Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #1

Pin Box Upgrade with an Andersen Ultimate

I didn't want to hijack Poohbears thread since I don't know what hitch he has.

My 26.5RDLS came with a Reese Revolution. I cannot really use the turning feature with the Andersen. The ride is not really rough, but I wonder if it would be smoother with something like a MORryde Rubber Pin Box. This would have been one upgrade that the 2019 came with that my 2018 did not.

Anyone changed to a softer pin box using an Andersen? Better or not worth the money?

Thanks
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #2

Pin Box Upgrade with an Andersen Ultimate

I sincerely thought about the Mor/Ryde to go with the Andersen. But the more I looked, the more I saw that people were happy with the stock king pin and the Andersen. I have heard of 2-3 that did the Mor/Ryde/Andersen and were happy, but have also heard of several that were using the stock king pin and Andersen on much bigger fifth wheels than I was interested in and they told me it was a smooth combination. So my plan would be to start out with the OEM king pin and Andersen and see what happens.
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

FYI, I have gone back to a BW 18k Patriot after 2 failures of AUH. I will say with my AUH & standard extended pinbox the ride was smooth & I never gave a thought to a cushioned pinbox upgrade.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

I pull a Jayco FW with my GMC 2500HD Duramax using the Andersen hitch. At first I was very disappointed with the terrible "chucking" over rough roads. To a point that it was stressful to go anywhere pulling this trailer. I finally bought a MorRyde rubber pin box and it made a huge difference. I don't think it fixed the chucking but dampened it enough that I hardly notice it. I won't own another FW without installing a MorRyde pin box. This is a product that really does what they claim and I think was reasonably priced considering how well it works. If you get one, you won't be sorry.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
FYI, I have gone back to a BW 18k Patriot after 2 failures of AUH. I will say with my AUH & standard extended pinbox the ride was smooth & I never gave a thought to a cushioned pinbox upgrade.
Poohbear, would you share the type of failures you had with the AUH? I'm trying to decide on what hitch to buy in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Aggie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie79 View Post
Poohbear, would you share the type of failures you had with the AUH? I'm trying to decide on what hitch to buy in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Both bent forward. I'll have to see if I still have photos.1st was the original AUH with thinner tubes & less bracing, 2nd was the upgrade with more wing bracing & schedule 80 tubes. Andersen sent new ones each time and before I used the one I got last October, I saw a photo of the latest version bent but that photo had a story that most hitchs would have had a failure also but I decided to go back to conventional hitch.
I will admit I was as big a cheerleader as could be on the AUH.I really liked it but I am a BW guy now
Old 05-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

Appreciate the feedback poobear. i trying to pull the trigger on my first fifth wheel hitch and have been looking hard at the AUH and Companion. My 2017 F250 has the B&W turnover ball for the companion. Seems to be a simple choice but I'm probably missing something.
Aggie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Both bent forward. I'll have to see if I still have photos.1st was the original AUH with thinner tubes & less bracing, 2nd was the upgrade with more wing bracing & schedule 80 tubes. Andersen sent new ones each time and before I used the one I got last October, I saw a photo of the latest version bent but that photo had a story that most hitchs would have had a failure also but I decided to go back to conventional hitch.

I will admit I was as big a cheerleader as could be on the AUH.I really liked it but I am a BW guy now
What were you towing and did anything significant happen? Trying to understand why this would happen. I haven't heard others having issues.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #9

We have a 2011 321RLTS & scale usually about 13200 with a 14500 gvwr. I run my brakes @ 7 so the trailer Stops itself but both bent like truck stopped suddenly & rv kept going. I thought I knew what happened on #1 but after rethinking not a clue on either other than #1 just wasn't made with heavy enough material.Andersen went to schedule 80 tubes on 2nd generation It doesn't matter anymore as like I said, BW fixed the problem & we travel the same routes pretty regular.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #10

Thanks. If I we're pulling that much, I would probably follow suit.