Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Cell booster to cover both 5er and TV?

We’re scheduled for a couple month trip out west, SD, WY, MT, next year and I’m wondering if the following combo would work to give us good WiFi when traveling on the roads out there:

Weboost cell booster at rear of the 377, wired to 12V, which would boost the cell signal to our Verizon Mifi, and then using a WiFi Ranger to boost the WiFi signal from the Mifi in order to cover the truck, too.

Cell boosters have limited broadcast range, but a Mifi has decent range alone, I imagine it would only be better with a booster downstream?

Anybody running that setup?

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #2

I have that same setup, but I don't run my weboost driving down the road. I set ours up when we reach camp for the night. There is a definite improvement in signal for our cell phones and Mifi when I power it up. You are correct that the inside cell booster antenna has a limited range. It might work best if your wanting it for driving if you set everything up in the master bedroom.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #3

Didn’t you just return from a Yellowstone trip? How was cell bandwidth on the road out that way? Looking to provide mobile access to the kid on long travel days...

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 08-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #4

Yes, we did Yellowstone in June. Honestly, the only spot that I remember my girls (the DW included) complaining about not having service was in northern Colorado coming into Wyoming. There was ZERO coverage while in Yellowstone and I warned them prior and had them download some movies to their phones from Netflix & Amazon. My ground zero was at a campground in Idaho and we all had 3G with 3/4 bars before I put up the Weboost. After turning on we had LTE and 2/3 bars.

Edit: I should add that I purchased an expandable flag pole to mount the external antenna to. You want to get that sucker as high as you can from everything I've read.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Yes, we did Yellowstone in June. Honestly, the only spot that I remember my girls (the DW included) complaining about not having service was in northern Colorado coming into Wyoming. There was ZERO coverage while in Yellowstone and I warned them prior and had them download some movies to their phones from Netflix & Amazon. My ground zero was at a campground in Idaho and we all had 3G with 3/4 bars before I put up the Weboost. After turning on we had LTE and 2/3 bars.

Edit: I should add that I purchased an expandable flag pole to mount the external antenna to. You want to get that sucker as high as you can from everything I've read.
Yep, I have a 7-20’ extending pole.

What Weboost model are you using?

We’ll be in the Black Hills, then Grand Teton, and then West Yellowstone, before heading up to Glacier, and then back east via the Michigan Upper Peninsula.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old 08-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Yep, I have a 7-20’ extending pole.

What Weboost model are you using?

We’ll be in the Black Hills, then Grand Teton, and then West Yellowstone, before heading up to Glacier, and then back east via the Michigan Upper Peninsula.
This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-28-2020, 11:42 AM   #7

I put the weboost drive reach kit in my 377 and the WiFi ranger converge Denali and Spruce. I used the stubby antenna and small internal in my truck. It came with her outlet plug for 12volt.

In the camper I used the panel antenna inside and mounted the trucker antenna in a marine VHF flip up mount in the roof.

I put my sim form my ATT hotspot in the converge in the roof and also picked up a prepaid Verizon hotspot for redundancy with a memo antenna. We have ATT phones.

We just did a three week trip (Rushmore, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Teton). The only place we really had a problem from a campground pouring of view was Henry’s Lake State park in Idaho (outside of Yellowstone) and Colter Bay Village in Teton. First three days In Idaho nothing for ATT and I had the Verizon hotspot taped to the wall under the inside antenna. Then the night before we left a tower must have been brought online. All our phones and lit up.

The converge is just crap. I’m ripping it all out and going with a pepwave router and 7 in one antenna on the roof. The modem wouldn’t connect to cell service when my phone would inside the camper. The inside and outside units won’t communicate with each other (wired), the auto connect feature never auto connected to anything and the tech support is horrible. They try to make it easy but they really over complicate things. There are other limitations with their stuff as well. Eventually I pulled the sim from the roof unit and put it back in my ATT hotspot. It worked much better. I should have known

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	62898

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	62899

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	62900

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	62901

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	62902

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote