Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

Horrible product-Norcold 2118 Fridge

In 2020 I purchased a Pinnacle and it had a Norcold 2118 fridge. The fridge is terrible. My fridge went out 3 separate times in the first month, preventing my family's first trip with the new camper for 6 weeks due to the ongoing fridge problem. It appeared to be a fan(s) problem each time. They said they fixed the issue(s). Well, in 2021 the issue returned and had to be fixed, along with an issue with the circuit twice. Norcold should replace the fridge with a new unit since it still is under warranty. However, not the case. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT purchase a camper with Norcold 2118.
Junker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #2

Same fridge in my 2020 pinnacle. No problems with it's fans other than there's not enough of them. Added one exterior fan at top vent to exhaust heat and Velcro mounted one inside for better circulation. Usually set on 4 or 5 depending on outside temp. Fridge works well after adjusting the doors, the center flap was dragging on cabinet bottom. Dealer was clueless about fridge not cooling properly, keep on them and good luck.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #3

I wish I could say the same. My dealer had a rep from Norcold Corp repair the fridge the third time. Said it should be fine now. Not the case. When RVers purchase campers and still have a warranty, they should have to fix the units instead of the RVers. My camper has been in the shop four times cause of the fridge. Its obviously a flaw in the unit, so the simple thing to do is replace it.
Junker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #4

Problems with these largely result from the manufacturer's not actually installing them according to Norcold guidance, or sort of following it, but doing a really crap job of it. I had many issues with cooling performance, reliability, etc. until I finally addressed the shortcomings of the install myself. Now the unit works as advertised, generally around 5-10' in the freezer, 34-38 degrees in the fridge.

Assuming it is installed in a slide? If so, def look on the site for threads related to this.

Is there is a recurring board failure, etc. I would push for them to install a new cooling unit vs the whole fridge, as the cooling unit is the only real functional aspect. Then address the rest of the install issues.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaM3 View Post
Problems with these largely result from the manufacturer's not actually installing them according to Norcold guidance, or sort of following it, but doing a really crap job of it. I had many issues with cooling performance, reliability, etc. until I finally addressed the shortcomings of the install myself. Now the unit works as advertised, generally around 5-10' in the freezer, 34-38 degrees in the fridge.

Assuming it is installed in a slide? If so, def look on the site for threads related to this.

Is there is a recurring board failure, etc. I would push for them to install a new cooling unit vs the whole fridge, as the cooling unit is the only real functional aspect. Then address the rest of the install issues.
Bingo! All my units didn't have the fridges installed correctly as per Norcold or Dometic. Once I made the corrections to the compartments, the fridges worked beautifully and reliable. Had to run them at different settings to prevent freezing. Most manufacturers don't follow the fridge manufacturer specs for the compartment. With your compartment correct and keeping it level, it will keep your ice cream hard. Also door seals need to be good too. Need to defrost as needed to keep performance up.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:04 AM   #6

Same unit in my 2018 NP. We have not experienced any issues and we are fulltimers so it gets plenty of run time.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote