Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #1

2016 - Springs

Tried searching but wasn't able to find what I am looking for.

We have a 2016 36 FBTS and on a recent trip, our driver side slide was rubbing against our tires (we also lost our trailer brakes!). Because of the trailer brakes going out, we were able to limp into US Adventures RV in Davenport, Iowa. While in there, we asked them to look at the slide to provide a reason for the rubbing. Turns out our springs are almost flat on that side. I know there was a recall on the 2017 but has anyone had this issue with a 2016? We did call Jayco and talked to them, provided them with our VIN, etc. We are waiting to hear back from them but thought I would check with this group.

As far as the brakes, we had broken/corroded wires on the driver side.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #2

At 4 or 5 years old, especially with a lot of miles or a lot of weight, it's not unusual to experience spring flattening. I went through it with a 2007 Eagle TT. Even though the springs are rated for more than the load at max GVW, they will flatten. I learned a lot about this from a local spring specialty shop, and am now in the habit of replacing them every 4 years. I also replace the entire suspension components (bolts, bushings, shackle links, and equalizer at the same time) Rough roads and weight take a toll, then all you need to hit is a pothole or bridge joint just right and you'll be on the side of the highway with a broken spring.
From your description, you were lucky to notice it before a sprig broke.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
At 4 or 5 years old, especially with a lot of miles or a lot of weight, it's not unusual to experience spring flattening. I went through it with a 2007 Eagle TT. Even though the springs are rated for more than the load at max GVW, they will flatten. I learned a lot about this from a local spring specialty shop, and am now in the habit of replacing them every 4 years. I also replace the entire suspension components (bolts, bushings, shackle links, and equalizer at the same time) Rough roads and weight take a toll, then all you need to hit is a pothole or bridge joint just right and you'll be on the side of the highway with a broken spring.
From your description, you were lucky to notice it before a sprig broke.
Thanks for the info. Of, if it had broken, wife would have been upset! She was driving when we received the "trailer disconnect" on our screen. Interesting...we had a 2007 Cameo by Carriage and never had this issue. Within the same weight range & traveled more miles in it. We traded it for the 2016. Guess one more thing to add to our list to check/replace. We have the wheel bearings checked every 6K miles or 2 years.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #4

Factory under warranty replaced my springs and a stiffer morride rubber block. My kitchen slide inner wall was rubbing on my sidewall. This only happened on big bumps. They told me at the factory they had several complaints but mine was the first one they seen. I took it to the factory on my dime for several major issues (kitchen slide and roof).
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 springs