Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to drwjudd Send a message via MSN to drwjudd
Chevy/GMC - 2020 2500HD... deeper bed depth

We recently bought a 2020 Chevy 2500 HD pickup that has a deeper bed depth (maybe 2-3") than previous pickups I've owned. We have a 2016 Jayco HT DSRL (26.5ft) that we bought new and have towed with our prior pickup with no issues. I have heard a rumor that with the new pickup, I could have issues with the clearance of the 5vr overhang and the rails of the pickup bed. Can't believe GM would design a pickup bed without realizing this could be an issue. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything similar with their rig/setup? Thx!
drwjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #2

Its a known issue with all brands on the 2017 and newer. Our 2016 F250 is 2-3inches lower. The 2020 F250 is supposed to be lowered 1.5inches

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #3

Thx! So... assuming you're still towing your 5er with your 2016 F250, have you run into any issues?
Old 04-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #4

Can you drop your springs and equalizer down one hole on the shackle mounts on your 5er? And you’ll have to raise your hitch and / or your pin box to get the clearance back.

Good luck!
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #5

Pretty sure the shackles can be adjusted... not sure how the hitch can be raised. Were you able to raise your hitch or pin box?
Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #6

If your hitch doesn’t have height adjustment you can always drop the pin box down a set of holes to offset the bed height.
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #7

ok Thx... I'll have to check with my dealer... it's in storage right now - hopefully I'll be able to tow it to them to do that.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwjudd View Post
Thx! So... assuming you're still towing your 5er with your 2016 F250, have you run into any issues?
The 2016 truck with the 2017 321rsts eagle hooks up level no issues. I have a short box crew cab and use a pullrite autoslider. I have the reese adapter to go from the ford puck mount to isr rail mount so that is basically a 2 inch high piece of square tubing under the hitch.
If I bought a new truck I would have to figure out the hitch setup and top of box to trailer clearance again. Luv the autoslider with the short box.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #9

I think you'll be fine as it is. However, if you feel you must get more clearance with the new truck, I'd simply lower the pin box 1 or 2 holes. That should more than make up for the difference you may have. The floor of the bed is also a bit higher, so the higher side walls aren't as noticeable when hooking up. It's all relative.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #10

I have a 2017 Silverado Duramax 2500 and a 2017 291rsts. Using a BW companion hitch. The Duramax is another 2” higher than the gas version. The pin box is also adjustable and in the middle settings.
My bed is definitely higher than the older trucks but I have the hitch at the mid point on the setting, 5r is still at factory settings but it did come with 16” tires. I have plenty of options to raise the 5r and more adjustment on the hitch and adjustments in the pin box, but it all tows great, sets well and my only concern would be if I added a second AC above the bedroom, might need the low profile version.

You just need to keep minimum 6” between bed rails and RV and 13’ 6” height maximum. As long as those numbers are good your ready for camping.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #11

Thx! Is adjusting the pin box something I may be able to do or am I better off letting my dealer do that?
Old 05-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #12

It is heavy, as you may imagine, but if you have help and a few tools you should be able to do it. I have a 2020 Silverado 2500 DM 4WD, my pinbox is a MORryde rubber, set as shown in the attached picture. My hitch is a Curt Q20 on a slider set at the lowest setting. I have between 7" and 7 3/4" bed rail clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200503_37745.jpg   IMG_20200503_59166.jpg  
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Thx! Is adjusting the pin box something I may be able to do or am I better off letting my dealer do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
It is heavy, as you may imagine, but if you have help and a few tools you should be able to do it. I have a 2020 Silverado 2500 DM 4WD, my pinbox is a MORryde rubber, set as shown in the attached picture. My hitch is a Curt Q20 on a slider set at the lowest setting. I have between 7" and 7 3/4" bed rail clearance.

You can do it, but a few extra sets of hands will help greatly! If it's already at it's lowest set of holes, you likely will be ok on the new truck.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #14

Thx AndyO... did you need to adjust your pin box? Mine is not an MORryde but looks very similar. My 5er is in storage and I am currently waiting for my dealer to get new 'underneath' brackets in - apparently the new pickup is different underneath and my old brackets will not work. As soon as new brackets are in, I can get my old hitch installed and then see what kind of clearance I now have. Guess if I think the pin box (or hitch) needs adjusting, I'm leaning towards letting my dealer handle that... plus they mentioned they may need to adjust the shackles to allow the 5er to set level due to the pickup being a bit higher than my previous 1500 Chevy. Not really sure if my hitch height (Husky 16K) can be adjusted or not. Thanks again... much appreciated!

Old 05-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #15

I had to have the brackets installed for the hitch to attach to. I did not adjust the pin box and the hitch was already at that height, I got it from my SIL when he switched to a gooseneck. If you have your dealer install the brackets make sure they get the bolts underneath tight! They are a bit difficult to get to, which is why I didn't do it myself.
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #16

If you raise the 5th wheel, have them give you a new height measurement and you might need to bring a little stool for your first step up the stairs especially when your not on a level spot.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
If you raise the 5th wheel, have them give you a new height measurement and you might need to bring a little stool for your first step up the stairs especially when your not on a level spot.
Thx... all set re: step stool and if I need to adjust the shackles, hitch, or pin box, I'll have them give me a new height measurement. Hopefully, it'll be ok as is.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #18

We had to do it with our 2011 30.5RLS and a 2016 Tundra. We took off the tailgate to get working room. Then hooked up and raised the front of the trailer with the legs to remove the hitch weight. Removed all the bolts and raised the trailer some more to realign with the pin lower. About the time we had it completely apart, I was wondering what we were going to do if we couldn't get it back together, but all went well. Don't forget a breaker bar to remove the nuts and a torque wrench to reinstall them. Air tools were a big help, but not necessary.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #19

Quote:
We recently bought a 2020 Chevy 2500 HD pickup that has a deeper bed depth (maybe 2-3") than previous pickups I've owned. We have a 2016 Jayco HT DSRL (26.5ft) that we bought new and have towed with our prior pickup with no issues. I have heard a rumor that with the new pickup, I could have issues with the clearance of the 5vr overhang and the rails of the pickup bed. Can't believe GM would design a pickup bed without realizing this could be an issue. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything similar with their rig/setup? Thx!
Does your 2016 HT have 16" wheels/tires, or 15" ? If you have 15" you may find it a challenge to get the trailer to ride level. Unlike the other jayco 5th wheels, these half ton (HT) units have a lower overhang, which makes it hard to accommodate the taller bedrail heights. I went through this whole process with a 2019 F250 and a 2020 HT 30.5. The F250 has a bedrail height of just under 59" above ground at the tailgate. I have the 16" wheels, and lowered my suspension to the lower holes on the front and rear hangers, but the equalizer hanger had no adjustability. The two inch difference in the hangers holes only gains you a little over an inch. What you need to do is compare your overhang height above ground when the camper is sitting level and compare that to the bedrail height above ground on your new truck. This will give you the bedrail clearance, not accounting for any sag in the truck rear end once the trailer weight is on the hitch. You won't get the desired 6" and hopefully you can at least get 5". My F250 and HT has 5" clearance, and I have to be careful in extreme uneven ground, but it works. You cannot accommodate the height issue by adjusting your pin box or hitch height if there isn't at least 4+" of difference between your ground to overhang and bedrail to ground if you want to ride level. My set-up, the best I could get, is close to level, but is still nose high by over an inch when fully loaded. You can see it in my profile photo of the truck and trailer.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #20

On my truck I have my MOPAR hitch which is a Curt 30k at its highest setting. That is the only way I can make a sharp turn without the morride pin box hitting the bed. I bought a long bed to turn sharp and now to do that am nose high. Pin box design should be cut higher on aft end to clear the bed. How many of u guys have that problem.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote