Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

Drinking Water System

Just bought a new Pinnacle 5th wheel. I'm looking for information on the drinking water system. Is the cap that is connected to the water line supposed to screw onto the bottle? Ours does not screw on and it is just sitting there loosely.
CanineCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

I too am a new owner of a Pinnacle with the drinking water system. Today I removed the large bottle and partially filled it with water. I added a little bleach to sanitize, and ran the system. Mine ran pink for a short time then clear. I emptied the bottle rinsed it with clean water and ran some through the system. Be patient the flow of water is very slow. As for the cap that the tubing is attached, I believe it is a friction fit that needs a firm push to seat it. I had a white cap taped to the outside of the bottle. I seems it does screw on, most likely if you were to transport the bottle for a fill-up. Hope some of this helps.
xcopper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. So, if you push down on it, it stays put? Is that what you saying? I did use the cap that was taped to the side for transporting the bottle to fill it. But it doesn't seem like the "pump" cap is sealing at all. It's wobbly.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

We a a new Pinnacle. It came with the new drinking water system. It is just a solution in search of a problem. The refrigerator now comes without "through the door" ice/water. I haven’t t had to open the freezer to get ice in over 30 years. Who buys their main fridge without that function in today’s market?
Now, in order to get filtered water I need to wrestle a 40+ pound bottle of water into the middle of a confined and un-air conditioned space (full of stuff) so I can get warm water.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #5

our cap snaps on, might need a little "persuasion"
FireguyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #6

Yep just push the white cap with the tube running through it down on the neck of the plastic bottle. I started using Wal-Mart to refill my 5 gallon bottle via the Primos water system that many of the stores have in store...cost $0.39 a gallon (went ahead and bought 2 more full bottles, now I just wait until 2 of them are empty and run to Wally world and fill it up. I think some Twice the Ice stand alone ice machine locations have filtered water too...just not one close to us.
pppbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I will try pushing it down harder and see if it stays put.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #8

Maybe not relevant to the discussion but I tried the system and found it not to be very convenient and the pump to be very noisy. Our 20 model has the Whirlpool fridge with the ice/water dispenser in the door so the jug was supplying it and the drinking water spigot on the kitchen sink. I have the whole house filter, which I assume is standard on a Pinnacle, plus the filter in the fridge so that water is getting filtered twice. I decided to chuck the jug and bypass it. I added an under sink filter for the drinking water spigot which means it is also being filtered twice. I'm hoping that is good enough.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Maybe not relevant to the discussion but I tried the system and found it not to be very convenient and the pump to be very noisy. Our 20 model has the Whirlpool fridge with the ice/water dispenser in the door so the jug was supplying it and the drinking water spigot on the kitchen sink. I have the whole house filter, which I assume is standard on a Pinnacle, plus the filter in the fridge so that water is getting filtered twice. I decided to chuck the jug and bypass it. I added an under sink filter for the drinking water spigot which means it is also being filtered twice. I'm hoping that is good enough.
Excellent idea on bypassing the water bottle. Here is my temporary solution until I can tap directly into the main water line and install a permanent filter.
I use quick connects on all my fittings so when I need to fill the bottle I simply disconnect my fresh water from the wet bay and plug in the portable filter to fill the bottle. I also moved the bottle next to the opening so it makes it convenient.
Unfortunately I can’t do anything about the cheap fridge (no through the door ice/water) Jayco install short of throwing it out and getting a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
E2A0E506-65E9-4EE6-8463-65A6FAAD7213.jpg  
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 05:40 PM   #10

Any idea how to adjust the cap? Ours has ridden up the line and I can’t figure out how to get it to go back town the line to fit on the water jug.
Bluelew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:03 AM   #11

The cap is kept in place by friction. Push down until you feel it seat, then insure the metal water pickup is pushed in all the way. It should sit very near the bottom of the jug
Old 05-19-2023, 04:13 PM   #12

Aside from the pump being a bit noisy, we like the drinking water system. Our previous camper didn't have ice at all aside from trays so this is a big plus. Now we don't have to worry about filters and we can make ice driving down the road without having to put water in the main tanks. True, another system to winterize, but you had to winterize the fridge anyway. I haven't started to look at why the pump is so noisy but I bet if you iso-mounted it and put some acoustic baffling around it, it would quiet it down. The noise is really only bad at initial pressurization...at least that is what I keep telling myself.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:32 AM   #13

We're not a fan of Jayco's drinking water / ice maker setup. Our noisy, slow 12vdc drinking water pump is powered by a 120 vac plug in transformer. Travelling or dry camping, and you can't get a drink. Removed jug, took ice cube bin out, more storage in basement and freezer. No winterization hassles. Brita pitcher and bottled water for us. We never care for ice watering down our drinks anyhow!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 02:55 PM   #14

We have this system in our SSWS and like it. The cap doesn’t fit the jug real well but we never have any leakage. The suction tube is a friction fit in the cap so you should be able to push it dow to the bottom of the jug. I did up-size the suction line to the pump and it flows better and runs quieter. Also, a slight repositioning of the pump and pressure line helped noise too.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:10 PM   #15

CanineCamper, not relevant to your question but thought I would just throw this comment in. I moved the water jug to the 3rd propane bay. Out of my way and more room in the basement. It fits like a glove. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:15 PM   #16

That was my original plan too, but ended up putting shelves in there for alll the odds and ends and that really cleaned up the rest of out storage area. Jug sits in the front corner on the left side which is kind of a wasted spot anyway.
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote