Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #1

Pleated window shades

I have a 2020 Eagle 317-RLOK and I’m having problems with my pleated window shades. Sliding these shades up and down causes wear on the covering over the tensioned strings. Eventually the covering wears out and makes the shades inoperable. If possible, I would like to replace the shades with the 1 inch wide vinyl shades. I need to know how the window trim comes off or apart so I have full access to install new shades. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mojo3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Team

I've re-strung a couple of our pleated shades and our valences are attached to the walls with angle brackets underneath. Two of them on the smaller windows, and three on the large one. I get them off with a square bit (Robertson) screwdriver leaving the brackets attached. It makes it easier to put them back up.

Loosening the string tension reduces our wear and tear for a little longer. Just tight enough to keep the shade up.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 02:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I inspected my installations a little closer and found some that were installed with the clips, another was screwed into the ceiling above my theater seating, and yet another was screwed into the bottom of my cabinets over my rear window. Hopefully ��, when I install my new shades they’ll last a lot longer than the ones with the strings. This is my third year with this unit and I’ve had nothing but problems with this type of shade. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Team

You're very welcome. Our TT is small, and only has 5 windows, one with a miniblind at the sink. The first cord issue was a sharp grommet the cord passed through. We bought a cord replacement kit with tons of new cord, springs and grommets, plus some cord tensioners. About $15 or so on Amazon. One more shade to do a preemptive cord renewal in the spring. It's looking a little worn.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 02-19-2022, 04:34 PM   #5

Yeah, the pleated blinds are a bit troublesome but I’ve learned to live with them. Over our 7+ years of ownership I think I’ve only replaced a couple of cords. My failures are usually the tensioners (buttons). The type that Jayco used are not very durable and I’ve replaced quite a few. I found some replacements that are a 2 piece design and much more durable than the originals which have 2 small holes the cord is threaded thru and tied. The plastic around the holes breaks easily. I recall several posters have replaced their shades with mini-blinds or similar. I saw some “MCD” shades at an RV show and looked into them but decided it was more $$ than I wanted to spend (we have 10 shades). As JFlight suggests the grommets that the cord passes through may be causing some of the wear combined with too much tension.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Yeah, the pleated blinds are a bit troublesome but I’ve learned to live with them. Over our 7+ years of ownership I think I’ve only replaced a couple of cords. My failures are usually the tensioners (buttons). The type that Jayco used are not very durable and I’ve replaced quite a few. I found some replacements that are a 2 piece design and much more durable than the originals which have 2 small holes the cord is threaded thru and tied. The plastic around the holes breaks easily. I recall several posters have replaced their shades with mini-blinds or similar. I saw some “MCD” shades at an RV show and looked into them but decided it was more $$ than I wanted to spend (we have 10 shades). As JFlight suggests the grommets that the cord passes through may be causing some of the wear combined with too much tension.

I’ve tried adjusting the cords but I’m never satisfied with the way they ended up. There’s got to be something better on the market. It might take some time but I’d rather be looking than have to keep working on these things. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:37 PM   #7
Site Team

There is a fine line between too loose, too tight, and just right. After replacing the cord on the first one, i noticed you only need to adjust one side. The cords connect to a free floating spring in the top, so are in essence one long cord. I'll adjust the one side, run it up and down a time or two to make sure it's where I want it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 02-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #8

I've replaced all mine with the Shade Pro Day and Night Roller Shades. They are a little pricey, so I did a couple at a time until they were all done. Money well spent, too. The shade during the day is nice and helps keep things cool while you can still see out. The night shades are total blackout.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote