Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sharpsburg
Posts: 284
ID get a new f150 before any 3/4 ton gas truck. If you like a Dodge, you can get a diesel 2500 pretty well equipped for the same money as a loaded f150.
__________________

Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 54
Having had both gassers and now a Diesel - the choice, for a DD, for towing on weekends, and general use is Diesel.

I didn't like the way Ram and Ford HD trucks rode and drove (solid front axle shows ugly for daily driver duty) - When I drove the Chevy/GMC HD, it was an eye opener. The IFS and suspension tuning was far and above better than the other 2 manufactures offerings.

I love my Sierra 3500HD for daily, and towing, it's smooth, comfortable, and I average 20.6MPG unloaded (mixxed) - Loaded to bear with our 38FLSA packed for a week of camping it gets 14.5MPG across Colorado/Wyoming - in the Plains of Kansas it got 16.4. this is with a total GVW of 24,670.


IMO - if your going to tow it, do it with a diesel.
__________________

__________________
2015 Sierra Denali 3500HD SRW

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:00 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oneonta ny
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_GMC View Post
Having had both gassers and now a Diesel - the choice, for a DD, for towing on weekends, and general use is Diesel.

I didn't like the way Ram and Ford HD trucks rode and drove (solid front axle shows ugly for daily driver duty) - When I drove the Chevy/GMC HD, it was an eye opener. The IFS and suspension tuning was far and above better than the other 2 manufactures offerings.

I love my Sierra 3500HD for daily, and towing, holy ****! - it's smooth, comfortable, and I average 20.6MPG unloaded (mixxed) - Loaded to bear with our 38FLSA packed for a week of camping it gets 14.5MPG across Colorado/Wyoming - in the Plains of Kansas it got 16.4. this is with a total GVW of 24,670.


IMO - if your going to tow it, do it with a diesel.
I totally agree. I have a 2004 sierra duramax 2500hd. Just wondering what a new one goes for loaded. I paid $35,000 in '03 and have heard they are twice that now. (sorry for the highjack)
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oklahoma panhandle
Posts: 435
Go with a Duramax. I've had both, would not go back to gas for towing. Duramax also run so much quieter than a Dodge & Ford diesel, you don't disturb the entire campground when you drive through!!!
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Aero_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Boston
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Go with a Duramax. I've had both, would not go back to gas for towing. Duramax also run so much quieter than a Dodge & Ford diesel, you don't disturb the entire campground when you drive through!!!
Oh come on, my Ram is not That loud. Like others have said, going from a Gasser to a Diesel myself, I would Not go back. I too use my TV as a Daily Driver. Even owning a Longbed, I Love my Truck. OK, so I do have to park out back of most lots, because most spots I can't use, without 'looking' like I wanted to take-up two spots. And we know how some of the 'Tree-Huggers' can be when they think you did this on purpose. So just to be safe, I just park a little farther away now. No big deal and I still wouldn't go back to my 1500 Gasser.

Dave...
__________________
2013 Ram 2500, 6.7 CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue.
B&W Turnover Ball, Andersen Ultimate Hitch (v2)

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,594
My trailer weighs in at about 8200 lbs. loaded. Plus what we have in the truck (ourselves, dog, gear, etc.) and my F250 yanks it without a problem. I wouldn't dream of hitching a F150 up to it. I'm sure it would pull it but the 3/4 ton 6.2L does it better. And yes, I've tried both. Just some friendly advice.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Scoutr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bartonville
Posts: 509
The diesel will pull all day and save you fuel. But it will take a L-O-N-G time to pay for itself. My Chevy 6.0L gasser gets about 8.5 mpg pulling my trailer. (That's $23.50 every 100 miles, at $2.00/gallon.) The diesel version of my truck gets about 13 mpg pulling that same load. (That's $19.75 every 100 miles, at $2.60/gallon.) So it would save me $3.75 every 100 miles (not counting DEF and the extra maintenance costs - two batteries, more expensive oil changes, etc)

In just fuel costs alone, it would take over 213,000 miles to break even. (The diesel option in the Chevy adds about $8000 to the sticker price.)

But if you can find a newer used truck with the diesel, with low miles, that would be a different story. And if it were me (which it may be, soon - been contemplating), I'd go with the F-350. A lot more cargo capacity for not much more money.
__________________

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 75
I went from a Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi gas back to a 3500 crew cab 4x4 diesel.
Around town driver and im getting,
Gas = 9mpg
Diesel = 17mpg
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Scoutr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bartonville
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
I went from a Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi gas back to a 3500 crew cab 4x4 diesel.
Around town driver and im getting,
Gas = 9mpg
Diesel = 17mpg

My Chevy 2007 6.0L gasser gets about 12.5 around town - 14 mpg on the highway (8.5 towing my 8500# trailer). The diesel version is advertised as 14 around town and 17 mpg on the highway (13 towing my trailer). It varies by make - and also the terrain where you travel. Highway mileage in the mountains will be very different than in Illinois. And city mileage in Chicago will be different than city in Boise.
__________________

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Aero_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Boston
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
The diesel will pull all day and save you fuel. But it will take a L-O-N-G time to pay for itself. My Chevy 6.0L gasser gets about 8.5 mpg pulling my trailer. (That's $23.50 every 100 miles, at $2.00/gallon.) The diesel version of my truck gets about 13 mpg pulling that same load. (That's $19.75 every 100 miles, at $2.60/gallon.) So it would save me $3.75 every 100 miles (not counting DEF and the extra maintenance costs - two batteries, more expensive oil changes, etc)

In just fuel costs alone, it would take over 213,000 miles to break even. (The diesel option in the Chevy adds about $8000 to the sticker price.)

But if you can find a newer used truck with the diesel, with low miles, that would be a different story. And if it were me (which it may be, soon - been contemplating), I'd go with the F-350. A lot more cargo capacity for not much more money.
Why does Everyone say / think Oil Changes cost more? I do my own, and with the 2500, its Very Easy to do. I just put 3 Gallons of T6 Oil in, @ $20.95 per-gallon (Wal-Mart) and Cummins Filter @ $19.95. So for a Whopping $82.80 I put 12 Quarts of Synthetic Oil & Filter in. I'll repeat this now every 7000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
I went from a Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi gas back to a 3500 crew cab 4x4 diesel.
Around town driver and im getting,
Gas = 9mpg
Diesel = 17mpg
My 1500 Gasser got 15.4mpg City
My Diesel gets 18.5 City
I've gotten 22.3 doing 80 on the Highway in my Diesel!

Dave...
__________________

__________________
2013 Ram 2500, 6.7 CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue.
B&W Turnover Ball, Andersen Ultimate Hitch (v2)

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.