Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #1

Battery Tender

I'm new to this forum so I don't know if this is the place to ask my question. I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle 336 FBOK. This is our first 5th Wheel so I'm new to this type of RV. I bought a Battery Tender Plus and I have it connected to my RV's batteries through the Go Power solar connection. It seems to be working ok but I was wondering. Do I need to go ahead and switch my battery disconnect to off. I did it this way because I really didn't want to take the batteries out of the RV. They are hard to get too and we are probably going to use it as an overflow for Christmas anyway. Will the Battery Tender keep the batteries from freezing? I know I have posted a lot of questions but that is the only way to learn.

I posted this earlier in a different area and it said that I had 16 replies but I could not figure out how to view them.
missileer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Here is your previous post

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...age-50733.html

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Team

use this post for your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileer View Post
I'm new to this forum so I don't know if this is the place to ask my question. I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle 336 FBOK. This is our first 5th Wheel so I'm new to this type of RV. I bought a Battery Tender Plus and I have it connected to my RV's batteries through the Go Power solar connection. It seems to be working ok but I was wondering. Do I need to go ahead and switch my battery disconnect to off. I did it this way because I really didn't want to take the batteries out of the RV. They are hard to get too and we are probably going to use it as an overflow for Christmas anyway. Will the Battery Tender keep the batteries from freezing? I know I have posted a lot of questions but that is the only way to learn.

I posted this earlier in a different area and it said that I had 16 replies but I could not figure out how to view them.
OK a few questions.. if you have power to the TT, why do you need a battery tender. Plug the 5er into your house electrical source. The battery charge controller that comes with the 5er will do a better job at maintaining the battery(s). Just do not use any high amp items (AC, Microwave...)

If you still want to use the battery tender it should be connected directly to the battery(s) and not to the SOLAR Charge controller. Connect the battery tender directly to the battery(s), then you can use the battery disconnect switch, if you do not connect directly to the battery, then you should NOT use the disconnect switch.

I do not know how much output your battery tender is capable, but if it is 1 amp, it will have a hard time keeping up with the parasitic loads of the 5er.

It sounds like the 5er is stored at your home, if so why not just leave the SOLAR panel hooked up and not have to worry about it.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Let the on board converter charge the batts. No need to do anything fancy. Remember, it doesn't matter how you keep them charged, be sure they are full of water and check the water levels at least every 6 months unless they are sealed.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #5

Isn't the go power port directly connected to the batteries?
missileer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileer View Post

I do it exactly as you are doing but hooked direct to the battery with the charger, others say run the converter but why put six months of wear and tear on it when a $30 charger will do the same thing. Turn the disconnect to off so the TT won't draw any extra power from the battery, maybe check the water once over the winter, as long as its charged it won't freeze and you will be good to go in the spring.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #7

I have used a battery minder for the past 4 years. I directly connect to the battery. I switch the battery off so eliminate as many draws as I can.

I have had it connected to an Eagle fiver for two years and this is the 2nd year I have had it connected to my Pinnacle.

No problems with freezing yet.

I prefer this to keeping it plugged in. I do this throughout the year if I am going to go a little while between uses.

This has worked great so far. I know the recommendation is to take the batteries out in the winter but my batteries are hard to get to as well.

Tags
battery disconnect, battery tender, winterizing