Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #21

CP4.2 issue

First, note that the article written in Trailer Life was written by the company that sells CP3 conversion kits. I have checked with the company that wrote the article and two different Chevy dealerships. They did not have the incidence rates. Each of the Chevy dealers service managers were aware of the problem but each of them said that over the years they had not seen many with the problem. Both indicated that they had only seen less than 5 in many years. If this problem hits, they both said that the cost would exceed $10,000 and possibly more. One estimate of labor was 20 hours minimum. Depends upon how much is damaged. Both service managers stated that they would not change to CP3. It also changes the warranty and any support you may get in the future. It may also impact emission results and one needs to check with the state to be sure it is legal.
virginia27.5rlts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia27.5rlts View Post
I have checked with the company that wrote the article and two different Chevy dealerships. They did not have the incidence rates. Each of the Chevy dealers service managers were aware of the problem but each of them said that over the years they had not seen many with the problem.
Would not put much weight on what a dealer says, GM Ford or Dodge. None will admit a problem trend. Can't blame them.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Not at all the same engine, but I've ALWAYS added Ford's PM-22A every time I add fuel; cetane increase and lubricity.

Lubricity of diesel has decreased because of the removal of sulfur. Why was sulfur removed...
'ULSD (ultra low-sulfur diesel) is a cleaner-burning diesel fuel that contains 97% less sulfur than low-sulfur diesel (LSD). ULSD was developed to allow the use of improved pollution control devices* that reduce diesel emissions more effectively but can be damaged by sulfur.'

(* Those devices = particulate filters & DEF. My 2006 doesn't have those and my fuel system and injectors were not designed with ULSD in mind nor the various 'bio-diesel' blends. So, IMO, I MUST use an additive to try to protect my engine.)

Believe it or not, I use regular old Ashless 2-Cycle Engine oil in my pre-emissions diesels. Works great from my experience and at a fraction of the cost of commercial fuel supplements. I have over 600K miles on 3rd gen Cummins trucks using it and no CP3 or injector issues. I also have additional fuel filtration installed. Which, is essential to injector health on these Rams.

I'll also add the *. I would not try this on a DPF equipped diesel as it may adversely effect the emissions system.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:23 AM   #24

I have a stock 2011 Ford F-250 with 105,000 miles. I bought the truck new and have had zero issues with it. All the talk of fuel pumps does make me thing that putting a new pump on would be an option, but there are plenty of folks getting 200,000 plus with no issues. My opinion is that fuel quality makes a very big impact on pump life. I also started running an additive to help any issues.
Zink273 is offline   Reply With Quote