Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Exterior Crack -Please help

Please help with any advice or why this would have happened...I have a 2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH and this crack has now started on front master bedroom slide.

We have called and made an appointment to take in immediately for service, but was looking for an advice if they try to tell me this isn't covered under warranty.

Does anyone have experience in dealing with this and if so what is cause? My camper is only about 14 months old. Hopefully you can see the photo I attached.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
jaycoCrack.jpg  
kcbandjac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

There are numerous posts about that issue, we even had it on both LR slides on our 38 FLSA. Apparently some bracing is needed as that is what the did on ours and then they add new FILON. When it's finished you won't see it.

It really should go back to.the factory for the best repair.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #3

Frame supports / out riggers are weak on the bigger fiver slide!Hope you still have warranty, Lippert and Jayco know about the problem!Attached is modified support, must have been welders first day on the job!
Attached Thumbnails
New Frame supports.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Frame supports / out riggers are weak on the bigger fiver slide!Hope you still have warranty, Lippert and Jayco know about the problem!Attached is modified support, must have been welders first day on the job!
Wrong slide. His is on the front bedroom slide.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbandjac98 View Post
Please help with any advice or why this would have happened...I have a 2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH and this crack has now started on front master bedroom slide.

We have called and made an appointment to take in immediately for service, but was looking for an advice if they try to tell me this isn't covered under warranty.

Does anyone have experience in dealing with this and if so what is cause? My camper is only about 14 months old. Hopefully you can see the photo I attached.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

This is not a rare issue for the 377 unfortunately. Many of us have had this problem. Depending on your dealer’s service staff’s level of skill, it can be done at your dealer. Mine was repaired 3 times at the dealer. I am now getting it fixed at the factory.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

The fix is removing the wall left of the bedroom slide and adding aluminum structure. There are pictures on this forum somewhere. Anything else and the crack will return. It occurs as a result of lack of structure.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #7

I found this on my 377 6 months out of our warranty. Called Jayco and they said they would cover it and it is scheduled for repair this November.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #8

Mine was fixed at the factory when it was in for other warranty. I didn't even know I had the crack under the bedroom slide until they informed me of it. There was a post here I'd say a couple weeks ago where I believe the guy said his dealer repaired his. Had to add bracing to the inner frame to support the weight of the bedroom slide. And repair the crack. So I guess its not just the 377 having the issue.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #9

Just picked up a 16 377. The master slide was the first thing I went for during PDI. Found the crack. Dealer took it to a body shop and full frame repair was done. Full write up from Jayco on the issue. Been around since 2008. I have the pdf from jayco.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:39 AM   #10
Site Team

It's not just a Jayco problem either. I have several friends who have had the same problem on other brand fifth wheels.

I fail to see how that could be allowed to slip by on a build but it does happen.
Keep your cool and follow the procedure. They will get it right with you looking on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #11

Montana's have had that same issue and now they have expansion joints just above and below the front upper and lower corners of the bedroom slide over the hitch to combat this.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It's not just a Jayco problem either. I have several friends who have had the same problem on other brand fifth wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
Montana's have had that same issue and now they have expansion joints just above and below the front upper and lower corners of the bedroom slide over the hitch to combat this.
When I told the owner at our dealer about our's he showed me 3 other brands that also pre-cut and cover with trim.

Dealer's and JAYCO service people have said they want it pre-cut as other's do, but engineering won't do it. ?????
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #13

It's an ego thing. They advertise they have no expansion joints on the gooseneck because they have better structure than the others. Well, that's not going well for them. They should of put expansion joints in like others and like they use to. They even done it on metal skinned trailers. My 2017 Eagle 293rkds has no expansion joints. But you can see slight bugling in the area from the added structure. Don't care to see that but rather see that then cracks. But not holding my breath that it won't crack.
Currently my front cap has cracking going on. They are to repair the cracks, repaint and redecal this winter. Now I have fading paint on the front cap that I need to inform the dealer about. Not sure if they had planned to paint the entire cap or not wirto the crack repairs but they will need to now.
My unit came off the line late March 2017.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #14

So the dealer finally called & Body shop is doing repair to make it look new again, he said no structural issue he could see. I complained so he’s calling Jayco to verify if they feel this is an issue & supports be put in place. We will see how this goes. Thanks for everyone info!
Old 08-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #15

I have the full repair manual from Jayco. Can email.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie camper View Post

I would like a copy. Sent you a message with my email. Thanks!

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie camper View Post

Thanks for the email. I really appreciate it.

I called Jayco directly & they sent the service dealer the directions on what must be done and told me it’s about 150 hours of labor. He followed up directly & told my dealer they must remove wall and supports welded into place to avoid it reoccurring.

I did ask him if Jayco is addressing the issue for future models & he said he knew if what in the works for the future.

If you have this issue I would recommend calling Jayco after you drop off your unit so Jayco can follow up with your dealer to make sure it’s done correctly.

Thanks for everyone’s help!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #18

Gosh that's almost 4 weeks out of service if they work on it everyday!How ridiculous such a major flaw on such a nice camper. That's about the only problem that has not come up on our 16 Eagle 321 RSTS. Keeping my fingers crossed!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #19

Blowing Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbandjac98 View Post
Thanks for the email. I really appreciate it.

I called Jayco directly & they sent the service dealer the directions on what must be done and told me it’s about 150 hours of labor. He followed up directly & told my dealer they must remove wall and supports welded into place to avoid it reoccurring.

I did ask him if Jayco is addressing the issue for future models & he said he knew if what in the works for the future.

If you have this issue I would recommend calling Jayco after you drop off your unit so Jayco can follow up with your dealer to make sure it’s done correctly.

Thanks for everyone’s help!
I just got our 2016 377rlbh back from having the repair done. Took the dealer a week and a half, I was told Jayco pays 32 hours to the dealer for the repair. The repair actually looks great and they did install an expansion joint. Our unit was out of warranty by a few months and Jayco took care of it. Very pleased with the repair.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #20

Just out of curiosity -- if you have the problem "repaired at the factory" do you have to drive it there yourself, or do they provide shipping to and from Elkhardt?
CharlesBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote