Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Red face Air Bags or Supersprings???

Hey everyone, I've got a 2003 Ford F-250 that I use as my TV. I'm hauling a Eagle 5er and sometimes when all holding tanks are full I 'm a little light in the rear suspension. So have been considering Firestone air bags but was told of another option, the Super Springs! Has anybody had any experiences with these and would you recommend one over the other? Looking for something low maintenance as well! Thanks and Happy Camping!
jeffc1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

Jeff don't know much about the super springs maybe someone else will chime in for that . I have the Firestone air bags with the frame mounted wireless compressor and love it. I pull a 40 ft pinnacle and it hardly moves when hooking up .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

X2 on the Firestone airbags. Really pleased with mine...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

X3 for the Firestone Airbags, only way to go.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:10 AM   #5

When I bought my truck (2000 F-350 Dually) it had Timbrens, much like the sumo springs on the super springs website. I tow a Seismic and they do ok, but I will at some point be upgrading to the Airbags. For my money, I think that is the safest thing to do.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

I put a set of SuperSprings on my TV and I am really satisfied. They did not effect the ride of the TV when it is empty but the TV rides nice and level with the 5er hooked up. No adjustments to be made and no maintenance. I bought the 1000 lb set of springs. Installation was a breeze. A couple hours for two old guys.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #7

I also have a 2003 Ford F250. I recently bought my new Eagle, and although it was the same hitch weight and GVWR, according to the specs, as my old 2006 Forest River Cardinal, I did experience more bouncing when pulling the Eagle. So I had the Firestone air bags installed with the on board compressor. It has stopped the bouncing, and over all has been a great purchase. I am still trying to find the best pressure setting where I get enough stiffness while not raising the back of the truck so much it puts the fifth wheel too high in the front.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 AM   #8

Another vote for FS airbags. I have had them on my 2003 dually for 1 year and I am very satisfied. I run mine at 15 PSI which seems to be perfect for my setup in both height and ride.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #9

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Yet another vote for air bags. I have them on my 07 F250 and they work great and when I'm done towing I can dump the air to about 5psi and they don't have an effect the ride. With the on-board air compressor and gauges I can level the truck from inside the cab.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #10

Thanks for all the feedback. I've read and been told nothing but great things about the Firestone air bags but what kind of maintenance do they require and what about longevity? The on board compressor sounds great but looking for a solution that's not going to break the bank!
jeffc1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc1157 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I've read and been told nothing but great things about the Firestone air bags but what kind of maintenance do they require and what about longevity? The on board compressor sounds great but looking for a solution that's not going to break the bank!
Yeah, looks like you will drop close to grand for them with the wireless compressor and all. I'm thinking about them. Might be an alternative to cranking the hell out of the WDH. I actually bent the little pins that hold the snap-up brackets on mine they were cranked so much. And it looks like it needs another link the way it sits
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #12

At the recommendation of a mechanic, I went with Air Ride bags for my truck. I caught them with a rebate at $125. I installed myself. Thinking I would be smart I connected the two bags to a single valve. However, upon reporting to my mechanic friend was advised against that due to sway control issues. I then went with separate valves routing them thru the holes of the rear license plate. When I'm connected to the trailer I run them at about 50 lbs. When I'm not, I run them at about 12 lbs. I have a cheap 12V compressor I keep in the truck and have spliced in a longer cord to reach the back. Has worked out quite well. No other maintenance is required.
slsmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
I just went with the airbags, no comressor. On board comperssor is a luxury IMHO. I already had a 12V 120PSI compressor and once set I don't touch them for a trip. These can be picked up for $50.00 on Amazon.

The schrader valves are right in the bumper of my TV so easy adjustment. If you want, overfill them to 40 PSI and adjust down when hitched and go. DO NOT Tee them! Seperate fills for safety.

Maintenance is nil, just make sure you use a new razor blade when cutting the hose to keep square and true. No cutters as this will make the hose compress and could lead to leaks.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
I had the same thoughts when I went with the SuperSprings. No compressor, wiring, or airlines. The auto-adjustable superspring does the same thing an airbag does without the possible points of failure. I did find some users of Supersprings before I bought them and they all confirmed they worked as advertised. I think they are a good product and as time goes buy their popularity will increase.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #15

Looking at the video of the super springs they look to me the same as the timbrens, You have to squat the truck before they work! I want something that holds the truck from squatting which is what the airbags are designed to do! Also I dont see how they won't affect the ride when not loaded, if you hit a bump it will hit the super spring rather than have the full travel of the stock suspension.

Just my opinion

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ont Pete View Post
Looking at the video of the super springs they look to me the same as the timbrens, You have to squat the truck before they work! I want something that holds the truck from squatting which is what the airbags are designed to do! Also I dont see how they won't affect the ride when not loaded, if you hit a bump it will hit the super spring rather than have the full travel of the stock suspension.

Just my opinion
My current GMC truck sits with the rear high when empty as did my previous Ford F-350. I don't claim to be an expert on springs. What I have observed after several thousand miles of use with SuperSprings is my truck ride seems to be the same as before the spring install. From what I observed mechanically when I installed them it appears the SuperSpring has little effect on the original leaf spring until the truck springs are compressed quite a bit as the Superspring rolls out a few inches of travel before it starts to bend. When my 5er is attached with about 2700 lbs of hitch weight the truck sits level. Air bags I am sure do the same thing. I just thought they had more points for failure which may or may not be the case as there are millions in use today.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
My current GMC truck sits with the rear high when empty as did my previous Ford F-350. I don't claim to be an expert on springs. What I have observed after several thousand miles of use with SuperSprings is my truck ride seems to be the same as before the spring install. From what I observed mechanically when I installed them it appears the SuperSpring has little effect on the original leaf spring until the truck springs are compressed quite a bit as the Superspring rolls out a few inches of travel before it starts to bend. When my 5er is attached with about 2700 lbs of hitch weight the truck sits level. Air bags I am sure do the same thing. I just thought they had more points for failure which may or may not be the case as there are millions in use today.
Ont Pete Timbrens may or may not do the same thing as SuperSprings I have no experience with Timbrens.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #18

I believe the issue really comes down to personal preference. There are a few out there who have experienced both and make can make good observations. My personal experience is guided by application. For towing a TT or hauling around a cabover, I believe the airbags provide a more comfortable ride and dampen bounce which I think is better for the trailer.
Meanwhile, I cut a lot of firewood and haul various other loads, for this type of application I prefer my super springs because they "stiffen" the suspension when under load more than air bags would.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #19

Just as an option, you may want to look at these. I used the StableLoad Quick Disconnect on my TV for my previous 5er. It was considerably heavier than my Jayco and because the Jayco is so much lighter, I don't use these anymore. You stated that you just need a little help when the tanks are full so this may be a good option. Easy to install/use and inexpensive.
Truck Camper Suspension - truck sway - truck sag - reduce camper roll | StableLoad

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #20

I bought my airbags on Amazon. Vehicle specific kits are around $200 and pretty easy to install. I opted against a mounted compressor, too pricey for the convenience for me. I originally ran separate lines for each bag. It became annoying trying to get both bags filled and dumped equally.

Last year I bought a Tee fitting and ran the bags to one line. I know some people recommend against it because it could lead to one bag emptying into the other. If you are cornering hard enough to dump one bag into the other, you are going awful fast. Only time my bags are aired up is when I am towing or hauling gravel. I don't generally speed (certainly not around corners) when I am doing either.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote