Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wayhighway View Post
So is there a benefit of the rotating pin box over a slider. I don’t have a fiver yet, just trying to educate myself. With either set up you need a hitch in the bed. Is there a weight advantage?
I have the reese sidewinder and a husky dual pivot 16k hitch. I researched all this before I bought a 5ver
I love it !!!
No having to stop, lock the trailer brakes, release the pin to the slider, get back in the truck, pull forward, lock the slider in rear position, release trailer brakes. Then do your maneuvers.
I also heard that pullrites require a lot of maintenance.
So when I bought my 34 ft 5ver, I had the dealership order the sidewinder and install it.
The only maintenance I have to do is periodically adjust the wedge, as it can work itself loose.
tazz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #62

Thanks for the info. Learning the hard way is no fun, trying my best to avoid having a bad day.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
The difference is only someone's opinion. Some like one, some the other. How long is your truck bed, maybe it doesn't matter? For example, my truck bed is 6.5 and I don't need either rotating pin box or slider.
You'll see forum posts here where users go on and on about the hitch they use and how it's the best... understandable but there's no wrong one - if you truck can turn as far as you want to turn without hitting the cab.
Will you be using rails or does your truck have the pucks that hold the hitch in place? Would you want to remove the hitch when you're not camping so you have the pickup bed available to haul stuff?

Whichever hitch you choose, you'll become accustomed to how it turns and you'll enjoy the 5th wheel difference over a travel trailer... it feels much safer on the road too.
Presently have the same truck just a 2018. No slider or rotating pin box? So can you get a full 90 with no interference? Looking at a similar trailer to purchase.