Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #1

New Pinnacle Demo - what to look for

We will be taking possession of our Pinnacle on December 10. We have never owned an RV so this is all new to us. The dealer will be giving us a demo of everything but i’m sure our head will be spinning. Can you give us advice on what we should pay particular attention to versus those things we can probably figure out for ourselves if we forget. We have already read the owners manual online and there’s a lot to know. Any advice would be welcome.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and (early) congratulations on your new Pinnacle.

Since you've never owned (or used, I assume) an RV, you've got a huge amount of learning to do in a short time. You'll find that the 'Owners Manual' is really not much of a help for new RVers, but it is a beginning.

Find the PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) checklist on this site. Going through all of that list when you pickup the trailer will help ensure that everything on your trailer is working AND that you know how to operate it when you are on your own.

Good luck. RVing is not 'rocket science', but as you said, there's a lot to know!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Do your own PDI and take all day doing it. Don't let them talk you out of it. Don't sign anything till you completed your self PDI. What they don't fix on the spot, have documentation that it will be repaired before signing. Or best yet, don't sign until the repairs are done.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #4

You'll never remember it all. Use the "Voice Memos" recorder on your smartphone and record the entire walk-through for later reference.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #5

Welcome to the family!! Follow what has been previously stated and make sure everything is to your satisfaction before you sign anything!! Take as long as you want!!! If you start to feel pressured or overwhelmed, take a break. Don't be afraid to leave the unit and come back for it. We did exactly that so that the issues could be addressed before we took possession. I used the video function of my phone for the couple of things that I was not familiar with on our unit. This forum and places like YouTube will be a huge help in figuring things out. Make sure to check everything to include all the electronics, appliances, etc, to ensure you understand and know how they work. If you have a good dealer, they will put you with someone that knows your unit and will answer every question you may have regardless of how trivial you may think it is. Ours was exactly that way and she was the perfect person to do our walk through. She was knowledgeable and anything she didn't know, she found us the answer. Hopefully you have the same experience.

2019 North Point 377RLBH
2017 KZ Venom Toy Hauler (STOLEN, Recovered, CRUSHED)
2010 Sabre 32BHOK (Traded in on Venom)
1978 StarCraft PopUp (Long gone)
artoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

i would get up on the roof and take a look at it.. look for nail pops or staple pops.. make sure it is all sealed up tight if not... don't take delivery... make sure the roof is in perfect order...

put water to it make sure there are no leaks look in the cabinets, water heater everywhere there are pipes.. look underneath too.... both city and pump...

try every window, door, etc...

If it where me I would go around it on one day before your PDI, then go back and have the PDI after you looked at it once first.. because the second time you will see things the honey moon moment may have missed...

as others stated don't take delivery until it is perfect... they will want you to just hook and go... don't do it....

congratulations...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
i would get up on the roof and take a look at it.. look for nail pops or staple pops.. make sure it is all sealed up tight if not... don't take delivery... make sure the roof is in perfect order...

put water to it make sure there are no leaks look in the cabinets, water heater everywhere there are pipes.. look underneath too.... both city and pump...

try every window, door, etc...

If it where me I would go around it on one day before your PDI, then go back and have the PDI after you looked at it once first.. because the second time you will see things the honey moon moment may have missed...

as others stated don't take delivery until it is perfect... they will want you to just hook and go... don't do it....

congratulations...
Take EVERYTHING he said seriously and even visit the unit twice.if you have the time. Once you leave the lot it's yours forever regardless what the defects are .
Old 11-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #8

Be sure to get a morning appointment. Do not let them talk you into a afternoon one.
I told the salesman up front that I and the wife wanted to go over it alone first and I would let them know when I was ready for the walk through. Check everything and just sit around and look at things and get up and check some more. Do not be afraid to say "I don't like that". Be willing to say "I can come back when it is fixed".

Tell them now so they know what you want. (I think it makes them do a better job on the preparation).

Do not be in a hurry.

You will be overwhelmed the first time.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #9

Check the post " fiberglass crack " it's up and running today and it's 5 pages long and pertains to 5th wheels.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #10

Thanks everyone; good tips. We have the updated PDI checklist and we have a morning appointment. Tools, tape measure and flashlight are in the bag. Good ideas with the voice notes and video clips.

We are in what might be an advantageous position in that we will not take the rig with us no matter what - we don’t own a truck yet. So they won’t have an excuse not to finish work on it. We will be paying someone to deliver it to a storage unit near our house (we neglected to anticipate that no campsite slips would be available at Christmas time)

I go truck shopping Monday.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post

Tell them now so they know what you want. (I think it makes them do a better job on the preparation).

Do not be in a hurry.

You will be overwhelmed the first time.
Thanks again. We are forwarding to the dealer the PDI checklist from this site (thanks all) plus our notes with the expectation that they will be met in the interest of pre-trial discovery ( no we are not lawyers). Since we don’t have a truck we can walk away. We are working on our good cop bad cop routine.

We realize that not having a truck means that we cannot finalize certain aspects of the hitch adjustments but we are willing to build in and negotiate contingencies for that. The dealer is 3 hours from our current home but near Joan’s parents so return trips are not a burden.

Angus and Joan

Tags
demonstration, new pinnacle