Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #21

I have driven a long bed CC truck for the last twenty years. I don't even really think about it much anymore with respect to parking it in the city and what not. It's just something I deal with. Many times it is much easier to back in a spot than it is to pull nose in, but again I don't really think about it much anymore. You just have to adjust your mindset and expectations.

I also have the same trailer. I have pulled it with my SRW and my Dad's DRW. If I were going to buy a new truck today (or when I buy a new truck) it would be a DRW. As it stands right now our trips are short, but in the future as we retire they will certainly become longer, at that point I will likely buy a DRW.

Also, I live near the mountains and travel through areas between oregon and washington where it's not uncommon to have sustained 35mph winds for a couple hundred miles at a time.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #22

4 J's,

I pull a 40' ~15,000# FW with a GMC 3500 HD D/A SRW. My loaded pin weight is ~3,400#. It's just me & the DW.
I like the truck, no problems towing, nice driving when unhooked, but I know I'm at my limit wrt the trucks payload.

We just week-end camp and some multiple week trips.

As other's have mentioned, when full timing, you'll probably be carrying more stuff, which is more weight.

SRW are nicer for every day driving, but DRW are better for giving you more payload and stability.

Ask yourself if you've ever heard anyone say "I wish I had a smaller tow vehicle"?

Good luck. I sure what ever you go with will be good for you.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #23
Site Team

My setup does not even move when passed by a semi. The 351RLTS is 38.5'.

Your preference is the key. Either will work. Drive both. I had a dually and would likely still have it if the transmission would have held up better.

No regrets either way but the dually had a rougher ride.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #24

Thanks again everyone! My intentions were not to start a SRW vs. DRW debate but to get experienced opinions for my size rig. Im getting the feeling that both will do the job adequately. I will probably be looking for a truck that is in the range of 2010-2016. It will still be a big upgrade from my 2003. I'm thinking payload might be my biggest issue with SRW.
4 J's in a Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 J's in a Jayco View Post
Thanks again everyone! My intentions were not to start a SRW vs. DRW debate but to get experienced opinions for my size rig. Im getting the feeling that both will do the job adequately. I will probably be looking for a truck that is in the range of 2010-2016. It will still be a big upgrade from my 2003. I'm thinking payload might be my biggest issue with SRW.
There really isn't a safe way to ask that question without getting into a debate of some sorts...

At the end of the day, it's a large, heavy trailer. It has a ton of space and is a great floorplan. Lots of room to carry lots of things, there is nothing minimalist about it. The downside to owning a trailer like this is that you kind of back yourself into a corner with your options for a tow vehicle.

In your case you mentioned 700 mile days with two kids, if I recall. That turns into 1400 miles plus for trips. That's pretty ambitious to do more than once or twice a year for me. I would want every thing I could working in my favor with respect to stability and safety margins.

Go to a dealer and test drive some SRW and DRW trucks. Specifically take them to parking lots or places you frequent on a regular basis as a daily driver and see what situations will work and what won't. Car salespeople love to take test drives. At least at that way you can eliminate what won't work for you.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #26
Site Team

Also compare the payload between the SRW and DRW.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #27

I pull a Eagle Premier 361REQS. Started with a Ford F250 diesel. Just upgraded to Ram 3500dually Cummins with Aisin transmission Hades the rig much nicer. Yes it is a large truck but you get used to it. Has rear camera and front and rear park sensors. Intend to do more travel in a few years when I retire.
camper59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #28

I tow my '16 355mbqs with my '16 F350 CCLB, with no issues. Just did a Rhode island to Virginia trip.

Jason
Reese 16K slider hitch
M109pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Also compare the payload between the SRW and DRW.
That's what would push someone to have to use a dually. When I'm loaded up and travelling I'm at the GVWR for the fiver, at the payload for the truck and within a couple hundred pounds for the limit of my license. When I had the dually I was over on my license but for RV's that usually gets a pass up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper59 View Post
I pull a Eagle Premier 361REQS. Started with a Ford F250 diesel. Just upgraded to Ram 3500dually Cummins with Aisin transmission Hades the rig much nicer. Yes it is a large truck but you get used to it. Has rear camera and front and rear park sensors. Intend to do more travel in a few years when I retire.
Another 361REQS in Ontario. We're up near Collingwood.

We have a '14 and now pull with a '17 Chev 3500HD
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
Just thinking out loud.
If you are going to full time you will be running heavy and put in a lot of miles seeing the country.
I'm thinking F450.
Extra turning radius.
Long bed for more room for the auxiliary fuel tank (I personally will not leave home without it) and other things.
Big back seat for even more things.
May want to get a generator, washer & dryer. (more weight).
You may even think this is so much fun I want a Pinnacle

But just thinking out loud. There is a lot to consider.
WOW Are you watching me? I just picked up a 2016 F-450 Platinum Last Weekend. Pretty much because of what you listed! I love the turning radius and have been brave enough to park where the regular folks park! I have one of those toolbox/ diesel 50 gallon tanks for the back. AND in 3 to 4 weeks I pick up my 2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS. YES with the Generator setup and extras.....

**looking over my shoulder***

Steve
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
WOW Are you watching me? I just picked up a 2016 F-450 Platinum Last Weekend. Pretty much because of what you listed! I love the turning radius and have been brave enough to park where the regular folks park! I have one of those toolbox/ diesel 50 gallon tanks for the back. AND in 3 to 4 weeks I pick up my 2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS. YES with the Generator setup and extras.....

**looking over my shoulder***

Steve
You are the man

Congratulations on truck and future trailer.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #32

Maybe one day I will get me one of these.
I was at the dealer today getting the truck taken care of. In the show room was this fixing to be picked up. He told me that he had a North Point 383FKWS on order
[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #33

Jason I've got a 2018 north point 377 and a 2017 gmc 3500hd srw. I had regrets at first with the truck but zero now. I dont care for DRW's yes the haul nicer going down the road. That's where the benefits stop. Tires are more $ they dont get ad good of fuel economy pulling or not.. I wanted the aux fuel tank but I cant it would put me over weight. But after a few months I can tell you my 34 gallon factory tank is fine it actually forces me to stop every 300 miles or I would just keep going. I set my truck up with airlift air bags and onboard air with a aux tank. (Will work to full airbags and tires on truck and trailer) I also upgraded to a higher weight rated tire on the truck. The L5P duramax is great I wouldn't go any other way. Pulling my 15k trl i get 10 to 15 mpg. My last 800 mile trip from OR to MT and back I averaged 12.7. Not pulling I get 22 pretty regularly. Before I didn't by tire upgrade I was at 23 24 with it. I have rite at 14k miles on the truck with no regrets. Pulls great and is comfortable... hope this helps good luck
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
Jason I've got a 2018 north point 377 and a 2017 gmc 3500hd srw. I had regrets at first with the truck but zero now. I dont care for DRW's yes the haul nicer going down the road. That's where the benefits stop. Tires are more $ they dont get ad good of fuel economy pulling or not.. I wanted the aux fuel tank but I cant it would put me over weight. But after a few months I can tell you my 34 gallon factory tank is fine it actually forces me to stop every 300 miles or I would just keep going. I set my truck up with airlift air bags and onboard air with a aux tank. (Will work to full airbags and tires on truck and trailer) I also upgraded to a higher weight rated tire on the truck. The L5P duramax is great I wouldn't go any other way. Pulling my 15k trl i get 10 to 15 mpg. My last 800 mile trip from OR to MT and back I averaged 12.7. Not pulling I get 22 pretty regularly. Before I didn't by tire upgrade I was at 23 24 with it. I have rite at 14k miles on the truck with no regrets. Pulls great and is comfortable... hope this helps good luck
Yup, the L5P is much better than the '11 Scorpion 6.7 I had before.

How much pin weight do you have? I'm surprised that you needed bags. Mine sits dead flat with 3200# on the pin. I'll go to a higher load rating tire when I need new ones. Right now I'm at the limit depending on whether I weigh after lunch or before
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #35

Interesting you should ask this. I just returned from a trip to and around the West (Charleston S.C., through Amarillo, up through NM, CO, Wy, Montana, WA, Oregon, CA and back to Chas). I pulled a 2018 355 MBQS with a 2012 Chevy 2500 crew cab short bed Duramax.

You CAN pull this trailer with a 2500 duramax short bed, and you can pull it SRW, obviously. I would not recommend either--especially if you are going to be traveling as much as you are. The rear wheels feel a little squirrelly when large trucks go by and it feels like there is not enough weight on the front wheels. You will be more comfortable towing with a heavier DRW vehicle.

Having said that, have an awesome time my friend and enjoy every moment out on the road. Your kids will never forget it, and I mean that in a good way!
Rgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #36

I just went through the same difficult decision. The duality only cost a bit over $1,000 more than a SRW truck and it definitely has a higher payload. My problem is that we go to the mountains (Smokys, Colorado, West Virginia) and once we’re unhitched and settled there are some secondary gravel roads in the mountains that two normal trucks can barely pass each other on. A dually is 17” wider (Ram) and that’s an issue on those small narrow roads that access some great scenic areas. I ultimately went with a 3500 Ram SRW with 8’ bed and factory air bags. I am well within specs with 2900 lb pin and 16000 loaded. Towing is great but parking an 8 ft bed crew cab is a bit of an issue. 🙄😊
Cheetah053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah053 View Post
I just went through the same difficult decision. The duality only cost a bit over $1,000 more than a SRW truck and it definitely has a higher payload. My problem is that we go to the mountains (Smokys, Colorado, West Virginia) and once we’re unhitched and settled there are some secondary gravel roads in the mountains that two normal trucks can barely pass each other on. A dually is 17” wider (Ram) and that’s an issue on those small narrow roads that access some great scenic areas. I ultimately went with a 3500 Ram SRW with 8’ bed and factory air bags. I am well within specs with 2900 lb pin and 16000 loaded. Towing is great but parking an 8 ft bed crew cab is a bit of an issue. 🙄😊
What is your total weight on the rear axle? When I had my SRW, I only had less than 500 pounds remaining on the 7,000 pound rear axle limit and I didn't have the 40 gallon aux fuel tank like I have on my DRW.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #38

355mbqs

I currently own a 2016 Jayco 355 MBQS. This is our 2nd 5th wheel and we love it. I tow with a 2008 Ford F-250 6.4 diesel SRW 4x4 shortbed and it tows the 5 wheel with no issues. I’ve pulled it over the Smokey Mtns. with no problems. I use a 16K Reese slider hitch that allows me more clearance in tight spaces. The only modification I have made to the truck is a hyper-tech turner to increase fuel mileage by about 2 mpg.
Frank2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #39

Jason...I've got a 2014 33.5 RKTS coming in at around 12500. I started out towing it with a 2500 6.0 gasser and in 16 going to a 3500 dually Duramax....never again will I NOT tow with a dually and as far as it being a PIA to drive daily?...I suppose for some it could be but I drive mine every day and won't drive anything else.....
Dan
Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #40

I thought an SRW truck could have a better tow capacity than a DRW because the DRW is more weight, if that’s a consideration. As to the 4500 suggestion, might not be a bad idea depending on how much you expect to carry in the truck.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote