Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

29.5 “quality “ before PDI?

Hi, we are shopping for a new (our first) fifth wheel & went to look at the 29.5 BHDS & BHOK. We love the new white color scheme & storage but I was underwhelmed seeing the quality of the unit at the dealer lot. I understand that the units have not been prepped yet but wow, they were a mess, so much so that I’m not sure they can be cleaned up enough.

We currently have a 2017 Flagstaff 831BHDS that we purchased new, when we picked that one out the lot it also had not been prepped but seemed like a much better assembled unit. Things I saw on the Jayco like sealant oozing from the corner moldings outside, serious gaps in the compartments in the belly, sagging underbelly wrap, led strips falling off in the outdoor kitchen, the list goes on & on. Again, I know it hasn’t been prepped yet but I’m wondering if they can even get either of those units corrected.

This isn’t our first RV so I know what I’m dealing with plus I did work in the industry in the early 2000’s so I know we can’t expect perfection but..... Since I was initially drawn to the Jayco’s from the long standing tradition of quality I was a little surprised. To compare we are also shopping Grand Design which I do feel is a better built unit but the outdoor kitchens are weak IMO, also shopping Keystone Sprinter Campfire & Cougar half tons. I don’t feel the Keystone product is a better built unit especially with cable slides & lack of rear bumper hitches.

Anyway, for those of you with 2017/2018/2019 Jaycos did you view it before prep? Was it a mess or am I just expecting too much? Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

I had a 2015 Open Range that had cable slides and I had nothing but problems with it. I will never buy a unit with cable slides.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Demand for RV's is still high and some possible problems might arise, but in general the quality and service from Jayco is still better than most other RV manufactures. Any RV's weight rating on the Axles are usual close to the max.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #4

Went to the local RV show this weekend. Overall quality is atrocious. Only a few brands have decent fit and finish. Even $100K Vanleighs have cupboard doors that don't fit right.
Lance seems to have the best fit and finish. Probably because they use CNC machines to cut everything so every TT/Camper is exactly the same.
One thing disappointing about Jayco is that they're now using thinner wood for their drawer sides and fronts.
Winnebago also has nice fit and finish in the TT's.
It's really sad that most people buying have no clue what they're getting. I looked at a Cougar 1/2 ton TT. I checked out the equalizer and springs. Most MFG's weld a piece of angle right above the spring perch to keep the I-beam flange from twisting. On the Cougar I looked at, it had no angle welded there because they drill a 3/8" hole directly above the equalizer hanger to run a wire through the frame.
There were some that really disappointed me, like the Cedar Creek Silverback. sloppy and pretty much blah inside from cost cutting. I could go on and on about all the cheap stuff they cram in them.
Only brands that weren't there were Northwood MFG and Outdoors RV.

It seems like most RV MFG's are doing the curb appeal thing instead of improved quality. Lots of Lippert Sold Steps even on the cheapest of the cheapest trailers. Awning lights, fancy graphics and eye appealing interior colors just distract the average buyer from whats really going on.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #5

Ordered our 18 jayflight. Checked it over the day it arrived at the dealer and it had just about everything you mentioned and then some ! Dealer addressed everything that we asked. It is far from a perfect assembly and everything that I missed in the pdi I have fixed myself. Dealers will only do so much and owner's should be prepared to fix the minor imperfections themselves. Otherwise I believe that the quality is on par with the rest of the mainstream market. Each manufacturer has it's perks and it's quirks !
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
Ordered our 18 jayflight. Checked it over the day it arrived at the dealer and it had just about everything you mentioned and then some ! Dealer addressed everything that we asked. It is far from a perfect assembly and everything that I missed in the pdi I have fixed myself. Dealers will only do so much and owner's should be prepared to fix the minor imperfections themselves. Otherwise I believe that the quality is on par with the rest of the mainstream market. Each manufacturer has it's perks and it's quirks !
That's why dealers have a prep charge built into their pricing. A lot of stuff to do to it when it arrives at the dealer.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #7

Speaking from a dealer, We see some that are a mess and others that look pretty good. Its our job to make them right before you even see it. We don't like the customer to see the trailer before we go though it. For the exact reason you are feeling now. If there is alot of visual issues, it gives you a bad impression.

Now that you have seen it, make a list and make sure the dealer knows you want the list complete before the PDI. I am sure hope they will make it right.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #8

Thanks for all the encouragement, we still haven’t made a decision but it’s reassuring to hear that others have seen their units arrive in the same state. Hopefully once we make the decision to purchase & they fix it all I won’t have to go back. I’ve been extremely lucky with my current rig, just basic maintenance, taking care of it & no problems to speak of.
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #9

My 2019 321RSTS Eagle FW arrived with very little to address. Fit and finish is the best I have seen in this price range. We had had it for 9 months and have camped for approx. 60 days with no issues.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #10

My wife is pretty anal when it comes to things being clean. Our Northpoint was pretty clean when we looked at it and the cleaning people i.pressed my wife when we picked it up. Pretty much white glove clean. I have seen trailers at other dealers that were just a train wreck. My dad and mom purposely didnt buy a trailer from our dealer just because the underbelly was cut around the sewer drain line. It looked like something had been repaired at the factory before it left for the dealer.

IMO, I wouldnt take that unit and would have the dealer get you another.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote