Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #1

Adding generator

Hi, new too this site, looking for ideas/options for mounting my Westinghouse igen 4500 genny on/in my '07 Jayflight 27.5RKS. Thinking of a rear cargo carrier because it has a receiver on already plus the shoreline cord is right around the corner. Looking too boondock alot so want it quick without having too unload an run cords etc. Also be able too run it while in transit. Only thing Im trying too figure out is some kind of enclosure too keep it out of elements. Pics if your set up an ideas appreciated, thanks much
Dearlh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #2

I have no personal experience, but have you checked the receiver weight rating?

Be sure to allow for the genney, fuel, platform, enclosure if you make one and any accessories you want to put on it. Fuel, cords, oil, tools, etc.

If you build an enclosure make sure you have adequate ventilation to avoid overheating. Probably need a box fan on one end to push or pull the air.

Last, make sure there is zero chance of carbon monoxide getting into the RV. Odd things happen with air flow while moving or in certain wind conditions. Carbon monoxide kills!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #3

Previous owner pulled small trailer with a golf cart on it, so I'm hoping just a 100lb. genny, nothing else but enclosure on a 500 lb, rated cargo rack would be fine. Looking at the Husky 37 black storage box from Home Depot. Yes, I figured on plenty of ventilation an some sort of fan too circulate air. Thanks for reply.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearlh62 View Post
Previous owner pulled small trailer with a golf cart on it, so I'm hoping just a 100lb. genny, nothing else but enclosure on a 500 lb, rated cargo rack would be fine. Looking at the Husky 37 black storage box from Home Depot. Yes, I figured on plenty of ventilation an some sort of fan too circulate air. Thanks for reply.
I have the same generator and a Eagle 322RLOK - My built in receiver is rated for 300lbs.

I was planning on locking the cargo rack to the receiver and locking the generator to the rack.

I was planning on mounting the generator toward the middle as it is 100lbs and I don’t want it bouncing and torqueing the hitch.

I was planning on building a white box, hinged at the back but have some overhang at the front to keep the weather out but provide good air flow when propped up.

I’m contemplating having the ends hinged at the bottom so the sides can open up into a ramp making it easier to load / unload the generator and increase the air flow.

I don’t forsee running the generator while actually towing the camper - I have a residential frig, inverter, and lithium batteries to provide power while underway.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #5

Yep, that's my plan more or less. Defiantly going too chain up an secure gen an cargo carrier. How do you like your igen 4500? I just got mine very lightly used with less than estimated 30 hrs. on it for $500 plus 30ft. 30amp extension cord thrown in. I added an hour meter an a nice quality cover for it. ;-)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Yep, that's my plan more or less. Defiantly going too chain up an secure gen an cargo carrier. How do you like your igen 4500? I just got mine very lightly used with less than estimated 30 hrs. on it for $500 plus 30ft. 30amp extension cord thrown in. I added an hour meter an a nice quality cover for it. ;-)
That sounds like a great deal - I don’t think there is a better value out there.

I have had that choke issue and haven’t had time to permanently resolve it.

Looks like they just released the dual fuel version - I would have preferred that model if it had been available as I have a grill hook up right by the hitch.

Currently it fits nicely under my tonneau cover in the bed of my truck, but I would like to get that weight at the back of my camper freeing up some cargo capacity in my truck.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

Mine doesn't quite fit under my tonneau cover, the support bars are in the way. Never had the "choke" issue (so far), previous owner said it ran fine the little he used it. Looked at the Champion 3100 at Cabelas. Wanted the remote start versus the dual fuel option, but didn't like the small fuel tank/short run time so came upon the Westinghouse igen with larger fuel tank,more wattage, longer remote start distance, fuel gauge and less $$. Thanks for reply. :-)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Mine doesn't quite fit under my tonneau cover, the support bars are in the way. Never had the "choke" issue (so far), previous owner said it ran fine the little he used it. Looked at the Champion 3100 at Cabelas. Wanted the remote start versus the dual fuel option, but didn't like the small fuel tank/short run time so came upon the Westinghouse igen with larger fuel tank,more wattage, longer remote start distance, fuel gauge and less $$. Thanks for reply. :-)
I have a 2018 F150 and I have a diamond back hd cover - this allows me to put upto 1600lbs on the cover while still keeping the bed available for other items.

But it sounds like it won’t matter soon once you put the igen on your trailer hitch.