Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #1

Question Check list for New 5th Wheel Please

I am aware that there are check lists that folks have made to help go through all the components to be sure things are working as they should. We are to have the run through in a week. Our new unit is a Jayco Eagle 317RLOK. Would appreciate info on how to locate!! Thank you!
Stacy and Brian
StacyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #2

Funny you should mention that. Here's a link to one a other member made up. You should be able to download the PDF and print it off .

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-36094.html
Old 03-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

The lists will have lots to check.
Let’s list some that might not be on the list.

They normally do the PDI with shore plugged in. Unplug so the rig is on batteries. Check everything again, slides completely in and out, radio, refer, levelers, furnace, awnings, fans. Try to drain the batteries and watch the voltage numbers, 12.2 or below is bad. Pretend you just got to a campground with no power. My daughter had a battery with a dead cell in their “free” second battery when she got it home.

Have them show you all water drains, should be 3-5.
Walk the roof, my vents were all scratched up from the transport from the factory.
Bring a bubble level with you and see if the auto levelers need calibrating.
Have them show you the slide motors and actually look at the manual instructions for each. Not all shown in my manuals, she said I could get them online, try that in the middle of nowhere...
Pull some drawers out and look in the cabinets.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
CAG

Go over the tires checking for unusual wear, sidewall damage etc. It can happen on transport from the factory or the dealer moving it around on the lot. Google the brand and info on the tire. Some have a bad history with lots of blowouts. Pay the extra if necessary to have quality tires put on if you don't like what you find.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #5

Stacy & Brian, take the time to inform your Sales Person that you wish to do a complete PDI and be prepared to take 4 -6 hours to complete. If the opportunity presents itself now, do not sign any paperwork until the PDI is complete. Hopefully you have not signed yet. The TECH/Repair people will be doing the PDI and some are very good and some are not. Stay patient and stay firm and do the PDI. You can SEARCH this site for PDI as there are a few. All will cover approx. 90% of what you need to check. Little things like, hot water on shore power and then hot water on RV power. This requires the TECH to empty the heater tank. I think you get the drift. Gongrats on the rig and happy camping. SKIDWAG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #6

Some dealers may give you $100 credit if you complain about the mattress right from the start. Most are really really bad. My advice, take the credit, give them the mattress to donate to a shelter and buy yourself a good mattress for your first trip.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
The lists will have lots to check.
Let’s list some that might not be on the list.

They normally do the PDI with shore plugged in. Unplug so the rig is on batteries. Check everything again, slides completely in and out, radio, refer, levelers, furnace, awnings, fans. Try to drain the batteries and watch the voltage numbers, 12.2 or below is bad. Pretend you just got to a campground with no power. My daughter had a battery with a dead cell in their “free” second battery when she got it home.

Have them show you all water drains, should be 3-5.
Walk the roof, my vents were all scratched up from the transport from the factory.
Bring a bubble level with you and see if the auto levelers need calibrating.
Have them show you the slide motors and actually look at the manual instructions for each. Not all shown in my manuals, she said I could get them online, try that in the middle of nowhere...
Pull some drawers out and look in the cabinets.
Thank you for the information! Stacy
Old 03-19-2020, 05:48 AM   #8

We didn't take the option of having the mattress. I knew it would not be comfortable and I didn't want to deal with having to get rid of it! We also declined two of the three TV's.

Stacy
2017 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Diesel Dually
2020 Jayco Eagle 317 ROLK
Old 03-19-2020, 05:56 AM   #9

Thank you for the advice. I took the PDI on the forum and have added as I have read different tips from the forum. We will have four of us 2 outside and 2 inside looking at things closely. I have no intention of signing any thing until everything is correct. This is to be our full time home at least for the next 2 years! We are going to lay eyes on it this Saturday; I will give the salesman a copy of the check list then. We will schedule the PDI for April 11 (when my sons are available, both engineers) and spend the day going through it all. Hopefully, by giving them the list 2 weeks in advance, they will do their own walk through and eliminate problems!! One can hope anyway!
Stacy & Brian
Old 03-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #10

Problems found during the PDI will be fixed by a technician while you are there, or you could leave it for a couple more days. Problems found after the PDI will require an appointment to bring it back and it could set around for a month until they get around to fixing it. Once they have your money, you go to the end of the priority list.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #11

Get under your unit and check the underbelly for holes/slits and the frame for bad welds and rust.
I didn't. A couple of weeks after delivery, I noticed what I thought was surface rust (our unit is a 2017 that we purchased in 2018 - sat on dealers lot for a year). When I had a closer look, it wasn't surface rust and I detected some really bad welds. Additionally, there were several holes/tears/slits in the under belly.
Final solution resulted in unit being returned to Lippert (company that manufactures Jayco frames) for repairs - according to work order, 40 hours of labor to correct frame problems, and then unit was returned to dealer for repairs to the underbelly.
OTTERCOMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #12

This all sounds like good advise. As I posted yesterday, we are scheduled to pick up our new 317ROLK next week. A bit nervous about making sure everything works as it should, and learning the ins and outs. The dealer seems very helpful, and eager to accommodate us, but of course, we have not signed the papers for yet!
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 AM   #13

And don't sign ANYTHING until AFTER you had your walk thru/PDI with the dealer.
If you find something wrong, have them fix it on the spot and make sure the repair is done to your standards before you sign too.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #14

Sound advise. Yes we have the PDI scheduled for next Wednesday afternoon, and we sign the paperwork Thursday. If all goes well. Very excited about our new Jayco.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote