Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 AM   #1

My First Flat Tire (In an RV)

Last weekend I was in the process of moving to a better spot in the campground and was greeted by a flat tire when I lowered my jacks. While in the process of pulling the offending tire I notice my left rear tire was worn down almost to the radials on the inside edge. The flat tire also had excessive wear on the outside edge.

The other side wear looked completely even. As a precaution I dropped and installed my spare on the ugly tire.

Looking on Google it could be a bent spindle? Should I call it a season and not tow it anymore? My family and I used the daylights out of our 5th wheel this year so its not the end of the world if I have to pack it up for the season.

2015 325 BHQS
RVCampingismyfavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

So, one tire on the left side was worn on the outside edge and the other tire on the same side was worn on the inside edge?

That is very odd. Usually wear on the tire edge(s) is an indication of a bent axle/spindle and/or an axle out of alignment.

You could have two issues, bent axle/spindle always wears a tire on the inside edge, an axle out of alignment can do either. Are you towing level? If not the added stress on the second axle and tires can cause issues like this as well. You need to take to a dealer/tire shop to get a professional diagnosis!
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

Camping on concrete pads? Hard turns into, out of, those spots will cause excessive edge wear. Once a wear pattern is established it will continue throughout the life of the tire.

Attached Thumbnails
0611141612.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
So, one tire on the left side was worn on the outside edge and the other tire on the same side was worn on the inside edge?

That is very odd. Usually wear on the tire edge(s) is an indication of a bent axle/spindle and/or an axle out of alignment.

You could have two issues, bent axle/spindle always wears a tire on the inside edge, an axle out of alignment can do either. Are you towing level? If not the added stress on the second axle and tires can cause issues like this as well. You need to take to a dealer/tire shop to get a professional diagnosis!
Yes sir I'm towing almost perfectly level. I called and made an appt with my local dealer, thank you!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

I would not call it a season. Get it fixed, put an older tire on that spot, just to be safe.

It may just be from tire scrub. When you go back home, how is your approach into your parking area? When we moved, I started parking off street, and have a lot of hard turning to get into the driveway, and scrub the tires, really two tires a lot. You can see it in the asphalt. But due to the crown of the road, one tire takes a lot of wear. I changed out tires, I alternate directions I approach backing in to my driveway, and have never had anymore issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #6

I do quite a bit of hard turning with my 5th wheel. She is almost 39 feet long and this was my 1st full year with it. I had a little experience towing boats when i was a kid but nothing like this beast.

I don't envy the triple axle guys out there!