Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

I have to level with you.

Third time out today with the rig and for the first time we had trouble leveling . Blinking red light on the Auto-level panel was followed by the "out of stroke" on the Lippert One-control panel in the rig control panel.

The center leveling jacks in front of the tandem wheels never went down.

A Carpenter's level in the rig indicated pretty close to level and the Lippert One-Control panel indicated 1 degree of out-of level on left side. The site looked pretty level to me but there was sand.

Lippert support would not answer on a Sunday so we left it as is for now. We put out the slides successfully.

My limited experience and feeble knowledge make mt think we should try this in the morning...

Reconnect the truck to support the king pin.
Retract all.
Stack a couple more lego-style blocks under the front landing gear to allow greater range of motion there.
Extend front gear enough to remove truck,
Stack blocks under the leveling jacks to help them them too to reduce required range of motion.
Repeat Auto-level.

Does this sound right?

Thanks all
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

Have you puled the pins in lowered the legs on the Jacks down. They go down quite a ways. that could solve the problem if you haven’t done it. I do it on the center and rear jacks.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

Yup you are on the right track.
I have the 4 point system. Found that you still need blocks. I made 4up out of pressure treated 3/4 inch plywood and 2x8 inch boards. Plywood on each side of 2x8 and no more out of stroke errors. Oh did you know the rear jacks also manual extend? When retracted if you pull the pin at the bottom you can adjust. I prefer the wood blocks. Put handles on them, find the trailer moves less if you dont extend the jacks as much

YMMV

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:07 AM   #4

If the site was relatively level you shouldn’t need any blocks. But I usually always use some.

I had to help another camper out a couple weeks ago. He had a N. Point and so assumed I was a NP expert. LOL... I’m a relative newbie.

He was on a concrete pad. Level. But was getting out of stroke on one of the rears.
First thing I looked at was his front jacks. I asked how much room he left between the ground and feet before he began extending. He said none. The dealer told him to drop the legs all the way down. ???

We hitched him up and left 4-6” then lowered the front jacks to unhitch. Everything worked as expected.

The front needs room to come down below the hitch height in many, if not all, situations.

You may have done all that correctly. But thought I would share a recent troubleshooting experience.

I did NOT know the rear and center jacks could be manually extended like the front! That is good to know and I will check it out after coffee.

Beautiful Wife

Ladd & Stacy
Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #5

As Ladd says, the front jacks should be kept 4” to 6” from the ground when adjusting them before automatic levelling. The pin box should be angled so it is above level. That is all stated in the Lippert video.

The center and rear jacks can be lowered individually, manually, as opposed to automatically using the control pad in the 5er. If you pull the pin holding the feet in the sleeve of the center and rear jacks the foot will lower but will fall out of the sleeve after the 10” of pipe ends and there are no other pin holes for adjustment on that piece. There is no direction in the video for doing so.

I try to level with the Lynx levellers under the wheels and use Lynx levellers under the jacks to makes sure the 10” of down stroke isn’t maxed out. That way it is easier to compensate for the offset of a few degrees from side to side.

If I get the blinking red light I retract all, turn off the 12 volt power with the battery switch, give a few seconds and start over. It’s usually because one or more jack stroke length is maxed out.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
tec

I’m new to fifth wheels as well, and I didn’t know about leaving 4-6” on the front jacks. I just brought my new trailer to my house to load it up, heading towards Nevada on sat to try everything out ina warmer area. Glad I looked at this thread, the first time I tried leveling got the same red light and message. Thanks for the great info!
tec is offline   Reply With Quote