Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #1

2019 29.5 bhds factory camera inside wires for security

Just purchased the tt. 2019 29.5 bhds with 50 amp service and factory furrion backup / observation camera . The dealer told me I could use the camera as a security type camera if I plugged the monitor Into the 12 volt outlet in main bed room . It doesn’t seem to work . The monitor gets power but doesn’t give power to the camera ( only when disconnected from truck and with marker lights off . Works fine when traveling ! ) so my question is was I told wrong or is there a way to peer the camera from somewhere inside and I’m missing it ? .. I’m also looking into getting the side camera that work with the unit and have them work also while stationary . So any advice would be greatly appreciated. My wife will be staying by her self for the year having to travel for work so she is asking for the cameras .
Douglasmatthewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #2

If you have a 2019 fifth wheel, the orange or purple accessory wire is located behind the bedroom wall switch. You will just need to add a second switch next to the wall switch and it will work. I found my wires tucked up under the thermostat just above the light switch. If you have a travel trailer, the wires are located behind you command center. You can call Jayco and ask them to send you form 0310978 back up camera installation sheet.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #3

Hey, it appears that your camera is wired into the marker lights on the rear, so that the camera is only powered when hooked up for travel. I have mine wired into a 12v line which is always hot, this wire was already back there. The only downside is that the camera is always on unless you add a switch. Hope this helps.
2lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #4

I had a 2017 29.5 BHDS. There was a switch in the compartment with the battery that needed to be turned on to power the camera from the trailer. You might look around in there to see if there is a switch that doesn't seem to do anything when you flip it.
masolbergrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by masolbergrv View Post
I had a 2017 29.5 BHDS. There was a switch in the compartment with the battery that needed to be turned on to power the camera from the trailer. You might look around in there to see if there is a switch that doesn't seem to do anything when you flip it.
They stopped using the switch sometime in 2018 models. They have a 2019.

The correct answer was given about the wires in the wall behind the light switch to power it. Other wise it's on the marker light circuit.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies . If I put the switch in , does that also power it when not hooked up or do I need to remove the camera and wire it into that other wire . Just wasn’t sure if that was a constant hot wire or if I’m just tapping into the wire it was already on ?
Old 01-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #7

Use a multimeter to find a constant 12V + wire. I jumped mine off the + side of the bedroom light switch. Connect the 12v + wire to one side of the switch and connect the orange or purple wire to the other side if the switch. Turn the switch on and your camera will operate. Turn the switch on when traveling and you won’t need your vehicle parking lights on anymore. My wire was just above the light switch behind the thermostat. You should have at least a foot of wire to pull out.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

This will allow you to use the camera as an observation camera when camping if you want and also powers the camera when traveling. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 AM   #9

Thank y’all for your help . Still waiting on Jayco for the wiring diagram so does anyone know if this wire is also ran behind the front side marker lights ? If so I was going to purchase the camera for those also . This would make hookup a breeze if so !
Old 01-31-2019, 06:27 AM   #10

The wire only runs to the rear camera.