Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

Hydroflame/Atwood/Dometic furnace reset

Many of us do not have an access door to the furnace. If your RV is like ours you have to open a panel that you have to remove and crawl on your side over wires and hoses to just touch the furnace. Now try to find the reset switch, or remove the furnace. Anyway the control board has been replaced 3 times and the sail switch once. Every time the failure occurs the fan comes on, no sound of the ignitor, then off. It happened again last night. Fortunately I ran the heat pump. However, it won't work if it freezes. So out of desperation I pulled the 20 amp furnace fuse and went for coffee. About 20 minutes later I put the fuse back, set the thermostat to heat/gas and the furnace blower came on, ignitor fired, gas burned, heat until temperature setpoint was reached. So an easier way to reset the furnace may be to pull the furnace fuse. Hope this helps somebody.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

I bought a replacement switch for that reset switch on top of the heater just in case. That switch has the cb inside that resets when u push it. Now I wonder if it resets after no power to it. Interesting!
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #3

Number of people relocate the switch if it is hard to reach.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:49 PM   #4

Yup on that. Wonder if it resets with no power like he said.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:45 AM   #5

Here is a link to the installation manual for our model. It has all kinds of diagnostic instructions in it. https://epi.dometic.com/externalasse...ref=2044753821

This page shows the difference between hard and soft faults. Soft faults reset themselves, hard faults, you must turn it off and back on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.41.18 AM.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	77856

It would be nice if you could see the circuit board error code LED without removing the unit from the trailer.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:41 AM   #6

Two days ago the heat pump stopped working. So did the furnace. Fortunately we had a space heater and kept the place warm. Pulled the list of appliances with model and serial numbers and call RV Products in Kansas for help. The guy, Perry, was fantastic providing a trouble shooting flowchart and a hand drawn wiring diagram of the Aixcel thermostat. He said start there because it's easier than getting on the roof. I removed the thermostat from the wall and checked the voltages on the pins: 12 vdc, fan, compressor, etc. Everything checked correct. So I did the hard reset on the furnace, pulled the thermostat fuse to reset it, and turned off the CB to the heat pump. Turned everything back on and the furnace and heat pump worked. Whooppee!!! So I remounted the thermostat and felt good until it didn't work. Heat pump and furnace didn't come on. I pulled the thermostat off the wall checked the pin voltages and reset everything. Now the thermostat is hanging by the wires not against the wall and as of 12:30 am it's still working. Thus, something in the mounting to the wall disrupts everything. Maybe the hole is too small. I don't know but it seems to be working, and I didn't have to get on the roof, which is impossible for me. I switched to furnace from heat pump and it works. Went back to heat pump. It still works. I have to say the customer service and knowledge of the folks at RV Products/Coleman Mach/Airxcel are great.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:30 PM   #7

So here we are on 1/2/22 where the electric worked but the furnace didn't last night. This morning I pulled the fuse on the furnace and the thermostat. Now everything works, but for how long?
Old 01-07-2022, 01:14 AM   #8

It is 1/7/2022 and the heat pump is still working but the furnace doesn't. After lots of discussion with RV Products I concluded the thermostat is the problem. He said a wire in the wall. To pay someone to trace the wire would probably cost as much if not more than the thermostat, I ordered a thermostat. Best part is it is Bluetooth so I can drive it from the phone. If anyone is interested in this saga, please, respond. Else I'll shutuo.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #9

Let us know if that is the fix. Hopefully not a wire.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:19 AM   #10

Here's the rest of the story. I have been waiting parts; new thermostat, leads for the DVM that don't short between the wires, butt splices, etc. DW decided the counter was too junky and put my accumulation away, but doesn't know where. I have the new thermostat and that's it. So I stuffed the old thermostat back in the mount this afternoon, giving up. It works. To heck with it. If it fails again I may find the parts. I have but cannot find the furnace board, leads for the DVM, butt splices, and a Bluetooth thermostat.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Number of people relocate the switch if it is hard to reach.
Sounds like a plan.. Mine is tucked away behind a panel as well an heavily blocked by wires, plumbing and ducting. Wish they would have placed a door for easy access.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Sounds like a plan.. Mine is tucked away behind a panel as well an heavily blocked by wires, plumbing and ducting. Wish they would have placed a door for easy access.
I emailed Jayco for the side drawing for our 315 RLTS to see where the frame and struts were. They left a square right where I would put the door. Funny, they saved $35 by not putting in the door, although the hole in the frame is there. The control board has been replaced 3 times and the sail switch once, under warranty. It cost them over 10 times the savings on the door. I ordered a door and will cut the hole when I get home.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #13

Thomson,
That is great! I assume u will drill the four corners from the inside and than cut from the outside. My heater is on top of my water heater. I have to get back in there and check but believe it sits on a piece of thin wood on support legs. Is yours set up the same way? I was thinking of also doing a door just in case. I have had to replace all the docking station water valves and heater check valve. No easy task with all the junk in the way. Take pics and post how u did this to help others out.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #14

First, our furnace sits on a platform over the water heater, apparently just like yours. However, some of the techs told me they couldn't install the door because the framework is in the way. So get the streetside wall diagram from Jayco. They sent me a pdf via email. Next, check around with a stud finder just to be sure.
We bought the door from Panther RV Products in Washougal, WA. To get the right one you have to give them the model number of your furnace. BTW the door frame is bigger than the furnace so there may be a bigger hole on the outside. It will be a couple of months before I get home. So I've given you some things to think about.