Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #41
Site Team

I have friends who are rabid fans of them all.

I have had 2 Ford PSD's so that's my favorite. IMO any 1 ton diesel would do the trick.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #42

That is personal preference, I prefer the position in the new generation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Personally, I wouldn’t consider any GM because of the ridiculous trailer brake controller position. It may be silly, but it drives me insane in my Dad’s truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
That is personal preference, I prefer the position in the new generation...

Ditto. Better position for keeping eyes on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayco NP 377RLBH
2017 Ruby Red F350 CCLB SRW
Truck Covers USA American Work Cover
Andersen Ult 5ver Hitch
Andersen Ultimate 5ver Hitch
bzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #44

I use a 2015 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500 and it more than handles my Jayco 38FLSA Pinnacle. I have not taken a formal survey but I can safely say that the majority of 5th wheel units I have seen are pulled by Silverados. However, that does not mean that the GMC's. Ford's, and Ram's give less performance. The bed size - 6 1/2' or 8' - is a personal preference. Two recommendations, 1) Diesel and 2) get more than you need: you won't "curse" yourself in the future when you really need the extra power.
usafdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdaddy View Post
I use a 2015 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500 and it more than handles my Jayco 38FLSA Pinnacle. I have not taken a formal survey but I can safely say that the majority of 5th wheel units I have seen are pulled by Silverados. However, that does not mean that the GMC's. Ford's, and Ram's give less performance. The bed size - 6 1/2' or 8' - is a personal preference. Two recommendations, 1) Diesel and 2) get more than you need: you won't "curse" yourself in the future when you really need the extra power.
X2

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #46

Can't Do Ford, Hopefully the List Stops

They all have there pros and cons, and most of us have our idiosyncratic preferences.

For me personally, I cannot buy another Ford product. It is not because the Fords are better or worse than any other brand. In some cases, Fords are better. My problem with Ford is a personal experience with the company. Back in the early 2000s, Ford lied to us at the dealer and corporate level about their exploding master cylinder/continuous cruise control hot lead problems. We had a truck with the cruise control hot lead to the brake fluid (exactly as the recall), and they refused to honor the recall. I took the truck to the dealer to verify the wiring dereliction, and they confirmed that I had the same hot lead design flaw, but mine would be "no problem." They told us ours was "fine." I told them that they were lying because they were going to recall as few cars and trucks as slowly as possible, and eventually they would get around to our truck because the thing had broken wide open in the media. In the meantime, they were cool with allowing us and thousands of others to own and operate a vehicle that could literally destroy life and property as the explosions could happen even when the vehicles were not running (continuous hot lead to the brake fluid melting protective diaphram that kept current from contact with volatile brake fluid). Many exploded in people's garages, in parking lots, or while they were driving them. Ford stalled just like GM and others have done, and it was unconscionable and disgusting. One dealer and one corporate rep told me to disconnect it if it made me feel better. Great! Now I have a brand new, hard-earned truck with half-, monkey-rigged cruise control. If I did that my cruise would not disengage with the brake. This only infuriated me even more; they knew and I knew that they were full of it.

I sold that truck immediately with full disclosure to the new owner. I knew that eventually Ford would recall it, but I did not want to be a part of it being anywhere near me, my family, my home, or others. And I was smoked by and on Ford. Nine months later, they recalled it, just like I told the lying dealer and corporate officer they would. The evidence against them was clear; it was going to happen. I just could not swallow them telling me that ours was okay: "Don't worry." "There won't be a recall on yours."

If it wasn't something that was killing and maiming people and destroying owner homes, I would have lived with it and waited like I have with numerous other manufacturer derelictions and lies. It was much like GM's refusal to fully acknowledge the Chevrolet Cobalt's ignition switch that killed and injured numerous individuals. Ford is certainly not alone; we are chum for every vehicle manufacturer. I just got a super bad taste of Ford, and it won't go away. I will not consider any of their products. It could have been any other vehicle maker; my utter disgust happened to be with Ford. I would feel the same if it was FCA or GM. It just happened to be Ford for me. Hopefully, I won't have this taste again with anyone else, but I definitely do not rule it out. I came close with Toyota and our 10 recall, highly over-rated Camry. When DW and I bought a new car last year, we did not buy another Toyota. The car we bought may or may not prove to be any better. In fact it could turn out to be worse. It's all a bunch of crud that "they" grind us up in.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #47

Been pleased with the Ram 3500 8' bed crew cab with Aisin Tranny and B&W Companion hitch. Trailer is level and truck pulls great. Best of luck on your choice.

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #48

I have Ford F-350 with a B&W companion hitch and have been very happy with the paring. I will say I all my vehicles are Ford and we have been happy with Ford products. As with RV’s no trucks are prefect and I have things I am not a fan of in my new super duty. You can check this video out for my take on likes and dislikes of my truck if that is helpful.

https://youtu.be/pvgF08M9zlg

—————————————————
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AL...0022978s8m.jpg

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post
I have Ford F-350 with a B&W companion hitch and have been very happy with the paring. I will say I all my vehicles are Ford and we have been happy with Ford products. As with RV’s no trucks are prefect and I have things I am not a fan of in my new super duty. You can check this video out for my take on likes and dislikes of my truck if that is helpful.

https://youtu.be/pvgF08M9zlg
Hey, I’m subscribed to your YouTube channel! Love your videos, they’re efficient and honest.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Hey, I’m subscribed to your YouTube channel! Love your videos, they’re efficient and honest.

Thank you! Hope you find them helpful.

—————————————————
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AL...0022978s8m.jpg

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #51

Very unfortunate that Ford decided to respond to this issue in this manner. It definitely severs any kind of confidence in their way to handle known issues
EdBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #52

As most folks are stating all the trucks will do the job. What I would advise is to go with the diesel. You will probably get to liking the 5er enough you will broaden your travel area. Then the diesel will shine and you will thank yourself for being so smart.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #53

Yep, that is what I did I had a 2500 6.4L Hemi and tow my fiver on a long trip and was getting 7 mpg, oh it did it with no problem but I wanted a little more in mileage. So when I got back from our trip I traded up to the 2500 diesel and loving it and the mileage that I am getting and plus I got a smoking deal on it and they paid mines off.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #54

Gasser not diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
Starting to dabble into considering a 5th Wheel. Looking at a 321RSTS, 10,310 Unloaded, 12,700 GVWR, dry hitch is 2045 (pin weight?)

A new TV would be needed. Do any of the big three HD trucks match up better for 5th wheels? Handling the pin weight, payload, level towing?

I thought I read that Ford and Ram beds are built too high for level trailering.

Thoughts, your recomendations?

I would kinda prefer Ram or Chevy over Ford (too many bad issues with Ford 250Super Duty in the past)

Can a short bed (6 1/2') work ok?

I know a diesel would be best but Id like to stay with a gasser, we're in Ohio(it's flat) and kinda don't travel out of the State)

Oh, and it would be my daily driver (short drive to work)

Thank you for your help
It's amazing how many people chimed in on their diesel when you prefaced it by stating you prefer a gas!
I looked at several Chevy & GMC 2500's gasser ( I also prefer the gasser) but for some reason they all hurt my lower back within a few minutes of test ride. I don't have back issues otherwise.
The Ford is very supportive to my back but does have a 'stiffer' ride than Chevy's (feel every bump in the road). But otherwise I am very happy with my Super Duty.
Had 2 mechanics in the family warn me not to get Ram. Some of the issues were ball joints going out & electrical problems.
6.5' beds are considered "standard box" these days and "short beds" are around 5.5' and smaller. Personally I don't know why anyone would want a short bed "truck" but each to their own. I need the 8' bed for hauling long kayaks but they are hard to find and not too many made. It does require some good handling skills while in parking lots as most try to pack as many cars in as possible.
My brother has 2 short bed Rams and the older one had a few mechanical issues, but he loves his Rams!
Good luck and let us know what you decide

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
They all have there pros and cons, and most of us have our idiosyncratic preferences.

you don't say if you are getting 2wd or 4wd..

4wd fords can have the wobble due to the solid front axle...

warranty work... I don't care who the manufacturer is... they all do the same thing with warrantees... they cover what they HAVE to cover period..ford, gm, dodge... pick anyone manufacturer and a bunch of people will have the same story about getting something fixed... and they hate them, never to buy another one... blah blah blah...

go gas you won't be sorry they do just fine.. 7mpg towing with gas vs 10mpg towing with diesel.. delta in diesel and def cost break even... there that was easy.. depreciation.. same regardless... just because you spend more and "get more" when you trade in means you still spent the same...

A properly maintained gas motor will get 300,000 miles and it is doubtful you would keep any truck for more than 200,000 miles... I bet there are one maybe 2 member's who have a truck with over 200k and a diesel and towing all over the country...

up here in the north the truck will rot off the frame before the motor fails...

buy an up-trim model of any of them that meet your GVW requirements.. and the one with the best end of the year close out price is the one you buy... use them against each other, don't get hung up on color, pick a couple of needed features which will dictate the package you will be looking for in all three... Remember it is just a truck it isn't like a baby or a puppy... it is a depreciating asset and the cheaper you get it the less depreciation you get to eat.... and that means more beer, chips and salsa for you...

Also look at the used market because nobody thinks gas motors are any "good" you may get a smokin' deal on a slightly used gasser...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #56

4WD,
it'll be my daily driver (4mi to work) and it snows up here along Lake Erie. It'll also do double duty snowplowing if necessary.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:57 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
Remember it is just a truck it isn't like a baby or a puppy... it is a depreciating asset and the cheaper you get it the less depreciation you get to eat.... and that means more beer, chips and salsa for you...
This is by far the best line of the year on any forum I've read!!!
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:45 AM   #58

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
If you sit back and look at the trucks running around the campground, theres a good chance that 1/2 of them are F series pickups ..... there has to be a reason for it!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #59

Quote:
4WD,
it'll be my daily driver (4mi to work) and it snows up here along Lake Erie. It'll also do double duty snowplowing if necessary.
If that's the length of the DD trip then a diesel won't like it. They do better with a longer drive where you can get them up to temp and the DPF/SCR too.

A gas is cheaper to buy & maintain. Depending on trailer trip length/terrain the fuel mileage diff may not be a factor when hauling and wouldn't be a huge diff when empty.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #60

Quote:
4WD,
Gas for sure diesels don't care for this kind of usage...

end of year closeouts are the best deals... good luck
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote