Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
Site Team

Owner replaced residential fridge

Planning ahead for the day my Norcold leaves the camper in a cloud of yellow dust! Works flawlessly but the day will come, as it's 11 years old.

My question is this: I have found a AC fridge that will slide right in the hole with minor fitment. My questions are about the power, specifically the wiring of the on/off switch on the fridge and switching between the ac power and the inverter. Where is the switch located that controls the ac source, for those that have installed the residential fridge?

My rig already has 2 batteries so I will need to wire in a 1000w inverter for travel and times when we are off the grid which is very little.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:32 PM   #2

Depending on which Inverter you buy, some have an remote control panel that is connected with what looks like a phone jack. I think for the difference in price I would go with the 1800 watt.

Here's an example of one that comes with the remote according to the specs. JAYCO uses or did use this one.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/xan806-...RoCAfEQAvD_BwE
Old 06-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks Grumpy, yep 15a makes sense. That one does have a remote panel.

More reading is in order.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-15-2022, 04:49 PM   #4

You are gonna love a residential refrigerator Norty!!

They actually keep stuff COLD and freezer keeps things frozen.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:45 PM   #5

Nort, just to be the devil’s advocate. When your Norcold dies you can replace the cooling system basically getting a new fridge. I’ve pondered your point and can’t convince myself that two batts thru an inverter can keep a res fridge running for 6-8 hrs. We get by with one batt. Have thought abt getting 2 each time I have to replace the single but so far I just get another single.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for the input! The type traveling we currently do and I don't see that changing is we are only between campgrounds for 4-5 hours without a overnight with hookups.

As stated, we are having zero problems and am just looking ahead. That said, we are headed out in a week for over 2 months and it may blow up the first day with my luck!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Nort, just to be the devil’s advocate. When your Norcold dies you can replace the cooling system basically getting a new fridge.
They even make a 12 volt compressor version.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...cooling-units/

But unless you boondock regularly I'd still go residential.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Thanks, options are good!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-15-2022, 08:02 PM   #9

My Northpoint has a residential fridge and we love it. Mine has a TRUE SINEWAVE Xantrex 1200w(?) XC Inverter. It is the central point of the wiring and operation. I have a pair of 6v batteries wired in series that go to the 12vdc input of the inverter. The 120vac 15A line from the breaker panel labeled "fridge" goes to the AC input of the inverter and the AC output side of the inverter goes to the 120v plug the fridge is plugged into.
Like Grumpy said there is also a small control panel that is connected to the inverter via phone cord.
When the control panel is on and no shore power is connected the fridge is powered off the batteries. When shore power is connected the inverter instantly switches over from DC to AC power with no interruption in service to the fridge. It also charges and maintains the batteries while connected to shore power. When connected to shore power, you can turn off the control panel and the fridge will still be powered. If the control panel is off and no shore power connected, no power to the fridge.
Make sure you get a TRUE SINEWAVE inverter. Electronics dont like modified sinewave inverters.
Xantrex inverters are a really good inverter and so is their customer and tech support.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:52 PM   #10

My brothers Jayco 38FLSA came with a residential style fridge and an inverter that’s only runs the fridge. He also has 6 batteries in his trailer to run everything. His use is different than yours, but you may need more than two batteries. You’ll have to keep an eye on them to see how they perform with the way you use yours.

I suggest a bigger inverter than you think you’ll need. You may find other things you’ll like to use it for between hookups to shore power. I just recently added a 3000watt Renogy pure sine wave inverter so I can use my tv or microwave without having to fire up the generator. I played around with it to see how much I could push it until I ram into an issue. I turned on the tv, turned on all the lights, the water heater and fridge to electric from gas and the inverters fans never came on. I then added running the microwave to the mix and still I issue. I then added the main a/c to it and it started up with ease. It seemed like it could run it all for a long time. The only limit would be the juice in the battery. At the same time I added the inverter I also added a 300 ah lithium battery to the mix. You may not need a 3000 watt inverter, but I think a 1500 or 2000 watt one be do you better than the 1000 watt one.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:38 AM   #11

We have 317RLOK with residential fridge (Whirlpool) and our travel model is very similar to yours. On travel days we turn on the inverter when the TV is running - the fridge works fine and the batteries hold their charge. Note: we have 2 group 27 Lead Acid batteries from Costco. On the odd occasion we have to over nite without shore power we turn off the inverter and leave the fridge door closed, or if we are in a warm climate we will throw a bag of ice in just to be safe. Have had no issues with food spoiling. Our unit came with the Xantrex inverter already installed so I can’t speak to the technical side of your questions, just sharing our experience with the residential fridge and similar travel model.
Roadpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Thanks for the input! The type traveling we currently do and I don't see that changing is we are only between campgrounds for 4-5 hours without a overnight with hookups.

As stated, we are having zero problems and am just looking ahead. That said, we are headed out in a week for over 2 months and it may blow up the first day with my luck!
I installed a residential in my SIL & daughters travel trailer a couple of years ago.
When they get ready to go anywhere, the day before they plug trailer in to get refrigerator cold and then load it up. They will leave the next morning. As long as you are not opening and closing refrigerator, it stays cold. They have actually driven for over 6 hours and everything is still cold.

BTW They do NOT have an inverter.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
Old 06-16-2022, 06:33 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I installed a residential in my SIL & daughters travel trailer a couple of years ago.
When they get ready to go anywhere, the day before they plug trailer in to get refrigerator cold and then load it up. They will leave the next morning. As long as you are not opening and closing refrigerator, it stays cold. They have actually driven for over 6 hours and everything is still cold.

BTW They do NOT have an inverter.
Thanks for the input. I am a keep it simple camper. I do not care for the latest greatest of anything. If we have a problem on the road, I am confident I can rip the old unit out and install the one I want from the closest Lowes. I will be able to add the inverter later. Or I could just go ahead and wire the Inverter in and have it ready for that day.

We are headed up to the mountains of NC next week for a couple of months to get away from the humidity on the coast and I wanted to have a plan. I may go ahead and do some shopping for prices on the inverter and look for a good location close to the batteries, price some dc cable and get ready if it is needed.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-16-2022, 07:16 AM   #14

The hardest thing is ripping the old one out…….LOL

Yeah you can just plug in the residential where old refrigerator plugs in and you are good to go, until you install an inverter.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
Old 06-17-2022, 05:34 PM   #15

Just FYI - 2 batteries will not operate residential fridge overnight. Ask me how I know. We added 2 more when we returned. We had to replace last year & went with 6.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:35 PM   #16

It would be interesting to know which unit is lighter in weight. I have Solar on my unit and run my 3 way Norcold on AC all the time. Been thinking of swaping out to an AC household unit with an ice maker.. What make model are you looking at Norty?
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
It would be interesting to know which unit is lighter in weight. I have Solar on my unit and run my 3 way Norcold on AC all the time. Been thinking of swaping out to an AC household unit with an ice maker.. What make model are you looking at Norty?
It's a Haier 9.8 cu ft. model HA1-TG21SW, 112 lbs

It may not have a ice maker option. Comes in white- black or stainless.

This may not be the one but it will fit the hole!

edit: The Norcold is 8 cf so I would have a larger freezer than now.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #18

That is the same unit we put in our camper, we were able to travel for 6 hours without the ice thawing in the freezer, I am not sure how long we could have lasted. If you decide to make the change, you will probably want to do some insulating around the inside of the cabinet and you will need to decide how you want to secure the fridge. Also make sure you have good airflow for the compressor etc on the back side of the fridge.
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:59 PM   #19

If you decide to get an inverter, I'd strongly recommend getting a PURE SINE WAVE Inverter as others have mentioned. The link provided for the Xantrex Xm1800 Pro Series Inverter is a modified sine wave inverter. Not good for sensitive electronics. As an example, I plugged a house fan into a modified and it sounded terrible. Then connected to a pure sine wave inverter. Smooth as silk.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 01:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

I replaced my Norcold with a 12v GE recently. I sure don't regret it. It cools much better and is actually a bit more that 1 cuft. larger and fits in the same spot. I used the existing 12v wiring to power the new fridge. Works great. I initially looked at this option for $$$ reasons and the fact that it stays running while traveling. The battery stays charged from my truck battery while towing. No need for extra batteries and inverters.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote