Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #31

It is interesting how varied the opinions of these units can be.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #32

I always level first then put slides out ... I am sure since it is built and checked sitting on axles it would be fine doing it either way but just harder for me to deploy center jacks with slides out

Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
I always level first then put slides out ... I am sure since it is built and checked sitting on axles it would be fine doing it either way but just harder for me to deploy center jacks with slides out
Why is it harder?
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
IMHO I would pass on 4 point leveling and do it with boards or blocks and rear stabilizers....old school.
Your already going to have to "pre level" under the wheels anyways with Ground Control 3.0 because it will error out if you are more then 2" out of level. The 6 point isn't all that great of a system, I would think the 4 point would be even worse.
We haven't had our 355 long, but twice I have had the 3.0 work fine at almost 3 degrees side to side.
Both times the curb side tires were an inch or 2 off the ground. (In fact, it is sitting on my gravel pad at home like this right now. I have to level the pad once it is moved for the next trip.)
I do add 3-6" of blocking under the jacks before starting the leveling process. The rear jacks only have about 12" of travel, and will run out of length before level is achieved if you don't use blocking.
I also do not extend the front leg extensions all the way. I stop 4-6" from the ground and then run the jacks down. This leaves plenty of space for the trailer to come down for level if needed.
So far I have been pleased with the 3.0 - 4 point system. I just had to learn some tricks.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #35
Dan

I have owned the 355MBQS just a few weeks but have yet to take it on a trip (East coast trip in July) BUT this is what I would consider if I were you:
1. Before dumping $$ into a CC diesel are you sure the six of you will be comfortable? Your kids are going to get bigger, fast. I would not want to travel long distances with any more than the four of us (plus a big lab in back w kids) in our truck
2. With that in mind there are some very nice TT's that you may be able to pull with a TV that would better suit your family, like a 3/4 ton van, used excursion, or beefed up suburban, etc

Not trying to be a fun-sponge but wouldn't want you to drop a bunch of money and in five years have to make a big change because you all cant cram into the pickup!

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 Eagle 355MBQS
B&W Companion Hitch
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #36

I a little late here, but I'll add my 2 cents.

Buy your 3rd camper is solid advice. We went from a tent to a 33' fifth wheel. We used that for 9 years and just traded for our 29.5 BHDS Eagle HT. That will last is until or two kids are done with us. We've avoid the trade in, trade up game.

One piece of advice I haven't seen yet is to consider the type of camping you plan to do and where you plan to go. This is where renting may help you a bit.

We do several weekends in state parks within a few hours from home. Holiday weekend (3 day weekends) well stretch a bit further away, but still a state park. We try to take a two week vacation every year and usually spend a good chunk of it in a National Park. Once you get over 35' (trailer length) you get very limited spots in the National Parks. State parks are a toss up. In Michigan, we have room for big rigs, but I've heard other States are right for space and have smaller sites.

When we were looking, we liked the one we got, but I didn't want the extra 2' of length over what we had. In the end, we got it. I'll do my best to shoe horn it into our spots.

If you decide that National Parks (most are no hook ups by the way) are not for you, then you don't need to worry. Or, if you don't mind staying outside the parks, there are usually private campgrounds with hook ups. We didn't want to make that sacrifice. We like being in the middle of it as much as possible.

If you think you may want to leave your options open, the Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS has some of the biggest bunks you'll find outside of a toy hauler. They'd have to share beds though. The 28.5 BX model has more beds, but they are smaller and I believe shorter.

At some point you'll just have to Jump. It's really easy to get caught in analysis paralysis, especially when you hear all kinds of opinions, some contradicting. Make your decision, use it, enjoy it and make memories.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #37

Thanks Cdash! Funny enough, you posted that while I was with the family on a day trip to Yosemite (in our minivan). I spent the whole trip wondering how anybody would dare bring an RV in there (laugh!).

You have sparked a good discussion between my wife and I about how and where we would actually use it, so thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #38

yes length is definitely a determining factor when you plan trips ... we went from a 32 foot to a 39 foot travel trailer and it does make it more interesting booking sites but I have always been able to get it in there and we camp mostly at state parks.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
Thanks Cdash! Funny enough, you posted that while I was with the family on a day trip to Yosemite (in our minivan). I spent the whole trip wondering how anybody would dare bring an RV in there (laugh!).

You have sparked a good discussion between my wife and I about how and where we would actually use it, so thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would probably be us.

I've had the old fifth wheel in many places where most people wouldn't dare to go and we probably shouldn't have gone. Never damaged the RV outside of some distorted trim and a slight dent in the truck bed from a switch back that caused trailer/truck bed contact. Been in some really tight urban spots in Jersey and Boston, and also in the middle of nowhere. Let me tell you that leaving Yellowstone, or was it Cody, and going up into, through and out of the Big Horn National Forest in the middle of O-dark-thirty was interesting.

In the end, it's all part of the experience and we've seen some cool places.

We are leaving for Glacier National Park in a couple weeks to spend two weeks, half on each side in the park, without any hookups. I'm hoping my solar kit shows up next week like it's supposed to in order to make things a bit easier. Many wouldn't do it, but we love it! Last year in the Rockies, we had a couple dozen elk, and a sow moose with calf in the campground. Doesn't get much better for us!

You'll get all sorts of opinions. You just have to figure out how you will use it! No way is wrong, we all do it differently!