Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2023, 12:53 PM   #1

installing an electrical plug in the back of camper

We carry 2 electric bikes with us on a 1UP rack and covered for weather protection. The problem is that they totally cover the taillights. I have ordered a nifty taillight assembly from a company called Kody, that attaches to the rack. Looking at the camper's light assembly, they appear to be sealed from the outside. There is one center light that has two screws. I have an electrician coming by in the next few days and hoping we can find the wires. Will we need to cut the coroplast underneath?
Old 01-25-2023, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

No way to know until he can determine if it can be accessed from the fixture but you may have to run some wires to get clearance on the rack.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:23 PM   #3

Usually once you drop the underbelly, you can usually see and access the wires to the lights pretty easily.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:29 PM   #4

I added backup lights and there was no backup on the old fixture or wire to it. So I ran wire from the junction box on the front of the trailer back to the rear bumper. Didn't bother the underbelly, just zip tied it to water was along the way. 15 K later, no problem and bright lights to back up with.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:48 AM   #5

The light kit comes with a user selectable length of wire and plug. I chose 5' assuming we can run a plug to the rear of camper.]
Old 01-26-2023, 08:10 AM   #6

I would just run new wires from the junction box up front (where the 7-pin pigtail connects) to the rear of the unit. At that point just install a 5 pin trailer connector to plug in the auxiliary taillights when you need them. Much cleaner and quicker solution and you can buy the flat 4 or 5 trailer wire in various lengths to meet your needs.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
I would just run new wires from the junction box up front (where the 7-pin pigtail connects) to the rear of the unit. At that point just install a 5 pin trailer connector to plug in the auxiliary taillights when you need them. Much cleaner and quicker solution and you can buy the flat 4 or 5 trailer wire in various lengths to meet your needs.
Great idea, thanks
Old 02-03-2023, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
We carry 2 electric bikes with us on a 1UP rack and covered for weather protection. The problem is that they totally cover the taillights. I have ordered a nifty taillight assembly from a company called Kody, that attaches to the rack. Looking at the camper's light assembly, they appear to be sealed from the outside. There is one center light that has two screws. I have an electrician coming by in the next few days and hoping we can find the wires. Will we need to cut the coroplast underneath?
I have a North Point 377RLBH and also have a rack on the back of my trailer that partially obscures the trailer lights. My North Point has a 4-pin trailer plug next to the rear hitch. Yours probably also has this plug.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought their trailer light kit for something like $40. I attached the lights to the back of the rack and plugged the 4-pin plug that comes in the kit to the rear plug on the trailer. No need to do surgery on the trailer or do anything other than plug the new lights into the existing plug.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post
I have a North Point 377RLBH and also have a rack on the back of my trailer that partially obscures the trailer lights. My North Point has a 4-pin trailer plug next to the rear hitch. Yours probably also has this plug.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought their trailer light kit for something like $40. I attached the lights to the back of the rack and plugged the 4-pin plug that comes in the kit to the rear plug on the trailer. No need to do surgery on the trailer or do anything other than plug the new lights into the existing plug.
I will look closer but pretty sure I don't have the plug.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I will look closer but pretty sure I don't have the plug.
The plug wasn't added until the 2022 model year when the optional 300# hitch was replaced with a standard 3000# tow hitch.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
The plug wasn't added until the 2022 model year when the optional 300# hitch was replaced with a standard 3000# tow hitch.
You are correct. I crawled under and all I found was a grey wire sticking out of the very back. Our electrician has a camper, so hopefully he can figure it out
Old 02-09-2023, 01:51 PM   #12

Its a little late but there is an ebike cover that has translucent side panels that allow the tail lights to shine through. Check "Team Obsidean" on Amazon. Search through their options. Cost about $124 late last year when we got ours.
440 scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:43 PM   #13

If your module for the JaySmart lights are behind the left side propane bottles? Very easy to add wires there.

There is also a schematic with the wire coding on the JaySmart module.

Even better, if you have WAGO connectors installed like mine, lift lever insert wire, run down behind propane bottle, then to back of trailer along frame.

There is no junction box on my 2022, the wires are in a wad behind the light for the front cargo compartment.

Here is the running switch light I added to aggravate the "light police"

Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:00 AM   #14

I will check on mine and see if I have that "wad" of cables lol.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post

I did not realize that that box with the wad of wires was for the JaySmart lights. I wasn't for sure how they did that.

BUT, that putting that switch there for the "light police" is an absolutely brilliant idea!! I'm going to have to install one now!!
Old 02-10-2023, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
I did not realize that that box with the wad of wires was for the JaySmart lights. I wasn't for sure how they did that.

BUT, that putting that switch there for the "light police" is an absolutely brilliant idea!! I'm going to have to install one now!!
Quote:
If your module for the JaySmart lights are behind the left side propane bottles? Very easy to add wires there.

Even better, if you have WAGO connectors installed like mine, lift lever insert wire, run down behind propane bottle, then to back of trailer along frame.

There is no junction box on my 2022, the wires are in a wad behind the light for the front cargo compartment.

Ok Ok, so I am missing this completely, and that is not good, lol. Explain the light police please
Old 02-10-2023, 07:56 AM   #17

Here is the switch I used, comes with double sided tape and pigtail...doesn't get any easier.

Also, if you have to leave your trailer on the side of the rode, you can use this to keep it lighted for safety.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZPLQ9G...roduct_details

B&W hitch
Old 02-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #18

example of "Light Police" in thread below.

Note: there is a time and place for everything and I'm always courteous to my neighbors...its all about situational awareness

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-96763.html

B&W hitch
Old 02-11-2023, 05:58 AM   #19

Got it, thanks
Old 03-17-2023, 12:56 PM   #20

Quote:

Thank You again, just had my electrician friend out here and he did not want to start cutting into the camper. I then remembered this post and just found it again. I will send him the pictures and what you said. If you care to add more wisdom on how you did yours, we will welcome it
Rene

BTW- Our '21 Pinnacle is identical to your picture, including the green blinking light behind the cluster of wires. Also, found out the other day taking the camper to get it worked on, with my bride following me, that the right side turn signals and brake lights don't work. This includes the little ones on top and the yellow safety light on right side of camper which leads me to believe we have a wire issue and not a light assembly issue. The tail lights all work fine