Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2023, 09:51 PM   #1

Replacement Landing Gear for 29.5 Eagle

I have a 2018 29.5 Eagle. I love the unit , it has been great except for the single motor landing gear, it’s awful. I seem to work on it annually.So I want to swap out for a system with a stronger/ or second motor , and more total travel. I am looking at ultra-fab , but a little concered about the lack of manual backup.
What have others used and recommend?
Thanks
Road Warrior 241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:18 PM   #2

I have thought about splitting up my landing gear into separate motors. Hear are my thoughts.

Double the motors, double the current. The remote will no longer be able to control the landing gear with its built in fuse circuit. You would need to wire new circuits from the battery that are fused to control each motor. Landing gear with separate motors usually has the motor attached vertically onto the landing gear. My front storage compartment doesn’t have enough vertical clearance to have motors mounted vertically. I would need to rebuild the follower landing gear as a mirror image of the motorized landing gear with the following parts for my 5th wheel.

1. Lippert 179013 Lead Fifth Wheel Landing Gear Drop Leg 29-1/2" and Snap Pin, gear
2. Lippert 276602 Venture Fifth Wheel Landing Gear Box Aluminum
3. Lippert 196308 Tuson Fifth Wheel Landing Gear Motor HD 6500 LB
4. Lippert 387874 Power Stabilizer Switch - Black (2nd switch)
5. 30A inline fuses (or circuit breaker) for each motor

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:40 PM   #3

David that is interesting, so you are looking at duplicating your lead leg setup on the slave side? You make a great point about vertical space for the motor, i think mine will be similiar.
Road Warrior 241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Warrior 241 View Post
David that is interesting, so you are looking at duplicating your lead leg setup on the slave side? You make a great point about vertical space for the motor, i think mine will be similiar.
My driveway has about a 5 degree slope and I have to almost fully extend the landing legs to get the trailer to level. The landing leg motor appears to struggle the last 8 inches of travel. The self healing breaker will trip if I don’t pause a few minutes every couple of inches of that last 8 inches of travel. I have lubricated my landing screws and gears.

I am going to put 4 inch blocks under the trailers front tires that will allow the suspension to be level when the trailer is level on my driveway. I have yet to test that to see if that reduces the strain on the lifting legs. It only cost me 2 - 2 x 6 x 8’ to make the front wheel blocks. If not I will be splitting the landing gear into a left and right motors.

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote