Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #1

Norcold NA8LXR Refrigerator not cooling on electric

Appreciate all input...... I took a power hit and the Board needed to be replaced per the onboard diagnostic. The AC Heater failed on the board. Replaced the board.

Here is my issue. I draw 48 ohm and pull 2.36 amp on the current ac heating element while on the electric mode. However I ran it all weekend on electric only cause i was nervous about leaving the gas on while i was away for a few days. That being said when i got back in the trailer the fridge was running at 55 degrees while the freezer was running 5 degrees. Had it on setting 9 which is the coldest option.

On gas, setting 5 i am running35-40 fridge and 2 to 5 freezer min/max in 24 hour cycle. Keep in mind i am in north texas and we are having weeks of 100+ temps.

So those are the facts. I was only running electric for the previous six months and it ran fine until the storm hit and then all hell has broken loose on me trying to come to grips with this fridge. I've learned a lot.

So here is my question. The AC heater appears to me to be in specifications but it obviously doesn't work as well as it should so i wonder if it took some damage during my power surge. As soon as i confirm the part number with norcold i am proceeding on ordering a new ac heater and replace the old and see if it works better.

Thoughts????? Thanks. . . again, relatively new full time fifth wheel guy.
ford f250 w 7.3 but yet to tow my trailer
Camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #2

I would replace the element too since it may of taken a surge. Also make sure you have full 120 voltage to the fridge. If you're too low on voltage the element heat will be reduced.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo View Post
Appreciate all input...... I took a power hit and the Board needed to be replaced per the onboard diagnostic. The AC Heater failed on the board. Replaced the board.

Here is my issue. I draw 48 ohm and pull 2.36 amp on the current ac heating element while on the electric mode. However I ran it all weekend on electric only cause i was nervous about leaving the gas on while i was away for a few days. That being said when i got back in the trailer the fridge was running at 55 degrees while the freezer was running 5 degrees. Had it on setting 9 which is the coldest option.

On gas, setting 5 i am running35-40 fridge and 2 to 5 freezer min/max in 24 hour cycle. Keep in mind i am in north texas and we are having weeks of 100+ temps.

So those are the facts. I was only running electric for the previous six months and it ran fine until the storm hit and then all hell has broken loose on me trying to come to grips with this fridge. I've learned a lot.

So here is my question. The AC heater appears to me to be in specifications but it obviously doesn't work as well as it should so i wonder if it took some damage during my power surge. As soon as i confirm the part number with norcold i am proceeding on ordering a new ac heater and replace the old and see if it works better.

Thoughts????? Thanks. . . again, relatively new full time fifth wheel guy.
Generally speaking, heater elements work or they don't work similar to a light bulb. I would suspect the board is still the issue. Do you have any codes on the panel? I am not sure with yours, some have flashing codes and some have a display for codes. ~CA
Old 07-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I would replace the element too since it may of taken a surge. Also make sure you have full 120 voltage to the fridge. If you're too low on voltage the element heat will be reduced.

Earl
thanks earl i will be sure to check the full 120 voltage as well.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Generally speaking, heater elements work or they don't work similar to a light bulb. I would suspect the board is still the issue. Do you have any codes on the panel? I am not sure with yours, some have flashing codes and some have a display for codes. ~CA
thanks craig and from my understanding that is true regarding do they work or don't work. Getting zero errors once i replaced board. The electric element does work but i think due to the surge it isn't heating as before. My freezer stayed cold under electric but not the fridge. so what the heck it is a cheap part so i will put in a new one and see what happens....worst case is i have a spare.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo View Post
thanks earl i will be sure to check the full 120 voltage as well.
Check it at the fridge outlet. Then check it on the board where the element connects to make sure 120v to the board and 120v out of the board to the element.

Thanks,
Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote