Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

30.5 MBOK Spare tire location troubles

2018 Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK with the dealer installed Onan 5500 Generator.
The problem is, the spare tire is mounted directly below the Generator.

Our first long trip was from Montana to Florida, and we ran into some 95 degree days. When we stopped for the night, I started the generator so we could run the AC.

About an hour later, I walked outside and could smell hot rubber. It smelled like someone was burning a tire in the fire pit. Some quick searching, and I found that the spare tire was VERY hot. 200 degrees according to my laser thermometer. I lowered the tire down to the ground and removed it once it cooled down. It spent the rest of the trip in the bed of my truck.

I know that trailer tires can will run hot on the highway, but that much heat on just the sidewall makes me worry about the integrity of the tire. Not to mention the risk to my generator and anyone around it if that tire were to explode.

Has anyone else had this issue with their spare tires?

The RV dealers nearest me said that they won't do anything about the spare tire location. I have to take it to the dealer that installed the generator, but they are 2200 miles from my current location.

Up till this point, I've had good luck with Jayco, but this time they don't reply to my E-mail. Guess I'm going to have to call them.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwalkers View Post
2018 Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK with the dealer installed Onan 5500 Generator.
The problem is, the spare tire is mounted directly below the Generator.
Have you called the dealer who installed it? I can understand another dealer not wanting to get involved.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Have you called the dealer who installed it? I can understand another dealer not wanting to get involved.
I called them about another issue, but didn't ask about the generator / tire issue. I'll have to check with them and see.

What I was really looking for was to see if anyone else had the same issue, and if there was a simple solution. The camper is still under the MFG warranty, but I'm in it full time, and taking it in for them to work on is extremely inconvenient and time consuming.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #4

Quote:
I called them about another issue, but didn't ask about the generator / tire issue. I'll have to check with them and see.

What I was really looking for was to see if anyone else had the same issue, and if there was a simple solution. The camper is still under the MFG warranty, but I'm in it full time, and taking it in for them to work on is extremely inconvenient and time consuming.
I can understand, but maybe they missed something or did not install properly. You can't be the only person who has a generator in that unit. Did it come with the generator prep? Maybe the spare is supposed to be moved when the geny goes in.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I can understand, but maybe they missed something or did not install properly. You can't be the only person who has a generator in that unit. Did it come with the generator prep? Maybe the spare is supposed to be moved when the geny goes in.
Yes, it came with the Generator Prep, Solar Prep, and second AC already installed.

I had the dealer install the Generator, extra battery, Sanicon Turbo, and a combination lock upgrade on the front door.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #6

Why not just get a roll of that thin foil faced insulation and sandwhich between the tire & rv ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #7

Just mount it on the rear bumper.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
Just mount it on the rear bumper.
If the bumper and bumper brackets will support it. Nowadays, they are using pretty thin metal for the bumper and the connections.

It's an HT, so the rear hitch is rated for towing. I'd buy or fab a spare tire holder and mount it in the hitch.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #9

There is an LCI under frame assembly that has 2 slide out boxes and mounts the spare in the middle between them. I was looking at this for my HT just to get extra storage if I needed it and to move the spare out of the way so I could put those stabilizer bars that attach to the jacks. At least that way you could move it back away from the generator and pick up some storage if you need it.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

Rear bumper is a good option.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #11

Quote:

I think in this unit your warranty is void if full time use. So might want to keep that quiet. Sounds to me like the exhaust is routed wrong possibly. Which I don't think is part of the factory prep. The dealer that installed it messed up, warranty isnt going to help you somewhere else.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote