Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #1

Double batteries

When i purchased the fiver it had tray and wiring for a scond battery.is there any benefit in having two batteries (12v) in line?
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #2

Lots of posts on batteries. The questions you must answer include do you boondoock at all? Do you stop overnight and camp without power? If your battery is not used except to keep systems operating while parked on trips one battery is probably fine. If you are stopping and camping in a parking lot overnight, maybe. If you are heading into the woods for a long weekend with no solar or generator you need more battery.
But it all depends on your personal choices in boondoocking. Use of battery for heating, running a converter to microwave or watch TV while not on shore power, etc. Many youtubes on battery basics and lots of prior questions available on the search bar above.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by corv65 View Post
When i purchased the fiver it had tray and wiring for a scond battery.is there any benefit in having two batteries (12v) in line?
What model do you have? Do you have the residential fridge? When we purchased our unit, the dealer "gave" us a 2nd battery because of the residential fridge. While traveling we had to leave the trailer overnight without any electrical hookup - batteries almost dead. After that we purchased 2 more.

Now we had to replace them and have purchased 6 - the new ones are AMG.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
What model do you have? Do you have the residential fridge? When we purchased our unit, the dealer "gave" us a 2nd battery because of the residential fridge. While traveling we had to leave the trailer overnight without any electrical hookup - batteries almost dead. After that we purchased 2 more.

Now we had to replace them and have purchased 6 - the new ones are AMG.
Dont know what you paid for 6 AGM batteries but you can buy 300 amp/hrs of lithium for a little over $1000 and have 300 amp/hrs of use and will last 2 or 3 times lifetime. Lead acid and AGM only give you 50% use, after that lifetime diminishes. After having lithium wouldnt use anything but

https://www.amazon.com/CHINS-LiFePO4...3424192&sr=8-6
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #5

Hard to say. It really comes down to how you use the 5ver. It does not look like a residential frig was an option in 2005. but if you have one, and travel a long distance, I would suspect you would want a 2+ batteries. If you boondock at all, you would appreciate the second battery.

The big power consumers; Residential frig, furnace fan, incandescent and halogen light bulbs. and if you have a CPAP and use the humidity and heat options. If you boondock 2+ batteries would be helpful.

Do you have the generator option? If so, then maybe 1 battery is fine as you can recharge twice a day.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #6

No no no… two 12 volt in-line produces 24 volt. Two 12 votes MUST be wired parallel.
In-line you add the voltage, amp hours remain the same.
Parallel you add the amp hours, voltage remains the same.
Batteries should be the same type (ie wet cell, AGS, etc) and near the same age.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #7

i run four batteries. plenty of power via the inverter while boondocking.
B&W Companion Hitch
Westyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #8

Thanks ,Yes we do have an Onan 5500 .We do not boondock but when moving i suppose i could run Gen.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by corv65 View Post
Thanks ,Yes we do have an Onan 5500 .We do not boondock but when moving i suppose i could run Gen.
Do not blindly assume your generator will run while going down the road. I have never been successful in getting ours to run more than a few minutes. In our case it's because the fuel tank is in the rear and there's so much fuel slosh the fuel pump won't keep the pressure up. If you're tank is next to the generator then you'd probably be ok. However, it would be worth trying it before you find yourself in need.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote