Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2019, 04:02 AM   #1

BH slide not all the way out on 18 347BHOK

Hey all! Been a while since I posted. I realized a peculiar thing yesterday while just looking over my rig. I have a 2018 Eagle 347BHOK. Been full timing since May of last year. In all this time, I never noticed what seems like the rear bunkhouse slide is not all the way extended at the top, but the bottom is. Strange. Never noticed until now. Everything seemed flush inside. But, I ran my hand on the top of the slide (from inside) and behind the trim and sure enough there's about an equal 2" gap from the slide fascia and wall running all the way. Anyone experienced this on similar slides? Know how to fix it? I'm thinking of calling a mobile tech out, but I know they're going to tell me to bring it in and I just can't do that right now. Or at least over night.

It's dark out now, but I'll post pics soon. Thanks for the help!
Josh1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #2

Hmmm, no takers.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

Our 347BHOK bunkhouse slide looks the same way. I’ve had quite a few people comment on it as well. I will say though our fascia inside the trailer is flush all the way around there aren’t gaps. For whatever reason the sides of the slide appear to be cut on an a slight angle causing the sidewall to be angled. Our trailer is currently at the dealer so I cannot take a closer look for you. I think it’s just the way it was designed for whatever reason.
mlaughead8432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Josh1418,

Welcome back to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1418 View Post
Hmmm, no takers.
Sometimes it may take a couple days for a new thread to bring in responses, very's from one JOF sub-forum to another.

But what your describing seems to sound normal..., as lone as the interior rubber seals along the top/sides of the slide are being compressed against the inside wall, along with no evidence of moisture/wind intrusion.

In some cases a slide may require a minor adjustment and this can be preformed rather easily on-site.

As you mentioned pics would be helpful as well......, everyone seems to like pics

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

mlaughead8432,

Welcome to JOF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaughead8432 View Post
snip....... For whatever reason the sides of the slide appear to be cut on an a slight angle causing the sidewall to be angled......snip
Your correct, many slide "end-walls" are 1 1/2" wider at the bottom than at the top, depending on type of slide and/or drive(s) location. I guessing this design aids in insuring a uniform slide perimeter "firm" fit/seal when fully retracted....., especially at the top of the slide with drives pulling inward at the bottom.

You may also notice when retracting a slide during the last few inches of closure the floor of the slide rises 1" - 2"......, the top of the slide makes contact with the outer RV wall surface prior to the bottom.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaughead8432 View Post
Our 347BHOK bunkhouse slide looks the same way. I’ve had quite a few people comment on it as well. I will say though our fascia inside the trailer is flush all the way around there aren’t gaps. For whatever reason the sides of the slide appear to be cut on an a slight angle causing the sidewall to be angled. Our trailer is currently at the dealer so I cannot take a closer look for you. I think it’s just the way it was designed for whatever reason.
Thanks for the info and pointing out the similarity. Makes me less worried. I think i'm still going to call a tech out. You stated the fascia is flush all around. Mine is not.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
mlaughead8432,

Welcome to JOF!

Your correct, many slide "end-walls" are 1 1/2" wider at the bottom than at the top, depending on type of slide and/or drive(s) location. I guessing this design aids in insuring a uniform slide perimeter "firm" fit/seal when fully retracted....., especially at the top of the slide with drives pulling inward at the bottom.

You may also notice when retracting a slide during the last few inches of closure the floor of the slide rises 1" - 2"......, the top of the slide makes contact with the outer RV wall surface prior to the bottom.

Bob
Good to know! I'll post some pix in a separate post.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

Here's some pics. Hard to see in the outdoor one, but the bottom does seem wider or extended more than the top. The pic of the interior is of the right (as looking at it) side looking aft. You can see the gap and weather stripping.

We've had some good rain over the last few days here and I haven't noticed any water inside so that's a good thing!
Attached Thumbnails
20190121_121132.jpg   20190121_120924.jpg   20190121_120927.jpg  
Old 01-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Based on your interior pics it appears the slide is "tilting" inwards when viewing the location of the top horizontal and side vertical facias to the interior wall.

I see you are using slide supports, it's possible they may be pushing 'upward' causing the slide to tilt 'inward' at the top thus creating a little set-back from the interior wall notably at the horizontal facia and effecting the vertical facia a little as well (toward the top).

IMO slide supports work "ok" on a hard surface (asphalt, concrete, etc) where the tires, stabilizers, and slide supports rest on the same common hard surface. Slide supports IMO can be problematic when used in conjunction with tires and stabilizers resting on gravel/dirt

If the slide supports aren't the root cause, then a possible slide adjustment might be in order.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

Yea, I seem to agree with Rustic Eagle, but still call a tech and see what they say.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Based on your interior pics it appears the slide is "tilting" inwards when viewing the location of the top horizontal and side vertical facias to the interior wall.

I see you are using slide supports, it's possible they may be pushing 'upward' causing the slide to tilt 'inward' at the top thus creating a little set-back from the interior wall notably at the horizontal facia and effecting the vertical facia a little as well (toward the top).

IMO slide supports work "ok" on a hard surface (asphalt, concrete, etc) where the tires, stabilizers, and slide supports rest on the same common hard surface. Slide supports IMO can be problematic when used in conjunction with tires and stabilizers resting on gravel/dirt

If the slide supports aren't the root cause, then a possible slide adjustment might be in order.

Bob
No, it's not the supports. They're barely touching. I just have them there as a comfort for me if the kids are jumping around or playing on that slide.

I'll call a tech out. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Let us know what you find out...., curious minds at play here.

I assume retracting/extending the slide produced the same results.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 AM   #13

This looks like it's not a Schwintek slide. If it is, please disregard. I had a similar problem on my one slide in my 2015 Eagle 323LKTS that is not a Schwintek. When extended, the bottom of one of the ends would not extend all the way, leaving a gap at the bottom of the trim to the wall. But mine got wider every time I retracted, and then extended it again. It was under warranty, and the dealer reset it 3-4 times, and it always returned. As the gap got wider, the slide began to make popping noises as it was extending. Finally they called Lippert, and the dealer rep diagnosed it over the phone. A "spacer' needed to be put in the female tube to prevent the male slide gears from "jumping" and getting out of alignment. They put the spacer in 3 years ago, and I've not had any trouble with that slide since. (Knock on wood). It always extends flush with the wall since the repair. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #14

Check to be sure something hasnt gotten trapped behind the top of the slide frame. I would also suggest removing the jack and allowing the slide to function without support to see if that makes any difference. Just 1/8" upwards on the outside edge of the slide will cause the top to be in over 5/16" at 5 ft. If the bottom is fully out the weight of the slide should pull the top out all the way unless there is something on the top binding or preventing the top from sealing.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote