Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2022, 10:01 PM   #1

Brake pad/shoe separation

The last couple of trips have been ones with very weak to no braking at all on the camper. So I finally pulled one of the hubs and found out why. These two pads fell to the ground as I pulled the hub off.Click image for larger version

Name:	C8ACD319-E0B9-41D3-934D-C3B646B430E4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	83730 The shoes are still attached and the hub is beyond scored. Haven’t pulled the other three yet but I expect they are going to be in the same shape or worse. I’ve researched disc brake brands and old conversion threads today and was curious as to your opinions of Kodiac or Hydrastar. I’m leaning toward the complete kit from Hydrastar through etrailer but am open to other thoughts as I don’t want to throw $$$$ at an inferior product.
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #2

Love my hydrastar and Kodiak brakes. No issues after several years. You will never want electric drum brakes again. A few years ago hydrastar was the top of the line unit. I doubt that's changed.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Love my hydrastar and Kodiak brakes. No issues after several years. You will never want electric drum brakes again. A few years ago hydrastar was the top of the line unit. I doubt that's changed.

Earl
Thanks a lot. I'll be ordering them tomorrow.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
Old 08-28-2022, 09:08 PM   #4

I got my kit from Stop your trailer.com. It has the Kodiak rotors and the Dexter pump. No complaints here with that set up. I did make my own "upgrades" to my system too. But, like Earl said, once you go disc brakes you'll never go back to drum and wonder why you didnt do it sooner.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #5

Thanks! I’ll check Stop your trailer later today. Etrailer is out of stock and won’t ship until 12/5 so if it’s not supply chain issues the 7k axle must be the most popular to upgrade.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
Old 10-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #6

Finally got the disc brakes installed and I will say what has been said that once you have disc brakes you’ll never go back to drums. They are great! Period. Way more confidence in stopping than ever. I wired the actuator temporarily as I will wire in a new pig tail and straighten out the mess that Jayco made when they cut the corner on installing a junction box to house the connections. Sorry about the sideways pic.
Attached Thumbnails
42F81CDB-DD0F-4942-B837-F530FE4C2515.jpg