Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #1

LOUD 5-gallon water pump

Hello:

We have a 2020 Eagle 317RLOK. It has a 5-gallon water bottle pump under the kitchen island, which supplies the ice maker and counter water "RO-type" faucet. I suspect many models of Jayco 5th wheel trailers include this 5-gallon water bottle system. It is a great system for ensuring good drinking water.

When we create a demand on the water pressure, this 110v water pump under the island turns on, draws water from the 5-gallon bottle and meets the pressure demand. Then, when we turn off the faucet (or the ice maker has filled), the pump turns off until the next demand. But it is VERY loud when it runs.

I'm just asking if anyone else has a loud pump, and this sound is normal -- or do I have a pump not working properly or is incorrectly mounted? I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks a bunch;

Gregcass
gregcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

We have a 2020 Pinnacle and have the same issue. From what we’ve read and been told by our dealer the noise is “normal”. We removed our pump and put a mouse pad (doubled) under ours and it seemed to help a LITTLE but it’s still very loud. Others have put insulation on the water lines to reduce noise but not sure how much that helps. We may try that next.
20 Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try some pump isolation/ insulation.

Gregcass
Old 12-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #4

Had a loud pump on an older rig, made a box out of rigid insulation to fit over it and it practically disappeared. Might be easier than the pad McGyver and by the input of the one who proposed it, more effective.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #5

No experience with this 5 gallon drinking water setup. But I bet is it has the same vibration issues that most FW pumps have in TTs. The pipes probably pulse and vibrate on objects and the thin wall panels amplify the sound. Curiosity how big is the pipe coming out of that pump, 1/4" or is it 1/2"

Pipe insulation will help a lot, to keep them from vibrating and banging on things. A good pad under the pump can help. Number of things that can be used as a pad. I like a piece of thick snap together play pad. Do not screw down the pump to tight, let the pad absorbed the vibrations. If the pipes are rigid 1/2" pex, you could try to replace the first few feet with a flexible hose. There are kits out there to do this with regular water pumps. Look at that at least as an example. It would be easy to make up a flexible hose kit.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Thanks for the inputs!!

It is 1/4" PEX, so I will try some of the insulation ideas. As I do further inspection, it appears a lot of the sound is from the thin wood cabinet panels amplifying the sound, too.

I appreciate all of the ideas presented. When we get home from this trip. I will dig in to try to rectify (or minimize ) the noise issue.

Thanks again, all;

Gregcass