Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #1

Generator Prep Features

We’re starting the process of ordering a Pinnacle 38FBTS and can’t decide whether or not to spec in the gen prep option. As full timers managing a campground in the northern tundra, we find ourselves staying up-nort well into December as we shut down and returning by the first week of April to get ready for opening. The gen prep would be nice for the added propane capacity but not sure we need anything more than that. If we don’t spec the gen prep, could we accomplish the same goal buy swapping the 2 stock 30# tanks for a couple 40”s as well as adding a third 40# on the door side? Without the gen prep, what is that door side cubby used for? Batteries maybe? Would the non gen prep optioned trailer be lacking the propane plumbing to the door side cubby?
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #2

We bought our 2018 377RLBH used. It had the Gen prep. Three 40 lb bottles are sweet. I have no plans to put a generator but love having the extra propane.

I say get it. It will be more expensive to add later on.
Chopperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Same here, no plan to add a gen. Just seems that I could buy a couple 40# tanks for around $200 vs paying $800 for the factory package. Just need to verify the battery bay is in the front and not on the door side. Our current trailer has batteries on the door side and it’s tight for a couple 6V’s.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

I did the prep and added the generator to my 2019 377RLBH. I assumed the extra tank only fed the generator but never really dug into it that deeply. Are all 3 tanks tied to the entire propane plumbing system?
dbvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvano View Post
I did the prep and added the generator to my 2019 377RLBH. I assumed the extra tank only fed the generator but never really dug into it that deeply. Are all 3 tanks tied to the entire propane plumbing system?

Mine are on my 2017. Look under the unit and see if the single propane tank runs to the other two and tee’s into the main propane line.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvano View Post
FWIW the tanks on my 2019 w/ Gen Prep are all plumbed together
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #7

We ordered our 2016 gen prep but Jayco made it gasoline not LP. Yes, we have the spot for the 3rd propane tank but we had the dealer run water line and place the water softener in there. Secure & out of site.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #8

My new 2019 KPTS without gen prep came with 2-30# tanks and a compartment on the door side for a third (no tank included). No plumbing included but 40# will fit. Didn’t want 40# because they are too heavy to get in when full. Bought a 30# tank from the dealer and love the added capacity and need to make fewer trips to get them filled.
bearkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
tec

I have a 2018 with the gen prep, but only have 2 40 lb tanks,am I missing where they put a 3 rd tank or is 2 all I would have? Also is there any schematic of how to install a gen in a prepped 5 th wheel? I have a 2018 Eagle 336FBOK.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post
I have a 2018 with the gen prep, but only have 2 40 lb tanks,am I missing where they put a 3 rd tank or is 2 all I would have? Also is there any schematic of how to install a gen in a prepped 5 th wheel? I have a 2018 Eagle 336FBOK.
Nope, not missing anything. The Eagles come with 2 30 lb tanks. Gen prep includes 2 40 lb tanks. The higher end units come with the 3rd tank but they use 30's. The Eagle HT's I'm not sure on.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

2019 North Point 385THWS w/ Gen Prep

Hi All,

New to this. We just got our Jayco North Point 385THWS RV about 4 weeks ago and didn't get the generator at time of purchase. We now realize that was a mistake. Got a quote from the dealer and they want $8,250 to purchase/install (LP) 5500 Onan. I can get a 6.5HGJAB-904 w/ 30' control cable & remote start/stop w/ hr meter for just under $5,500 and install myself. My problem is I can't find the junction box and/or auto transfer switch (ATS) on the RV. I really would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also, the items I listed for purchase were the items listed on the quote so I was assuming since the dealer did not quote the ATS that it must have been included in the w\Gen Prep.

Thanks in Advance!
RWagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWagnon View Post
Hi All,

New to this. We just got our Jayco North Point 385THWS RV about 4 weeks ago and didn't get the generator at time of purchase. We now realize that was a mistake. Got a quote from the dealer and they want $8,250 to purchase/install (LP) 5500 Onan. I can get a 6.5HGJAB-904 w/ 30' control cable & remote start/stop w/ hr meter for just under $5,500 and install myself. My problem is I can't find the junction box and/or auto transfer switch (ATS) on the RV. I really would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also, the items I listed for purchase were the items listed on the quote so I was assuming since the dealer did not quote the ATS that it must have been included in the w\Gen Prep.

Thanks in Advance!
You sure you have the gen prep? Do you have the start/stop panel on the wall? The extra LP capacity? The LP line for the genset? The genset fire box? Does the build sheet say you have gen prep? On the Eagle line is called dry camping package. Not sure what they call it on the higher end units.

Earl
Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #13

Earl - Thanks for the quick response.
Dealer told us it had gen prep.
No start/stop on wall - Dealer was going to install (in quote)
Passenger side compartment has space and clamp for 40 lb LP tank.
No LP line for gen set.
gen compartment has all metal sides but no insulation.
Dealer did not give us a build sheet.

Thanks,
RW
Old 06-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Earl - Thanks for the quick response.
Dealer told us it had gen prep.
No start/stop on wall - Dealer was going to install (in quote)
Passenger side compartment has space and clamp for 40 lb LP tank.
No LP line for gen set.
gen compartment has all metal sides but no insulation.
Dealer did not give us a build sheet.

Thanks,
RW
First get the dealer to give you a copy of the build sheet! If they refuse, contact Jayco Corp with your VIN.

Your trailer doesn't have gen prep. It would have a firebox, transfer switch, LP line for genset, junction box, the extra LP tank(s) and the genset control switch with hour meter.

Earl
Old 06-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #15

Thank You Earl!

Will work on getting build sheet tomorrow.

The odd thing to me is the quote for the gen set was specific as to the 3 items I listed plus labor and tax. I would think they would have listed the LP line, ATS, fire box, etc. with the quote.

Thanks again,
RW
Old 06-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Thank You Earl!

Will work on getting build sheet tomorrow.

The odd thing to me is the quote for the gen set was specific as to the 3 items I listed plus labor and tax. I would think they would have listed the LP line, ATS, fire box, etc. with the quote.

Thanks again,
RW
They may assume it has prep when it doesn't? Maybe they added the other items to the genset cost or the labor costs? Hard to say. That quote is sky high. So I bet that includes the missing items.

Earl
Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #17

I think I still may want to install myself. Any suggestions on determining best location to put ATS?

Thanks,
RW