Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #1

Awing Issues on Pinnacle

We have had issues with both of our awnings since we bought our pinnacle. When bringing the each awning in and or out, they would not roll smoothly but squeak and jerk. Rollers were not moving.

I lubed the life out of them using dry lube but with no improvement. Finally, last May, the dealer replaced the arms on both awning. Presto, the problems went away. The awnings came in and out smooth as silk.

Until today that is. My second awing started making the same halting noises tonight as I brought it in. I lube the awnings with dry lube religiously.

Has anyone else had these same issues? How do you lube your awnings.

Honestly, we have had so many issues with our 2016 Pinnacle. We are full timing in it now and I am very uneasy.

We are currently waiting for two new front jacks to come in to the dealer. We are also waiting to have our TV lifter replaced. Last spring we had both motors replaced in our big slide. We have only had our rig for 28 months!
Old 09-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Are you spraying the arms or cylinders. We had to.keep the cylinders well lubricated.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Are you spraying the arms or cylinders. We had to.keep the cylinders well lubricated.
I am spraying both. I use a straw and spray as best I can into them. How often do you lube? I lube about once a month with a dry lube. I spray the arms, cylinders and all the joints.

Do you do anything special with the cylinders?
Old 09-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Site Team

I just wipe the grime off them and spray with the same silicone as the guides. Spraying takes care of the problem but it is a constant project to keep them quiet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I just wipe the grime off them and spray with the same silicone as the guides. Spraying takes care of the problem but it is a constant project to keep them quiet.
X-2
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2
Thanks guys for your response. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. After having them both awnings arms replace in May, I am a little paranoid. Will give them another good lubing and see what I get.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
Site Team

Look at the awning when it's coming in.

If the awning material wraps up looking like a pinwheel, it could be binding the brackets.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

a lot of people had the same problem, the original struts were to strong, mine were replaced under warranty.
gowesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #9

Mine do the same, make squeaking noise, the head on the motor side moves like it is going to snap off, and afraid one time it will. I pretty much give thanks to the lord [emoji120] every time the awnings extend and retract without issues.

When extending either awning the arm in the motor side gets stuck in the track and the awning material just starts unrolling. I have to go outside and pull the arm out to get it to extend. I have tried liquid wrench on the tracks, the arms and the cylinders multiple times and still no luck. Brought it up to dealer and was told that it is normal and that is how the new awnings are.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #10

This is correct it is a known problem. Just call carefree and they will send your repair shop new shocks. The old ones are rated at 150 pounds each and they are too strong. Here is who I spoke with at carefree manufacture Chris Rangal 3034693324
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for responding. I have thoroughly lubed the awning once again and for the moment it is quiet.

I did have the arms completely replaced in May of this year under warranty.

Just hate the feeling of holding my breath when I use the awning.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivusCraig View Post
Thanks everyone for responding. I have thoroughly lubed the awning once again and for the moment it is quiet.

I did have the arms completely replaced in May of this year under warranty.

Just hate the feeling of holding my breath when I use the awning.
Look at the stickers on the shocks and tell us what they are rated for. My dealer had no clue that the 150 pound ones that were on there were wrong. I'm pretty sure the replacement ones are 80 pounds each.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
Look at the stickers on the shocks and tell us what they are rated for. My dealer had no clue that the 150 pound ones that were on there were wrong. I'm pretty sure the replacement ones are 80 pounds each.
There are no stickers that indicate what the shocks are rated at. I pulled out both awnings and neither have any stickers on the shocks.

Tags
awnings, pinnacle 36 fbts, quality