Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Goal Zero Yeti 3000 for boondocking

Crazy idea here, but I was wondering if someone could help me better understand if the below idea makes any sense. Not super knowledgeable on comparing batteries when it comes to amps and volts
I was looking at the goal zero yeti 3000 with two of the 200w solar panels. I was thinking instead of mounting panels to the roof, reworking the electrical, and buying 4x6v batteries I could us the yeti, and with an adapter, plug into the 30amp hookup.

Does this sound like a terrible idea. Is the lithium battery providing anything close to 4 of the 6v golf cart batteries. I see the benefits of goal zero as the panels can be moved if I'm parked under a tree, lighter with the lithium batteries, and no modifications to the electrical if I can plug into the 30amp. I get a pretty decent discount on goal zero so price isn't as big of a factor. Below is the battery info for the yeti 3000 and output plugs. Thanks

Cell chemistry: Li-ion NMC
Pack capacity: 3075Wh (10.95V, 280.8Ah)
Single Cell Equivalent Capacity: 842Ah @ 3.65V
12V Power Pole port (output): 12V, up to 20A (240W max)
120V AC Inverter: 120VAC 60Hz, 12.5A (1500W, 3000W surge)
fabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #2

I like this. But I don't see a 30 amp plug.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Interesting idea. I did two 6v batteries with a Renogy 200W kit for about $1K, but the Yeti can also do backup for your home and can be fully charged on sunny days for use on cloudy days, and, as you said, moved to the sun if parked in the shade. You don't have to rework your wiring for solar though. I connected the solar controller to the batteries. I would have to add an inverter for 110v, but I don't need 110v for boon docking.