Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #1

2016 Jayco Eagle 28.5 RSTS

Wife and I are looking at a 2016 Eagle 28.5 RSTS 5th wheel trailer.

Open to comments & opinions on this model.

We have never owned a Jayco before, but a friend has a 2011 Eagle TT
and he is happy with it.

We have owned a Terry & Keystone TT and both were good. Selling off
a Thor Hurricane MH that we have been less happy with.

Phil Saran
Parker, CO
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

While we don't have the 28.5 rsts we do have a 27.5 rlts. So I can't speak to the RSTS specifically. However in regards to quality from Jayco it has been relatively fine. We had a few initial warranty items that needed to be taken care of which turned out to be a 6 month crock. However I blame the dealer way more for that than Jayco. It was over the winter so didn't impede our using it. Since then the only two repairs I have had to deal with were the bathroom vent fan and one of the grey tank valves. The fan cover split, cracked etc meaning it leaked a lot during rain (and as it turns out was/is a fairly common issue for that style of fan). After our experience with the dealer previously I just changed it out myself with a better unit. While it would have been covered under the warranty it wasn't worth my time, effort and miles to take it to them. I replaced it in about 90 minutes or so. So far the only other thing to go wrong was we were leaving a campground and was draining/flushing the grey/black tanks. One of the grey tank valves wouldn't open. Once I got home and cut open the coroplast underneath to see what was up the handle had just come unscrewed from the valve and took a total of 15 minutes to cut the coroplast, screw it back together and reseal the coroplast with gorilla tape. I could see this potentially happening again and should have used some thread locker but wasn't prepared at that moment and was in a real hurry. If it does happen again it will get thread locker.
The unit tows fine and have no real issues with it.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

I had a 2015 model RSTS and the floor plan was the best we found for our needs. I did have several issues with it but Jayco authorized every repair. I traded it in this year for an Eagle 317RLOK, staying with Jayco because of their warranty service.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

We have a 16 Eagle 321 RSTS its been two years of warranty repairs.Roof replaced, separation in living area floor,bath room wall warped,kitchen slide rollers not working correctly,awning arms warped poor design,bad axle.And we could go on!All these items repaired just hours and hours of warranty repair.Miles and miles of drive time.If you have the patience's and a dealer close by go for it!
Attached Thumbnails
Glamus 3-5-04.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #5

I don't think that's normal. Ours has had some small problems that I have fixed.

Is the 2016 new or used? Dealer or private sale? If new why hasn't it sold before now?

Inspect closely. Insist on seeing everything work on it before buying. Also check walls and roof carefully. There have been instances where a unit was damaged, repaired and sold as new.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #6

We were looking at the 28.5rlts from HT series for a month and ended up getting its big brother, a 291rlts. I have a Chevy 2500 tv so the extra weight was worth the much bigger tanks, head room, triple slides, dual awnings and pantry. We have had it for a couple months now and we have not had any problems at all. I can also run the 15k A/C on a 2000 watt generator. I have no issues recommending any Jayco 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
Wife and I are looking at a 2016 Eagle 28.5 RSTS 5th wheel trailer.

Open to comments & opinions on this model.

We have never owned a Jayco before, but a friend has a 2011 Eagle TT
and he is happy with it.

We have owned a Terry & Keystone TT and both were good. Selling off
a Thor Hurricane MH that we have been less happy with.

Phil Saran
Parker, CO
Phil - We attended a local RV show and shopped around. After a day of looking at options, I would ask dealers about quality and who makes a solid trailer. The consensus was Jayco makes a decent 4 season trailer and has the best warranty right now. We've had our 28.5 RSTS for a couple months now with half a dozen trips under our belt. So far it's just been trivial things like:
* Front nose cap was scratched (from dealership). - Dealer to fix later under warranty.
* A couple screws came out from shaking around.
* Bathroom fan switch acts up intermittently. - Dealer to fix later under warranty.

With only 1,000 miles on it, it may be too soon to tell yet.

Side note: If you haven't purchased it yet, do the deal through COSTCO and save 20-25% off MSRP. Then use the money you saved to get "extras" later. We got the HT model thinking we could tow it with our F150 only to find out we were 500# over payload so we ended up with an F250. Don't believe the sales guys - they'll say anything to sell a camper. Make sure your rig can handle 20% (King Pin) of the total camper weight before you commit. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

We have the 2017 RSTS and have been happy with it. A few minor problems,i.e. crooked shades, bathroom fan switch not staying on, light on power cord went out, screen door not flush, kitchen slide not completely flush. Overall I would recommend it. Easy to tow. Using a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 long bed; crew cab. I'll comment more later if I think of anything else. Good luck.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #9

We purchased a used 2015 28.5RSTS. We wanted a floor plan with an island sink a 12 foot overall height (to fit through the overhead door on the barn) and an empty weight under 9000 pounds. The 28.5RSTS was just the ticket.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #10

My wife and I own a 2016 28.5 RSTS 5ther. I would be more than happy to talk about it and answer any questions, just give me a call.��
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #11

Took ownership of our 2018 HT RSTS in mid-July, immediately headed to Colorado with it. NO major problems. A few minor things to take care of but overall very satisfied. We have an excellent dealership here in south central PA and they go out of their way to accommodate. The floor plan on the RSTS ( the couples coach) was ideal for us. We traded up from a Jayco tow behind and 16 dsrl which was adequate but wanted to go longer the RSTS suited our needs much better. Heading to Fl. around Thanksgiving for a 54 month say. Do not anticipate any problems. We do have 16" wheels and Goodyear "E" rated tires. But having it made to our liking we could be a bit choosey.
In my humble opinion Jayco products are well built and they do use quality cabinetry.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamer View Post
Took ownership of our 2018 HT RSTS in mid-July, immediately headed to Colorado with it. NO major problems. A few minor things to take care of but overall very satisfied. We have an excellent dealership here in south central PA and they go out of their way to accommodate. The floor plan on the RSTS ( the couples coach) was ideal for us. We traded up from a Jayco tow behind and 16 dsrl which was adequate but wanted to go longer the RSTS suited our needs much better. Heading to Fl. around Thanksgiving for a 54 month say. Do not anticipate any problems. We do have 16" wheels and Goodyear "E" rated tires. But having it made to our liking we could be a bit choosey.
In my humble opinion Jayco products are well built and they do use quality cabinetry.
We are looking at a 2018 28.5 RSTS and currently have a DSRL also. We as have a 2017 F250 gasser as well and was wondering how the combination performed in Colorado.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #13

Another 2017 28.5 rsts owner. We picked it up in April and have used it almost one seanson already. Very happy with the unit and really really happy with the floor plan. It's definitley a couples trailer but thats exactly what we wanted. Ordered ours too so got the standing table and chairs which I love, the second AC. The 16 inch tires and most of everything they offer as options. The only trouble I have is it has the resse revulution pin and I have a pull rite hitch and it its always a PITA to hook up and unhook.
ceasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #14

We just purchased a 2018 rsts. We have had 4 other 5th wheels prior to this, a TTand a motorhome. We have purchased4 or them new the rest used. Overall we probably had more issues with new than used, only because someone else has had to deal with the problems before us. Our New Jayco is great. Couple minor issues and one large issue and that being the slideout adjusted too high. I blame the dealer. Ecaise they knew it wasn't right when they sent it home with us. Correction, it was the tech not the dealer. We love the dealer and have purchased theee u ya from them. Every single rv manufacturer has issues. There are good and bad in al if thrm. Let's face it, quality is not great no matter what. You will end up doing things to yours to make it your own and fix things how you want them fixed. We like Jayco and have owned other units. But no matter what we have owned, there's always been some kind of problem. If you like it buy it.
Shirlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
..... I can also run the 15k A/C on a 2000 watt generator....
Curious about this statement. Has your trailer been modified in any way or have options installed to allow this? Or do the standard Jayco (Coleman) AC units come with a soft start system installed?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Curious about this statement. Has your trailer been modified in any way or have options installed to allow this? Or do the standard Jayco (Coleman) AC units come with a soft start system installed?

Came from the factory, 2017 291rsts. I don’t see any options added to the dealer sticker that would indicate anything special added. All it shows on the unit is Coleman Mack (or Mach), black cover on it. 15k btu.
I have a set of Honda 2000’s. It will run on the companion with the 30amp plug. Won’t run on the regular 2000 with only 20amp. Can’t have anything else on like the converter. So I’ll run them in tandem to get the batteries charged up in the morning, make breakfast and coffee and then only the companion in the afternoon when I want the A/C on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #17

That's interesting. Means the generator is capable of putting out more power than available through a 20A circuit.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #18

Also, the Honda 2000 companion 30amp generator would NOT run either of my two sons Dometic 13.5k btu A/C units.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #19

They might be older units like I had on my previous fiver. I had to get a Yamaha 2400 generator to run the 13k unit on it.

I should have kept that generator and tried it on my new trailer. But, it only had the 20A outlet.