Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2020, 06:40 AM   #21

I tow a 355MBQS with a 2020 Chevrolet 2500HD, using a Reese Goose Box. My payload is 3265 and my RGAWR is 6600. The GCWR is 240000. Last time I weighed it, I was at 21,800.

Pretty much the same camper as yours, only with the mid bunk and a few more lbs.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingrockTX View Post
We are looking to move back to a 5er. Really like this model but it is very close to pin weights on this.

The one configured at my dealer is 2165 lbs hitch, that is with the 2nd AC installed.

My question, is anyone pulling this rig with a new 3/4 ton diesel? We have a 2019 F250 6.7. Cargo is 2250 so I am pushing it a little there.

Spoke with a Jayco rep today at the RV show, he said plenty of people were pulling these with 3/4 ton trucks. Thought I would check that validity of that statement.

Thanks

RR
I don't know about Ford but with Ram trucks the only difference beetween the 2500 and 3500 SRW's is the rear suspension. The Diffs, Brakes, Frames, etc. are all the same. In order to hit the 10K max gvw Ram gives you coils in the 2500. Oh yeah you can get the AISIN Trans. in the 3500 as an option but the 66re is still the standard. Legalities aside with a Ram you should be able to install air bags or similar to increase the cargo capacity. I am not sure about any programming differences for the Anti-Lock brakes but if there is a difference a programmer should be able to fix it. Conservatively, I like to stay at least 20% below my tow capacity myself to compensate for steep grades etc. A SRW truck with a 15K# trailer is getting close to the max. tow weight.

Life is short never miss an adventure and keep searching for new things to do for the first time.
Cenvalleysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #23

Assuming the F250 does not have the camper package, it will have a different rear axle and be missing the rear overload spring that the F350s have.

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
RR

What is the GVWR of the truck? Take that number and subtract the actual weight of the truck to give you the available payload. This is why the 3/4 tons have such low payload numbers. Using your method yields higher payload capacity, which is why I said I thought you’d be ok. Not everyone agrees with that method though.
The sticker may be lower because some of the weight is loaded onto the front axle.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #25
DGW

Shouldn't be an issue

But what you might want to consider is an Andersen Ultimate Hitch - that will save you over 200 pounds. Cause if you have a hitch weight of 2150 and you add in a 250+ lb 5th wheel hitch, you're now pushing 2400 pounds plus. Andersen is a small price to pay for that much weight savings.
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #26

I am continually amazed at how people think that by adding airbags or timbrens that it actually adds to the payload capacity of your truck. If you want to get technical, if you add airbags or timbrens you will actually “decrease” your payload capacity by the weight of the air bags or timbrens themselves. It just makes the truck squat less. Yes that is a good thing if your truck squats, because that in and of itself is dangerous. But if your sticker says the max payload for your truck (including the weight of the hitch, cargo, and passengers) is 2050 lbs., and you’re buying a trailer with a pin weight of 1800 pounds, guess what? You're going to be way over. You have to factor in your own weight, the propane tanks, batteries, plus all the stuff you brought which is forward of the axles. Most people can easily add 1000 pounds to their to their trailer pin weight by loading it up with stuff. I wasn’t a weight cop before but I guess I am now.

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:44 AM   #27

You're right. I did the same thing, dsme truck except 8 ft bed. You will be ok in all weights, except you will be over on GVWR (truck + cargo). Will ot tow? Yes, can you stop, probably. 50 % of 5th wheels on the road today are overweight somewherr.
kcordell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #28

Quote:
My truck does have the 10K lb towing package with the 3.55 rear so that puts me at the 14,100 5th wheel towable weight. My GCVWR is 25,700lbs. Per the 2019 Ford towing guide and the sticker in the door.

Rear GAWR is 6340 for this truck per the sticker
Front GAWR is 5200 per the sticker.

From my last CAT visit, these are my TV numbers:

1ST Weigh TV

Front: 4820
Rear: 3320

Total 8180

Makes me wonder a little bit b/c the payload sticker shows 2254lbs. But by math there is 3020lbs of difference from rear GAWR and actual weight.

RR
I was worried about my 3/4 ton right before a big trip to Seattle from St. Louis. Purchased a new dually. No more worries.
Have piece of mind, go with a dually.
and
2 Zuchons or ( Beesh&*s) named Maggie and Bullet
silveradoboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #29

The perfect 5er for us in this class if you will is another brand that I won't mention. I hate to even consider it b.c this is our 4th Jayco and it has been a good unit. I spoke with the Jayco rep on site today and told him they needed a 31 or 32 ft bunk in the Eagle line...he agreed.

You can see in my signature what I have. (Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS) It is 34' 6" after two seasons we are really enjoying it. The pin weight with it fully loaded for travel is 2090 lb. The total weight is 10,690 lb. I pull with a 350 DW but I'm sure a 250 would tow it easily. It is a lot of pin weight. Good luck and hope you enjoy the new 5th wheel.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
The perfect 5er for us in this class if you will is another brand that I won't mention. I hate to even consider it b.c this is our 4th Jayco and it has been a good unit. I spoke with the Jayco rep on site today and told him they needed a 31 or 32 ft bunk in the Eagle line...he agreed.

You can see in my signature what I have. (Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS) It is 34' 6" after two seasons we are really enjoying it. The pin weight with it fully loaded for travel is 2090 lb. The total weight is 10,690 lb. I pull with a 350 DW but I'm sure a 250 would tow it easily. It is a lot of pin weight. Good luck and hope you enjoy the new 5th wheel.
Have you been satisfied with the quality of the HT series as compared to the Eagle?
IG @Pedal_withus
Youtube: Pedal With Us.
This is Jayco Camper #5 for us. 20 years of Jayco's.
rollingrockTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks Gents

Yeah I know I would be right at the limits but my GCVWR is within spec even if loaded. That said, I am more worried about pin weight. I do have the SumoSprings 2500 airless 2 piece "bags". I am not a fan of the tembrens but if I did end up going with this set up, I would pull those out and put in air bags with compressor like we had in our 06 F250. I hate the idea of getting the HT line 5er, since they are made to be so much lighter, I feel ike that quality would be a tad lower than on our WhiteHawk. I just hate how they tow.

I too am part of the weight police, I want to be safe...there is one guy on the Pro Pride page that is towing at 29BH WhiteHawk with a Chevy Colorado and b.c he as a ProPride, he thinks that is just fine. Um no sir.

RR
Quote:
Have you been satisfied with the quality of the HT series as compared to the Eagle?
Yes, we have been happy with our trailer. We had a couple of minor issues that I repaired myself on the first trip out and since then no issues. We have spent over 100 nights in our camper in the last to seasons and pulled it about 5000 miles. We had an 2010 Eagle Super Lite before we got this camper, it was purchased used in 2012 and over the 6 years and probably 300 nights, 18,000 miles we never had any problems. I'm expecting the same from this camper, hope I'm right.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #32

Perfect Timing

So glad I came across this post and chatter as we are considering “upgrading” from our 2015 29.5FBDs to a 2020 or 2021 347BHOK. We have and don’t plan to replace our 2006 Ford F-250 6.0 Diesel SRW Crew Cab 4x4 LB with the Camper Package. It has been Bullet Proofed, no chip or other mods besides the Curt A16 hitch and Firestone airbags. No issues pulling with our current setup on several trips from AZ to TN going the north and south routes.

I need to go out and look at the actual door sticker on the truck to get ratings as this is a very recent discussion within the family right now.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsSmith View Post
So glad I came across this post and chatter as we are considering “upgrading” from our 2015 29.5FBDs to a 2020 or 2021 347BHOK. We have and don’t plan to replace our 2006 Ford F-250 6.0 Diesel SRW Crew Cab 4x4 LB with the Camper Package. It has been Bullet Proofed, no chip or other mods besides the Curt A16 hitch and Firestone airbags. No issues pulling with our current setup on several trips from AZ to TN going the north and south routes.

I need to go out and look at the actual door sticker on the truck to get ratings as this is a very recent discussion within the family right now.
I live in East Tennessee, hope you enjoyed your trips here, I've lived here all my life and love East Tennessee. The 347 BHOK is a really nice camper, but that is a lot of camper at 41foot for an F250. The gross weight on it is 14,850lb I'm guessing the pin weight is going to be close to 2700lb when it is loaded. The pin weight on mine is 2090lb and my camper loaded weight is 10.650lb. It is a big jump from a 29.5 FBDS. Either way best of luck finding a new camper, it is such fun, and very stressful, choosing a new home. Let us all know what you get and enjoy the ride. God Bless!
Old 08-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #34

Quote:
I live in East Tennessee, hope you enjoyed your trips here, I've lived here all my life and love East Tennessee. The 347 BHOK is a really nice camper, but that is a lot of camper at 41foot for an F250. The gross weight on it is 14,850lb I'm guessing the pin weight is going to be close to 2700lb when it is loaded. The pin weight on mine is 2090lb and my camper loaded weight is 10.650lb. It is a big jump from a 29.5 FBDS. Either way best of luck finding a new camper, it is such fun, and very stressful, choosing a new home. Let us all know what you get and enjoy the ride. God Bless!
Thank you!

Yes! We have loved each trip to TN! We typically stay at Montgomery Bell and love it there. ❤️

It is a big jump in size...causing as much anxiety as the first purchase of the 29.5 and dragging it on its maiden voyage to TN along the 40. My first time towing EVER and I really believe they had every bridge along the way being worked on with concrete barriers on both sides!

The extra length is definitely a concern! The pivot and swing of the tail is going to take some getting used to. It has a LOT more hanging on the rear of the axles then the 29.5. 😳

I am analyzing like crazy right now. Max trailer load for my truck is 15,500 and the max pin weight is 3,000 I believe. From what I can tell so far, my current setup can handle the larger trailer. It will be different when pulling hills and going down them, but I believe I will be good and within limits in all respects.

I see you have “mint” on your tag for your F350. Love it! I baby my F250 too! I have guys stop and chat with me on it. Most appreciate the no crazy lift kit, tires, etc. Just a good looking “older” truck!

Any other feedback or opinions is appreciated!
Old 08-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #35

If anyone has any suggestions on a new Jayco 5th wheel that has bunk beds for 3-4 kiddos and a W/D hookup, I am interested in hearing about it. This 347BHOK is the only one I could find before you hit the “big boy” models and my truck AND wallet would not be up to it!

We like the 347BHOK layout with the separate rooms, bunk room setup, 2 baths (family of 6) and the W/D hookups already there. The weight fits, length is concerning compared to the 29.5FBDS, but overall fits the bill for our needs and towing ability. We don’t want to and have not looked at other brands. Any opinions/thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrsSmith View Post
Thank you!

Yes! We have loved each trip to TN! We typically stay at Montgomery Bell and love it there. ❤️

It is a big jump in size...causing as much anxiety as the first purchase of the 29.5 and dragging it on its maiden voyage to TN along the 40. My first time towing EVER and I really believe they had every bridge along the way being worked on with concrete barriers on both sides!

The extra length is definitely a concern! The pivot and swing of the tail is going to take some getting used to. It has a LOT more hanging on the rear of the axles then the 29.5. 😳

I am analyzing like crazy right now. Max trailer load for my truck is 15,500 and the max pin weight is 3,000 I believe. From what I can tell so far, my current setup can handle the larger trailer. It will be different when pulling hills and going down them, but I believe I will be good and within limits in all respects.

I see you have “mint” on your tag for your F350. Love it! I baby my F250 too! I have guys stop and chat with me on it. Most appreciate the no crazy lift kit, tires, etc. Just a good looking “older” truck!

Any other feedback or opinions is appreciated!
My truck is old but has always been kept in the garage, meticulous care, and it just rolled up up on 60,000 miles on our trip this summer. It was the last full year Ford put the 7.3 liter in their trucks. I have a good friend that has a 2006 that has been bullet proofed and he now has 245,000 miles on it.

If you get in our area, that's across the Cumberland Plateau east of Nashville, we love Cumberland Mountain State Park, Crossville, Tn. (on the plateau) we live down in the Tennessee River Valley between the Cumberland and Appalachian Mountains. If you are brave enough to venture into Pigeon Forge we love Up the Creek RV Park. There are many wonderful things to see and do in East Tennessee. However, I do love the west, traveled there many times and hope to go again. Planned to go this summer but postponed due to the pandemic. I have very dear friends that have a Casita and winter in Yuma. Hope you find the perfect camper. I looked at the 347 BHOK on line and it is an awesome 5th wheel. My old camper was a Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 DBSA it had the rear bunk and 1/2 bath that we loved. Similar to what you are looking at but the same length as my current camper and it being older, but not near as nice. Every year they get fancier and with more bells and whistles. Enjoy and happy hunting.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #37

Quote:
My truck is old but has always been kept in the garage, meticulous care, and it just rolled up up on 60,000 miles on our trip this summer. It was the last full year Ford put the 7.3 liter in their trucks. I have a good friend that has a 2006 that has been bullet proofed and he now has 245,000 miles on it.

If you get in our area, that's across the Cumberland Plateau east of Nashville, we love Cumberland Mountain State Park, Crossville, Tn. (on the plateau) we live down in the Tennessee River Valley between the Cumberland and Appalachian Mountains. If you are brave enough to venture into Pigeon Forge we love Up the Creek RV Park. There are many wonderful things to see and do in East Tennessee. However, I do love the west, traveled there many times and hope to go again. Planned to go this summer but postponed due to the pandemic. I have very dear friends that have a Casita and winter in Yuma. Hope you find the perfect camper. I looked at the 347 BHOK on line and it is an awesome 5th wheel. My old camper was a Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 DBSA it had the rear bunk and 1/2 bath that we loved. Similar to what you are looking at but the same length as my current camper and it being older, but not near as nice. Every year they get fancier and with more bells and whistles. Enjoy and happy hunting.
60K miles?! That is crazy! I am about to hit 290K on mine. Bought from the original owner who used it around town here in the Phoenix area for his flooring business. Daily driver, no mods or trailer towing, just high miles. I paid to have it inspected before handing the cash over so I knew exactly what I was getting into. We looked at new/newer and the $ was crazy. $10k for the truck, $10k for the bullet proofing here in Mesa. Not bad in my opinion for the trucks ability and rather low maint with the failure points taken care of.

I will definitely keep those destinations in mind when we venture to East TN!

Not a lot of people want to come here in the summer...109* here today.

We are looking to go full-time and need the extra space for the kiddos, my work and no laundry mat. Reasons for the upgrade. I thought of adding a W/D to the 29.5, but see no viable location, no real storage space and the fridge is too small for long term use. Anyways...
Old 08-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveajohnson View Post
I have a 2016 Ford F350 SW paired with a 2017 Pinnacle 36 KPTS. Looking to purchase some Timbrens but unsure of what weight to purchase. Any help appreciated.
Did you ever get your Timbrens?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:54 AM   #39

Help

So wife and I are settling our 2000sqft home and moving into 2020 JAYCO EAGLE 347BHOK. We have 3 kids and dog full time and my two n kids some time through out the year. I am buying the trailer now but don't the truck yet. If I did my math right and under what I am doing (don't think I am) a 2020 f250 with the diesel will be ok. I am new to towing. I have driven 5th for the last 19 years in the a army but never have to worry about weight. Any help understand this would be great.
Kleinajk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #40

I’d go with a 1 ton (350) SRW at a min. DRW would be better, but that’ll do. If you already owned a 250 I’d say add some bags or other supplements to make it work, but since you’re starting fresh I’d say go with one of the 350’s.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote