Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #1

Heat Pump-good idea?

We just ordered a 2021 36SSWS. With two fireplaces we didn’t opt for the heat pump. However, at only $190 more wondering if it would be kinda dumb not to have that option available. Realize it is also one more thing to screw up, but haven’t seen much here about problems. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #2

I've had heat pumps in our last two (08 & 15) and personally I like them since it keeps the air circulating more evenly. You have to remember they are only good down to around 40 degrees so it also will depend on where you travel to. Since we spent many of the winter months in Central FL they were ideal.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstannard View Post
We just ordered a 2021 36SSWS. With two fireplaces we didn’t opt for the heat pump. However, at only $190 more wondering if it would be kinda dumb not to have that option available. Realize it is also one more thing to screw up, but haven’t seen much here about problems. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bill
Get it added. Dirt cheap option whether you use it or not. They are nice to lessen your LP in mid temps.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

I agree, the heat pump is a great option, I have it on my 2015 Pinnacle. If you are in moderate temperatures and have electricity it will save on propane, probably enough to pay the price difference if you use it much when a heater is needed.
rod_finlayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #5

Definitely go with the heat pump!! I wish they made it available on the bedroom unit also.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #6

We had 2 in our last fifth wheel and wouldn't be without them. When we bought the new Pinnacle I had the dealer change out both a/c's to the low profile version ac/heat pumps. The living room air already had a heat pump and was programmed in to the BMPro system. It took several phone calls to get it done but finally figured out how to get the system to recognize the bedroom heat pump. I haven't tried them yet but will certainly get the chance when we get to our Colorado camp ground next week.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #7

Bill,
If you haven’t gotten the hint yet, make the phone call and add the heat pump. Redundancy is a good thing. And when the campground is often paying for the electricity, then you are saving on propane. The fireplaces are quaint and cheerful but won’t heat the rig without help. We are about to move from 106 F during the days to lows of 19 F overnight in the mountains. The heat pump won’t help below about 40-45 F as others have said but it will help in the early evening after sundown and save gas.

When we bought our unit off the lot, we misunderstood and though that both of our Coleman Mach 8’s wren heat pump versions but only one was (one digit difference in the model #). If we had ordered from the factory we would have specified both.

Good luck with the rig and congrats. Ours makes a great home.

Just watch that bedroom door. ;-)

Angus.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote