Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #1

Eagle HT Hidden Options / Order Timing

Good morning all,

We placed our order for an Eagle HT 31MB this last week. The dealer didn't let us know that there are hidden options and we are new to this game so we didn't know to ask. Thanks to the helpful folks on this forum, I picked up on this.

There are two that I think are worthwhile which are slide toppers and 16" wheels. Based on what I'm reading the cost for each from the factory should be ~600 and ~450 respectively. Can anyone help me confirm the pricing for these? I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow and trying to get these added to our order. However, I've quickly learned that the rule of trust but verify (maybe more verify than trust lol) applies to all rv dealers and I'd like to be armed with info when I call.

Are there any other hidden options that I should consider? I can't find a cohesive list of hidden options but forgive me if I missed it in my searching.

Any insight you guys can provide on the ins and outs of order timing? I'm not asking about overall delivery times, that's been asked a lot. I'm expecting 3 months or so. Won't be shocked if it's longer.

I'm more interested about timing of different stages of a custom order. How long until we should expect a vin, how long until we will know our build week, how far in changes can be made, etc. I've got questions out to our dealer but see my comment around trust above lol.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Warm Regards,

MGP
mgparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:22 AM   #2

Not sure what you are referring to...
Things like a slide topper or swapping wheels/tires are usually done by the dealer and negotiated with the dealer. I've never heard of Jayco installing a slide topper that wasn't specified on the options sheet on their website.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Not sure what you are referring to...
Things like a slide topper or swapping wheels/tires are usually done by the dealer and negotiated with the dealer. I've never heard of Jayco installing a slide topper that wasn't specified on the options sheet on their website.
We didn't know about it either, but Jayco does have options they don't advertise. After we bought our 5th wheel, we priced slide toppers at the dealership, then called Jayco HQ. We had it done properly at Jayco for a little more than half what the dealer wanted.

After that, we read somewhere (maybe here), that there are several options that you can order on a new Jayco that aren't listed on the brochures.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

For the HT that we are purchasing, the option of 16 inch wheels is not "hidden". It is a stated and priced option for the model. Are you saying it is not listed as an option on the 31? That's surprising.

Since we are taking delivery from stock, we unfortunately have to take what the unit has (15") or of course pay for an after market upgrade. I tried to get the dealer to do a swap from on hand stock but they declined (saying it would come off a unite specified with 16 inch wheels which would cause obvious issues). I chose not to pay them to do an after market upgrade and will probably swap them out down the line.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgparr View Post
Good morning all,

We placed our order for an Eagle HT 31MB this last week.
Congrats!
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
For the HT that we are purchasing, the option of 16 inch wheels is not "hidden". It is a stated and priced option for the model. Are you saying it is not listed as an option on the 31? That's surprising.

Since we are taking delivery from stock, we unfortunately have to take what the unit has (15") or of course pay for an after market upgrade. I tried to get the dealer to do a swap from on hand stock but they declined (saying it would come off a unite specified with 16 inch wheels which would cause obvious issues). I chose not to pay them to do an after market upgrade and will probably swap them out down the line.
I attached the order form for the Eagle HT in the Eagle HT vs Reflection thread. Regrettably, these are not disclosed options. At least on the form I was given. I took the time to Google and research every option on that form to try and be as informed as I could be.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Congrats!
Thank you! We are really looking forward to getting past all of this preparation and on to making memories with our kids.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:48 PM   #8

Post Eagle HT 24RE

After we ordered our "who knows when it will arrive" Jayco 24RE with 15inch wheels, I was watching a YouTube video by Haylett RV (Josh the RV Nerd). Anyway he advised that there there are in fact "unadvertised" upgrades to the Jayco 5th wheels.

Like 16" wheels -we then contacted our dealer - who knew nothing about this. They contacted Jayco - YEP - done 16 upgrade (cost $500 Canadian ). Not interested in slide toppers, but give Josh a watch.
XMEDIC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:45 PM   #9

Had the factory install 3 slide toppers on my 2019 when I ordered it for $900 total cost. About half the cost if the dealer installed them. Your dealer should have informed you that they can be ordered from the factory.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Had the factory install 3 slide toppers on my 2019 when I ordered it for $900 total cost. About half the cost if the dealer installed them. Your dealer should have informed you that they can be ordered from the factory.
Thanks for this. Was this pre or post discount?
Old 02-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #11

I was negotiating the $ for the 5th and it seemed we’d gotten to an end point but still a few $ apart. Before leaving I commented that it didn’t look like we would find a deal that we could agree on and I really wanted a unit with toppers and a More-Ryde pin box. He suggested his last offer and would include those items at no charge. I felt we both made a good deal that day.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgparr View Post
Thanks for this. Was this pre or post discount?
We negotiated the price of the FW prior to adding the slide toppers. When the dealer told me $900 installed by the factory, I jumped on it. My last FW I had abound $2100 in cost for the awnings and labor to install them. My current dealer told me that if they added them instead of Jayco the cost would be around $1900.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #13

I ordered my 2021 HT Travel Trailer from Jayco with 16” tires. I think the up charge was only $275. This option wasn’t on the sheet, but the dealer said they can do it.
jsc1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #14

The Dealer did not tell me about the slide toppers because he wanted $1,500 to install them. I saw a Jayaco 5th wheel being delivered from the factory with slide toppers so I called Jayco and they told me to just add it to the order form since it is not listed on the Jayco Dealer Order Form. It was a $600 option saving me $900. Also, I added the 16" tires also for only $350.
Paco6048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #15

I ordered my 27RS with slide toppers and 16" tires. The topper were $600.00 each and the tires came in around $350.00. The dealer had to install the toppers after the camper arrived. I was told they were no longer an option but the dealer honored the price. The 16" tires were mounted at the factory. The axles are mounted on the next to the bottom shackle mount. As long as we are talking about tires, the shock mounts are not mounted on the frame, only the axles. The dealer is asking Jayco about why.

Hope this helps.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #16

If you have already ordered the unit, isn't it a bit late to be asking these questions? Hate to be a voice of reality.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie79 View Post
If you have already ordered the unit, isn't it a bit late to be asking these questions? Hate to be a voice of reality.
You're not the voice of reality. It depends on the status of the order. I ended up not changing anything, but I could have. I'm not sure exacted when the cut off is but if your order is early stages, I was told you can modify it.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #18

My order had already been submitted 5 days earlier when I learned the factory could install slide toppers. I called the dealer and told him I had spoke with the factory and they said for him to write the addition for slide toppers on the order and resend it. They did and I got slide toppers. It is never too late if it is still just paper and they have not started production.
Paco6048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #19

I don't think you will have a a problem changing the order. I had 16" tires on my HT fifth wheel and felt it was a MUCH better tire. If the dealer says it is too late then I would call or email Jayco. Good luck and congrats!
ladder16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #20

FYI slide toppers and 16" tires are the adjustments I wanted. I found out that the Eagle HT 31mb is long enough that it comes with 16" wheels standard. Also, the slide toppers from the factory are not currently available. When the dealer told me this, I reached out to Jayco and they validated it. It's one of the supplier shortage issues. So that's why we ended up making no changes to our order.