Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

Eagle and Revolution / Sidewinder questions...

Retired and finally narrowed down the search for a fifth wheel and truck.

I have been reading many of the posts on this forum, and have found alot of good information. I’m sure this may have been asked before...

Fifth wheel: Eagle 321rsts (most likely ordering this fall for delivery in spring 2019)

Truck: Ford F250 short bed 4x4 SRW 6.7 L diesel. Factory fifth wheel setup (puck system). High capacity Tow package. (Ordering in early 2019)

Hitch options: After doing some research, I think I would like to get the B&W Companion and the Reese Revolution 5th Airborne pin box setup.

Questions:

1) can the factory install the Reese Revolution pin box?

2) does anyone have this 5th wheel and truck setup, or something similar?
* what are your thoughts and suggestions after real world experience?

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, and knowledge.

I am new to fifth wheels. Currently have a Whitehawk 27dsrl. Upgrading to a fifth wheel and diesel truck soon. Pre-planning!
Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #2

Unless it's on the option list JAYCO won't install it, dealer will.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Pa1

We have a 2017 321rsts and absolutely love it. As for the tv, you may be better off to go with a 1 ton. I'm not sure of the cargo carrying capacity for the truck you are looking at, but my 1 ton is a little over 4000 pounds. From what i remember the pin wieght of the 5th wheel is a little over 2000. Add to that the hitch, water, luggage, people and stuff it gets heavy quick. Just check it out, not that much of a difference between the 3/4 & 1 ton in $$.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #4

Good suggestion. I am taking a serious look at the F350 for the reason you stated. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Pa1

You won't reget it. Good luck n happy camping.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #6

We have the 2017 321rsts and 2016 F250 lariat supercrew short box with the uplift on the front rear springs and stabilizer bars and the factory hitch prep, 6.7 diesel. Pullrite superslide hitch and the adapter from puck to isr rail. We love the trailer and truck. I put air bags under the truck just to keep it level. With trailer hooked up to the truck it just came down on the helper springs. Made it look like the back was dropped. Helps the ride as well. Our trailer came with the morryde rubber pin box. I swapped over Michelin load range e tires onto this trailer from previous. Not had good luck with Goodyear. The rubber pin box is much better than previous trailer with solid pin box for ride and chucking. Tires on truck are Michelin load range E. Tires can be aired up to 80 psi for max load carrying. Sticker on truck pillar says 65 psi. I just added a 60 gallon aux Fuel tank. Did all the math and aired up rears to 75 psi. Gives me load margin on the tires for the tank, fuel and pin weight. Pin is just under 2600lbs. We do NOT haul with any amount of water in the tanks. Maybe 10-20 gallons in fresh. Zero in the grays 1-2 gallon in the black. Trailer is near gross weight but not quite. (12500 lbs.)
Truck is under gcwr for truck and trailer. (23,500 lbs)
We bring a lot of stuff in the trailer, bottled water, soda, pantry is full of supplies, 12cf fridge is full. Clothes for all occasions, and I bring tools, Air compressor, battery booster, hand tools, spare set of bearings. Etc.

Going down the road on decent roads to slightly rough. Don't even feel the trailer. Rough road we slow down and try to be kind to the rig and our backs. Are we happy with the combo? Yep! Do we have enough truck? So far it has performed very well. Mileage is averaging 10 plus mpg on us gallon with trailer. Into a 20mph headwind down to 8 with previous 5th. Without trailer pushing 20 mpg if you stay under 60 mph. We travel on two lane roads thru small towns a lot.
The trip is part of the camping adventure so we enjoy the slower pace.
Ymmv

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 PM   #7

I can speak to the Reese Revolution. I have it on an Eagle HT that I tow with an F150 with a 6ft bed.
I have a love / hate relationship with the Revolution.
Love: it's wonderful not to have to worry about a slider hitch - and I can do 90 degrees on the truck and spin circles without worry.
It's solid and handles / tows very well.
Hate: (well not hate - just don't love :-))
1) You have to be straight on to the hitch when you hitch up. And it's REALLY hard to pivot that hitch by itself. So you can't really unhitch at one angle and then back in at another angle to hitch up. Not something you do often but still - be aware.
2) Sometimes the hitch just doesn't want to let go when unhitching. It has to be in JUST the right height and without too much pressure pushing back. I've had to "wiggle" the truck back and forth and try raising and lowering the 5th wheel many times to get the release handle on the hitch to move. The problem is the "wedge" on the Revolution gets "Wedged in" and tightens things up.
It helps to order the custom wedge for your hitch - don't use the generic one that comes with the hitch pin box. It helps to use a dry lubricant on the plate and wedge (even though they tell you that you don't need to). It's also critical that the dealer setup the wedge correctly - too far in (too tight) and it will be a nightmare - too far out (too loose) and the hitch will move around and be noisy.

I've learned over time - and I'm still (2 years in) getting better at it - but there are still times when I cuss that hitch :-).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 AM   #8

I am on my second Reese Revolution. First set up was a F150 3.5 eco 4X4 SB with a 28' 2440BS Rockwood. I got the custom wedge in place of the one that came with it. It was nice to not have to worry about hitting the cab or inside of the truck bed in tight turns but it was a PITA to hitch and unhitch. Absolutely couldnt stand it and always gave trouble!

So I traded the F150 in for a F350 6.7 4X4 SB. Traded the Rockwood in for a 33' Jayco 28.5 RSTS. This unit also has the Revolution but so far I havent had a need to use the wedge. I have plenty of clearance in the bed and also on the cab. Its hitches up and unhitches like a dream. Just like Buddy said its a Love Hate relationship and I hated mine more than I loved it.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

We have a 2017 Jayco Pinnacle FBTS. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.6L Diesel SLT 4x4. The length of my truck bed is 6.5 feet i.e. Short bed. Our Pinnacle came with a MorRyde pin box. Based on your history I assume you know that with a 6.5 bed it’s easy to break out the rear truck window with too sharp of a turn in a short bed. ( do not know what size bed you have)
I researched forever, what type and brand of fifth wheel and pin box I wanted. I wanted what seemed to be the best, not least expensive. Thus, I eventually went with the Reese Revolution 5th. Wheel puck system (no sliding systems for me heard too many bad things) I kept the MorRyde pin box thinking…” when would I ever need to make such a sharp turn that I would need to make a full 90 degree. I was wrong, a few examples that happen to me turning down a wrong street where there was not enough room to turn around, dead streets that were not marked “dead end” tunnels where I had to turn around because my height was too much. It eventually caught up with me and on one occasion the short base would not allow me to make the sharp turn and I accidently broke out my rear truck window. ($996).
All this said, I bought a Reese Revolution, also called SideWinder, pin box that now allows me 90 degrees turn and have never looked back. Thus, my high recommendation is the Reese Elite 5th wheel and Reese Revelation Pin box.
morrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

With our Eagle I don't think the front corners are cut back enough to run a non sliding hitch on the short box. One thing to note. The Chevy short box (6ft 5inch box is shorter than the f250 short box. Our f250 is 6' 8 inches. I have been full jack knife at 90* with the pullrite superglide. Lots of clearance with it. Just wish the pullrite was a little less on the weigh of the hitch. It's a two man lift out without the saddle. Rigged an atv winch in the garage to lift mine out

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 06-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #11

We have a very similar set up as you are contemplating with a GMC 2500HD diesel with short box and a Pullrite slider hitch. I have found very few times I needed the slider hitch. The times I did use it were only when I THOUGHT I might need it. No trouble with towing or handling. I added SuperSprings before I bought the trailer so I have nothing to compare if the truck were stock. We have made several 1K mile plus trips and all is well.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #12

Thanks Roadrunner. I have been scouring forums for information. The Jayco dealer I talk to said he really likes the pullrite superglide and morryde pinbox setup. He has been very helpful. He stated he would help me to spec out my truck as well. I want to make sure I purchase the right combination of truck, hitch, and pinbox for the Eagle 321rsts. I would like to get a short bed TV so I can park it in my garage. I am leaning toward the f250 so the ride is decent while not towing. I am trying to find the right truck for use as a daily driver, as well as for towing the fifth wheel.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #13

Thanks for the input skijwl. All is helpful!!
Old 06-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #14

No problem. I park our F250 in the garage 8wx9h garage door Still have to fold mirrors to get in.
If you have any more questions please post on this thread

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 06-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #15

We have the same trailer. Supposed to be short bed compatible but towed once with a short bed and almost crunched the cab! Had to really watch our turns after that. Either get an auto slide hitch or a long bed truck. We went for the longer truck and have not regretted that move at all
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #16

I have the Revolution on my 2016 355MBQS. Once setup correctly, I have no issues hitching or unhitching with my B&W hitch. I do have the custom wedge.

Hints for setup:
Have wedge bolts snug, but not torqued.

Hitch up.
Block trailer wheels.
Pull truck against trailer so the pin is the contact point, not the wedge.
Use hammer to tap wedge snug into hitch jaws.
Unhitch and torque wedge to specs.

Enjoy having almost your whole truck bed below the rails to carry gear.
Enjoy a trailer that tracks closer to the truck path in turns.
Never worry about hitting the cab unless you try to go past 90 degrees.
Use a standard hitch that is lighter and easier to install/remove than a slider.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #17

I saw that technique on a video from reese. It makes sense not to drive the wedge in too tight but to keep it snug enough for its intended purpose. Thanks for the info. Stay safe.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #18

If you put in a Patriot or Companion hitch from B & W you can set the hitch up 4 inches to the rear and you should have no problem. I use this setup with my 2014 Silverado 2500 standard bed 6ft and it works great. Happy camping.
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #19

Sidewinder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisg View Post
We have a 2017 Jayco Pinnacle FBTS. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.6L Diesel SLT 4x4. The length of my truck bed is 6.5 feet i.e. Short bed. Our Pinnacle came with a MorRyde pin box. Based on your history I assume you know that with a 6.5 bed it’s easy to break out the rear truck window with too sharp of a turn in a short bed. ( do not know what size bed you have)
I researched forever, what type and brand of fifth wheel and pin box I wanted. I wanted what seemed to be the best, not least expensive. Thus, I eventually went with the Reese Revolution 5th. Wheel puck system (no sliding systems for me heard too many bad things) I kept the MorRyde pin box thinking…” when would I ever need to make such a sharp turn that I would need to make a full 90 degree. I was wrong, a few examples that happen to me turning down a wrong street where there was not enough room to turn around, dead streets that were not marked “dead end” tunnels where I had to turn around because my height was too much. It eventually caught up with me and on one occasion the short base would not allow me to make the sharp turn and I accidently broke out my rear truck window. ($996).
All this said, I bought a Reese Revolution, also called SideWinder, pin box that now allows me 90 degrees turn and have never looked back. Thus, my high recommendation is the Reese Elite 5th wheel and Reese Revelation Pin box.
I have this set up with Reese’s and the sidewinder. Love it except for the perfect align when coupling up. I carry a mallet and a 4”x4”x24” that I use to tap the hitch straight when I forget to be perfectly straight when uncoupling. Does anyone have bad squeaking on occasion when turning with the sidewinder ? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
10724783-6D0C-4143-8AA0-DDCF030E413E.jpg  
1joans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #20

I have the Revolution and not much to add to what others have said, other than a comment about squeaking and hooking up at off angles.

Squeaking - liberal amounts of white lithium grease between the plates on the trailer (pivot side). I am able to move my hitch around by hand without much difficulty at all, and 95% of the squeaking is gone.

Hooking up at off angles - now that the hitch moves freely I find hitching off angle to be less problematic as the hitch moves more freely into place (my wedge corners now have the benefit of 2 years of wear too so that helps a little). I've also learned to chalk the wheels front and back very tight before putting the truck in neutral to release at the king ping tension, and in doing so I no longer have difficulties unhitching like I did when I first got this setup.

Your mileage may vary, as they say...

Force is offline   Reply With Quote