Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #1

Furnace not working in the cold

Hello all,

Have in interesting issue that I am hoping someone can help me with. For some reason my furnace, that has been working fine, has decided that it does not want to start on a night that is 17 degrees outside. I am going to list out all the symptoms and things that I tried:

Symptoms:
-Fan blower comes on and runs for about 10 seconds then shuts off.
-Does not sound like it attempts to light at all
-This process happens again after a long delay (not sure how long)
-Propane Tank 1 was covered in ice when issue began. Tank 2 got covered in ice after working for a cycle. Tank 3 did not get covered in ice after working a few cycles before it stopped working.

Things I tried:
-Pulled the fuse, waited, reinserted, tried again. Did not help.
-Turned off the thermostat, waited, turned it back on (multiple times). Did not help.
-Switched to tank 2 (all were filled just the day before). Worked for one cycle then issue returned.
-Switched to tank 3, worked for a few cycles then issue returned.
-Turned off all propane and ran the stovetop until flame went out. Turned on a tank very slowly. Did not help.
-Checked other propane appliances. All others work fine.
-Checked exaust port. No blockage that I can see.
-Hooked up to shore power but checked the battery voltage via the one control app. Shows I am at 13.5 volts.

Any ideas?

I am dealing with a mouse problem (cat and traps are getting them) so my first thought was one of those little (insert expletive here) chewed through a wire, but the switching propane tanks working for a bit tells me that should not be the case.
WeRVoyagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #2

Sounds like a control board issue. But it also sounds like everything was fine before you had your tanks filled.

I would double check that you didn’t get a bad fill, and/or that your regulator is good. Can you borrow a tank from a neighbor?
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #3

I had an issue this year with a tank. I thought it was empty, switched to the 2nd tank and carry on. When I removed the tank to get it filled, I could feel the propane sloshing around. Got it filled, was only half empty. Now it’s working. Thinking possible debris in the valve on the tank got back flushed. 🤞
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #4

Had a similar issues with mine. Replaced control board and tested fine 3 times. Below 40 degree weather hit and furnace would run for about 10 mins and trip the breaker switch on the furnace itself. Reset and same thing, long story short to this day still not working and unit is going to Jayco for repair to hopefully have it fixed.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

I also had a similar issue, both tanks were full. Started a stove burner and it seemed to only burn about 1/4 power. Looked at the regulator, an automatic one, it showed red. I read this on another another post; turn off both tanks, unhook both tanks, hook both tanks up again, then SLOWLY open the valves. The indicator now shows green, start stove burner to get air out of system, then started furnace. Worked fine after that.
Other possible issue, The cold weather may be causing your regulator to freeze up. If you have power, try a heat lamp on the regulator or maybe wrap regulator in heat tape to keep it from freezing.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

...heat tape is like an extension cord that gets hot, many have a thermostat on the so they only turn on a very low temp.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post
Had a similar issues with mine. Replaced control board and tested fine 3 times. Below 40 degree weather hit and furnace would run for about 10 mins and trip the breaker switch on the furnace itself. Reset and same thing, long story short to this day still not working and unit is going to Jayco for repair to hopefully have it fixed.
MadJoker...
Everything you described is what I dealt with.
From the start I told the dealer to replace the breaker/switch. I read it on the net (common problem) and Atwood also told me.
Dealer tech figures he knows more than me. He replaced the board.
Worked 2 times, then I was crawling back into the “furnace room” resetting the switch. Took it back again...told them again... tech thought he knew more than me again. This time they said it was because of improper flex ducting not letting the air flow enough, and they lifted the ducts for less drop and straighter line.
Jayco refused warranty and I got a bill for $470.

Then went back for the third time. I told them again to replace the switch.
This time they replaced the switch.
All good.

The furnace gets too hot..once the breaker pops, it gets weaker (told to me by Atwood tech). I must have reset mine 20 times. Until it would only run 5 mins.
Make sure none of your ducts are blocked. I think this all started when 2 of mine in the main area had something ontop of them, and overheated the furnace.
There is also one more furnace port that could have another flex duct go to the bedroom ductwork, so more hot air would get out of the furnace.. plus it’s cold in the bedroom.
Dealer didn’t agree, but they agreed the furnace needed better flow by taking the droop out of the ducts for $470..I agree another duct takeoff will get more hot air out and I will hook up another pipe soon.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
MadJoker...
Everything you described is what I dealt with.
From the start I told the dealer to replace the breaker/switch. I read it on the net (common problem) and Atwood also told me.
Dealer tech figures he knows more than me. He replaced the board.
Worked 2 times, then I was crawling back into the “furnace room” resetting the switch. Took it back again...told them again... tech thought he knew more than me again. This time they said it was because of improper flex ducting not letting the air flow enough, and they lifted the ducts for less drop and straighter line.
Jayco refused warranty and I got a bill for $470.

Then went back for the third time. I told them again to replace the switch.
This time they replaced the switch.
All good.

The furnace gets too hot..once the breaker pops, it gets weaker (told to me by Atwood tech). I must have reset mine 20 times. Until it would only run 5 mins.
Make sure none of your ducts are blocked. I think this all started when 2 of mine in the main area had something ontop of them, and overheated the furnace.
There is also one more furnace port that could have another flex duct go to the bedroom ductwork, so more hot air would get out of the furnace.. plus it’s cold in the bedroom.
Dealer didn’t agree, but they agreed the furnace needed better flow by taking the droop out of the ducts for $470..I agree another duct takeoff will get more hot air out and I will hook up another pipe soon.
Great info thanks!
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote