Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Jayco 5th Wheel AGAIN?
Yes, indeed I would buy one again 91 59.87%
I would consider it, but was not totally thrilled with mine 31 20.39%
Probably would not, I have not had a wonderful experience 17 11.18%
Definitely not, I've had a bad experience 13 8.55%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #61

It sure seems like some people bought Chevy when they could have bought a Cadillac then trash the Chevy. Everyone thinks for what they spent it should be “better”. The fairest comparison is take the same dollar amount, look at competing brands, and decide. These low end apple to high end android type debates are amusing but not really helpful to a buyer.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
It sure seems like some people bought Chevy when they could have bought a Cadillac then trash the Chevy. Everyone thinks for what they spent it should be “better”. The fairest comparison is take the same dollar amount, look at competing brands, and decide. These low end apple to high end android type debates are amusing but not really helpful to a buyer.

Do you mean low end Android to high end Apple?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #63

Not sure anyone is comparing 1 to another. The poll question was about experience w/ Jayco products, specifically Pinnacle. As for comparing equal value brands, we spent a year comparing "best value/design" brands, irrespective of cost, before buying our Pinnacle. My comments regarding the quality of my unit are based on a 20 yr career as a quality analyst for a major auto mfg. The issues I have seen w/ my unit are directly related to a) my determination of value for $ and b) my knowledge of assembly & workmanship quality.The originator of the poll was asking "would you buy another Jayco prod. & why". No mention of how does Jayco compare w/ another brand. Incidentally, I like my android phone.
Lyonseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #64

It really seems like Dhart and Lowmiler had a very informative conversation comparing two.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #65

I see that now, after my last post. Further to their discussion, we looked at DRV,before deciding on Pinnacle. Yes it is a very nice unit w/ 1 major flaw. On the 37' model, you can't access the bathroom w/o opening the slide. For us, having our hotel room attached to our truck means being able to access the b/r when needed. No question there are probably better units available, and we looked at all that were available in Canada, some mfg. don't sell here yet.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #66

We bought a used 2015 Jayco Eagle HT27RLTS in 2017. We love our fifth wheel and we pull it with a 17 Silverado 1500 Z71 1/2 ton. We have driven it to Texas once and twice to Florida from Michigan. We would buy it again.
Figure8Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #67

When the time comes to trade, I will certainly look at other brands. My biggest complaint is the lack of value/quality for the $ invested. In Canada, a Pinnacle is a $100k investment, based on what we found on our first trip (7000 km), I really think they (Jayco) could have done better. I hope I'm proven wrong after I get it back from the dealer.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #68

We purchased a 2006 Designer 35CLQS in 2006. Prior to that, we had travel trailers, and since, a motorhome, a travel trailer and 5er's of different manufacturers. The Designer was far and away the nicest in both fit and finish of what we have owned prior and since. In seven years of ownership, we never had a warranty issue, and other than general maintenance, not a nickel in repairs. Hind sight always being 20/20, wish we still had that rig. Would I buy another Jayco? I have, just not new.
johndebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #69

We looked for a "Designer" when we were shopping, I believe the Pinnacle replaces that model as I can't find any info on them after 2017. If I'm wrong, please let me know. You also state that it was a 2006 which was before Jayco was bought out by Thor Ind. While I can't say that the Pinnacle was the best fit & finish when we looked, it was among the better ones. You've been in the rv lifestyle for a while, we're just starting. I hope I don't look back in 14 yrs and say my current unit is the best I've owned.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #70

I know we aren’t supposed to Jayco bash here so I will just list the problems we have had. We have a 2017 Pinnacle 36 FBTS purchased new in August 2017. From the factory to the dealer to our seasonal campsite the camper had only 300 miles on it.

What we have replaced: (under warranty)

Kitchen slide out motor (one side)

Kitchen stool

Entry door (the window was so out of plumb it could not be adjusted) and before anyone starts the door was always open when we saw the camper.

TV in living area

Awnings (both)

Propane hoses from regulator to tanks (both leaked)

Propane regulator (twice)

Furnace blower was making a funny noise (turned out to be construction debris)

What we are currently working on:

Downstairs air conditioner/heat pump (the wrong thermostat was installed at the factory and the wiring is so fouled up no one can make sense of it) still can’t use the air or electric heat.

Theater seating chairs “leather” cracking and peeling, I’m sure the sofa will soon follow (we purchased the interior protection package thru the dealer, the ECP Platinum plan , which is a total waste of money, the warranty is written in such a way that they can weasel out of covering anything)

Front cap fading (ECP did pay to have it buffed out, but it is still 4 shades lighter than the rest of the camper, it will need repainting.

Safety Recall for the suspension (we are currently snow birding in Florida so this could be interesting)

What I have repaired myself:

Basement door lift assist’s fell off (all 4 lifts, screws were all striped)

Plugged black water tank (construction debris)

Bathroom cabinet (cracked style, dealer provided material)

Bathroom trim (missing, dealer provided material)

Bedroom to bathroom sliding door fell off wall ( 1 screw out of 5 was in a stud)

Installed lift assists on all 4 upper cabinet doors in kitchen (dealer provided lifts)

Purchased and installed new TV (had a fair allowance for a new tv)

All window blinds

Vertical trim on kitchen slide out (both sides fell off)

Vallance trim on 3 windows

Slide out seals (living area slide)

Countless screws on exterior and interior

I’m sure I have forgotten some things and our dealer has been helpful with most of our problems but if Jayco had any quality control at all most of these should have been repaired before this unit left the factory. Jayco has no problem giving you a $1000.00 headache to save themselves a nickel.

Other than these few problems we love our Pinnacle.
Steve & Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #71

I've personally owned two campers, been around plenty others growing up and camping with friends.

First was a Keystone Cougar TT. It had issues. No worries, fixed them myself.

Upgraded to an Eagle HT Fifth Wheel. It has issues, but the floor plan was 100% perfect and after shopping for a full year it was the best fit for our family and fixed our major gripes over the Keystone TT.

Would I buy one again? If the floorplan works for us, of course. They all are built quickly and cheaply, and everything man made is can fail.

Honestly, everything that's failed on these RV's I've owned have always been subcontracted out parts that are common to all RV's I've seen so I'm not like super surprised.
IchWarriorMkII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #72

Run, don't walk away. We have a Pinnacle 2016 FBTS which has given us NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. The Schwintek slide system is a piece of you know what. Have had ours repaired 3 times by 3 different Jayco dealers/RV certified Jayco mechanics. Underpowered, gets out of alignment too easily and the slide is way to heavy for the Schwintek system - frig, micro, stove, fireplace, TV. Our frig had to be replaced, the power cord system failed, the furnace had to be fixed - twice. We traded our 2001 Jayco Designer Legacy that NEVER gave us problems for the 2016 Pinnacle for its bath and a half. BIG MISTAKE. The original Jayco family that started Jayco sold out to some conglomerate and ever since then, quality has gone way down. The Pinnacle is our 4th Jayco product - never again would I buy this. Of course everything went wrong after warranty expired - and no help at all from Jayco. We are going to sell this lemon asap.
sharon w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #73

Jayco used to be great product, till Thor Industries took over and owns 3/4" of the RV I industry. I purchased a new 2017 Jayco Eagle 321 RSTS with 19 issues in the first 2.5 months of ownership. Lucily I had a great service manager and went all out to repair them: I have numerous posting of not great reviews, so will try and stay away from all the negative issues. The biggest was major water leaks where water lines were hand tightened from factory, back window was totally removed and replaced- 8" of daylight, floor squeaks everywhere and plywood not screwed down, actually not placed properly. Where accessible was fixed-OK? but in bathroom still and never fixed as had to tear the whole bathroom, linoleum apart. So will live with it and have a rug to hide it so my buddy does not point it out! In short the inspection process did not or maybe Jayco does not have anyone doing it when they leave? They say they are best in the business?? Yet my dealer passed it off to me the way they received delivery. I di ask Jayco that I would be willing to be their Quality control manager! Never got a response after 2 years. I read a lot of RV's are thrown together! Pretty sad, in our day and age- not such quality control. Quick builds and then your headache!
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoJoe66 View Post
Personally before going with a Jayco I would at least look at the Grand Design Line of 5th wheels. I have a 2019 Jayco 29.5BHOK and sorry I bought it. I am now close to a trade for the Grand Design product line. Night and day difference in quality and detail. Also a higher quality in assembly, I have compared both top to bottom and inside out.
You are spot on about the Grand Design.

Personally, I would not buy another Jayco fifth wheel if it was "free". Too many issues with mine and too many battles to get warranty items fixed. Grand Design will be my next unit.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:22 PM   #75

I get it, and I mostly agree about Jaycos, but they're (rvs) all built to fail and for you to fix, even Grand Design. I've seen plenty in GD units that does not impress me. I am not any more or less impressed with them. Personally, I won't get my hopes too high about any of them. Understand the nature of the industry and play at your own expense.

That said, I'd love to own an Arctic Fox or Outdoors RV to see if they are really any better.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:33 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I wonder sometimes if the poor quality is a sign of the times. 2018 was a year for record sales. The RV business was on a steep trajectory upwards from the 2008 crash. Being a cyclical business you gotta get yours while it's hot and RV'ers have been swamping MFG's with purchases. They literally couldn't build em fast enough for a while.
When a MFG looks across the street and see's brand X selling junk for the same price as they're charging for better quality then thats when IMO brand Y said lets cut back on quality since time is money so lets build em fast and cheap so we can put more RV's on dealers lots. After all brand X was selling just as many so the average consumer had no clue that they were getting an inferior product.
Then they thought, we'll deal with the problems latter and since we didn't drop the price but cut back on labor costs by cutting more corners we can afford to do some extra warranty work. Then they all started jacking up the prices so profits are thru the roof. Any MFG related to the RV business should've been killing it for the last 5-6 years.
So as long as RV buyers are willing to settle for the current quality then nothing will change. Emotions play a big deal in the RV business. Lots of RV's are sold by bling alone. Blingy stuff like awning lights, lighted stove knobs, ( I mean really who would even want that in their house?) fancy decals, pretty colors inside, 32" TV's that are situated 90* to your couch but who cares it's LED so yippee. Etc.
And I won't even throw in all the marketing hype. That's for another thread.
You're right. The problem is most want a lot for little. I think it's a loss of perspective that we suffer from as a culture. My grandparents had dirt floors for crying out loud, and my dad made $8K/yr. He housed, fed, and cared for seven kids on that! Personally, I want Main Street back. I know, you can scoff. But that's a significant part of what we're missing.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:35 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Curious: have you conducted the same poll in other manufacturer forums? That’s the only way to make this one statistically relevant.
Excellent suggestion.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #78

All one has to do is spend several weeks or at least a month on other brand forums and you'll see that they're all the same.
Grand Design has it's own set of problems. Mainly suspension issues. I've been a member of the owners forum since they started building trailers and have seen GD go from having a rep on the forum to no rep and having quality issues. Early on I thought they were going to reinvent the RV, But all they did was reinvent the customer service approach.
The GD Owners forum is full of kool aide drinking fan boys. Sorry if I was too blunt but that's the way I see it. There are members that have multiple big issues and still say they'd get another one. Really?

The GD Owners forum is probably the best there is as far as buyer involvement goes. Huge array of topics to post on and all models covered. It feels really mom and pop'y. But if you weed through the heaps of praise you'll find a plethora of issues just like most other brands.

Would I buy one? Probably or just as easily another brand as well, but I also know that it's not going to be the holy grail of RV's. Nothing's guaranteed so just because the one you own sucks doesn't mean you won't be 'That' guy on another forum complaining about problems with your new trailer.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote