a good rainstorm at home, pull the cover and look for signs of water, that can let you know if it is a seal.

The number of filters depends on the type of AC you have. I suspect you have a ducted system, and probably one larger filter.

As for sealing the roof, I would all of that yourself if you have the ability. Wash the roof really well. Inspect the caulking. Any caulking that looks questionable, apply Decor over the top, or carefully scrap down and apply new. If you never want to address the caulking again. Apply Eternabond. The sidewalls, I check all the caulk locations and apply a small dab of OSI Quad as needed. Now that my TT is getting older, I find a few spots every year.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #9

So I took my ac cover off and found the pan was clogged both holes which makes sense when only time it leaked was after getting home after driving down road. But now I notice I only have water dripping on the slide out side off the rear corner,is this normal? Thanks Greg
Old 06-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #10

Yup. It's normal. I can level my trailer and sometimes it runs out the holes on one side of the A/C unit and the next time itll run out the other side. The slightest bit of tilt itll follow the low side. And it's coming out the back corner because the water is running off the roof and down into the gutter and that section of gutter is tipped toward the back.
I got 2 A/C units and the front always drains thru the front gutters and the other one mostly runs out the back. A couple times I've had the front unit run out the front right side and the other unit run out the rear left side. As long as it runs out I dont care what side it chooses. Lol!
Sometimes I put a 5gal bucket to catch the water, let it fill up and when we leave to git the dump station, I'll ram that 5gal bucket of water down the toilet to flush the black tank(s) out.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #11

Thanks Lake Huron
Old 06-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #12
Site Team

As long as it's draining somewhere outside!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #13

No problem.
X2 with Norty. Lol!