Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #1

Install aftermarket autolevel

Has anyone added an aftermarket autolevel kit to replace manual front legs and jacks in rear? Is it worth effort/cost and what solution did you use?
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #2

Should be a bolt on kit and fairly easy to install. Check your frame, you may have the rear jack brackets. Kit should come with bolt on brackets.

I wouldn't own a trailer without auto leveling. Hydro is better but the electric works good. On my second 5th wheel with auto leveling. First was hydo and now this one with electric.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #3

My last camper had lippert ground control. I dont have brackets on frame so they would have to be added..... i know that there are other mfg out there besides lippert.... lippert wants almost 3k for their kit..... not sure if worth effort and cost....
Old 02-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #4

I believe the factory option was 2400ish?? So I'd imagine the aftermarket kit would be higher. Shop around. Etrailer sells the aftermarket kits I believe. Install it yourself and save from paying labor.

There really isn't many options as almost all are Lippert or owned by Lippert. I had Lippert hydro levelup and this current has the Lippert electric. Ground control I guess or used to be called that. Had no issues with either system. I camp in some hairy sites and fields all the time.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBuley View Post
Has anyone added an aftermarket autolevel kit to replace manual front legs and jacks in rear? Is it worth effort/cost and what solution did you use?
If I were to do it i would look at BIG FOOT.

5th Wheel Trailers
Old 02-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #6

We had the Equalizer 6pt hydraulic system added to our 5er. You can take to their shop in Elkhart for install which we did. It was worth the cost to me, maybe not for someone else.
It's nice to put the front jacks down, unhitch then autolevel. Sometimes you still have to add a block if site real uneven. You can use it to change a flat & do the EZ lube greasing . I would do it again plus I will never buy another new rv without auto level. Their is also Big Foot & Bull Frog addon kits and then LCI has a kit which would be my last choice.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #7

I guess i am looking to see if anyone has done it themselves. Cost isnt the issue as much as complexity of install. I want to do it myself if possible. My only reservation is having to take off underbelly plastic cover. Was hoping someone else has found way to install without removing that. Jayco ran washer/nail into frame instead of self tap screws. No small feat to remove all those nails and later replace with self tappers..... my last camper had auto level. It hardly ever worked correctly and often i had to go to manual mode to fix. I dont mind having a level system i have to run manual.... just trying to get away from having to constant use pads under tires and manual level mechanically.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

The leg mounts go on outside of frame beams so you shouldn't have to remove bottom unless you are going to drill & bolt brackets. Weld them on.
We went to Equalizer System's shop because it was only $500 labor plus it was an excuse for a trip. I had given a lot of thought to both LCI or Bullfrog electric system but at the time neither offered a 6 pt aftermarket kit. Only Equalizer & Bigfoot were the hydraulic units I could find with 6pt ( maybe overkill on a 35ft but what I wanted period ) . Factory shop did ours in not quite 2 days and they let us use their hookup at night during install.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #9

I looked at that hydraulic system. Seems easier to install than Lippert ground control. I dont have install company around here. I guess i wonder if anyone in forum has done the install themselves and what if any problems were encountered.....
Old 02-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
I looked at that hydraulic system. Seems easier to install than Lippert ground control. I dont have install company around here. I guess i wonder if anyone in forum has done the install themselves and what if any problems were encountered.....
Equalizer had some install companies around the country they recomended . I was going to install myself but for $500 we went from here in Tx to Elkhart. Went back home thru Ky to see Mammoth Cave. We had just retired about 6 months earlier so time wasn't an issue.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #11

The Equalizer kit is impressive (in my opinion). I believe they have a good reputation and have been around the horse trailer industry (live in kind) for a long time. They aftermarket add on kit looks very complete.

I must say that I am definitely jealous of the 2020 models that come with this system over the LCI Ground Control that came on mine.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #12

Weight and cost.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #13

I looked into this for my 2019 Redhawk 25R. It has brackets for the equalizer system. I called big foot they said they would have to cut those brackets off and Weld on their’s because the bolt patterns are different. I also spoke to equalizer of course They said no problem come on down! As others have said I think the right thing is to go to Elkhart Indiana and have equalizer do it. I’m in no condition to do this type of work anymore. Just my opinion
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #14

About that..... i live in Mass.... not exactly a day trip to haul all the way to Indiana. That is why i was researching how to do it myself
Old 03-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #15

Quote:
About that..... i live in Mass.... not exactly a day trip to haul all the way to Indiana. That is why i was researching how to do it myself
It’s an RV, if I do decide I would make a trip of it from south florida.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #16

Does anyone know the added weight of adding the equalizer system?
Old 03-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #17

Agreed, it is an RV. But if im gonna travel that kinda distance, it better be a VK and not to install level kit. Again, I am not looking go have someone do this, i sant to do it myself, that was what i was looking for info on.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #18

I live about an hour 45 minutes from Elkhart. Going to meet up with 3 other couples in june at a campground in Elkhart. I'm going to swing by and check them out.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #19

The Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
We had the Equalizer 6pt hydraulic system added to our 5er. You can take to their shop in Elkhart for install which we did. It was worth the cost to me, maybe not for someone else.
It's nice to put the front jacks down, unhitch then autolevel. Sometimes you still have to add a block if site real uneven. You can use it to change a flat & do the EZ lube greasing . I would do it again plus I will never buy another new rv without auto level. Their is also Big Foot & Bull Frog addon kits and then LCI has a kit which would be my last choice.
The Equalizer people are the greatest . They will talk to you on the phone and answer any question you may have. We just added four levelers to our new Nexus Triumph 32T. The let you plug in at no charge. Can’t beat the price. Highly recommended.✝️🇺🇸👍
The Doghoues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doghoues View Post
The Equalizer people are the greatest . They will talk to you on the phone and answer any question you may have. We just added four levelers to our new Nexus Triumph 32T. The let you plug in at no charge. Can’t beat the price. Highly recommended.✝️🇺🇸👍
They take good care of thier customers. Our appoiment was on a Monday so we stayed at the KOA upon arrival then used the shop hookup.