Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Requesting Solar Schematic

I am wondering if anyone out there has, or can obtain, a complete schematic of just the built-in solar wiring for both the roof mounted and portable solar plug-in port for my FW? Jayco will only send the generic information about Go-power, and the Go-power folks won’t send anything at all. My unit is a 2018 26.5 ft RLDS FW. Any help here would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks..
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #2

Don't expect too much from Jayco.
Basically, you have a rooftop connector that is (or should be) wired with red and black heavy gauge wires that feed down (usually through the bathroom wall by the stairs) behind the sticker on the wall that says Prewired for Solar and has the Go Power logo. The red wire is usually cut and capped behind that sticker. You install the controller there, and then red wire circuit is completed, where it goes up to the battery compartment area.
You will have to do some searching, but you should be able to locate the wires near the battery. On some units, you can remove the bathroom outlet and look in the wall to locate the wires behind the sticker. If you want to install your controller for the rooftop panels elsewhere, you will need to get into that wall to connect the red wires.
Your portable connection should already be connected to your battery wiring. Mine was. Your roof-top wires most likely are loose and capped for connection during roof panel installation.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply...so you’re saying the rooftop controller location and the portable plug-in locations are two totally separate circuits?
Old 06-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
Thanks for your reply...so you’re saying the rooftop controller location and the portable plug-in locations are two totally separate circuits?
That's correct. The portable connector should be located near your battery compartment. I have a 2020 HT 30.5 CKTS so I assume our units are similar.
My portable connector is located just above the front landing gear control switch.
The wiring from that connector goes a short distance to the battery compartment where the ground wire (black) and the positive (red) are connected to the main feed from the battery. Because the portable solar panel should have it's own controller, this circuit is wired directly to the battery circuit. The roof panels would not have a controller on the roof, therefore the wires come down to the intended location of the controller when the system is installed, and then feeds to the battery compartment. In most cases, it is not connected to the battery until the system is installed.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
That's correct. The portable connector should be located near your battery compartment. I have a 2020 HT 30.5 CKTS so I assume our units are similar.
My portable connector is located just above the front landing gear control switch.
The wiring from that connector goes a short distance to the battery compartment where the ground wire (black) and the positive (red) are connected to the main feed from the battery. Because the portable solar panel should have it's own controller, this circuit is wired directly to the battery circuit. The roof panels would not have a controller on the roof, therefore the wires come down to the intended location of the controller when the system is installed, and then feeds to the battery compartment. In most cases, it is not connected to the battery until the system is installed.
X2 on Nature's reply. I have a 2018 26.5 RLDS also and use the portable connector. I hook up my Renogy 100W solar suitcase and it keeps my 2-6volt batteries charged pretty good. The female plugin is on the front side, just next to battery area and the front electric jacks switch. I love the fact that I can move the unit into the sunny area as needed.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #6

Thanks guys..Jeff, did you have to do any battery compartment changes to accommodate those 6v batteries? IE: like having to remove that little shelf directly above the batteries? Also, what made u decide on 6v as opposed to AGM?
Sorry for going slightly off topic as I am considering a battery upgrade also
Old 06-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #7

On my 2019 North Point Jayco used 8 gauge wire from roof to the location for the solar charge controller then the same 8 gauge wire from that location to the front battery compartment. The connections on the roof were for crap and fell apart in my hand. The crimps were horrible and the amount of wire “cut” while trying to strip the wire is ridiculous. There is also the quick connect plug in my wet bay but I have yet to find where that goes. In theory it should go to the battery compartment for a portable panel with built in charge controller but I don’t have much faith.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	60250

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	60251

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	60252

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
Thanks guys..Jeff, did you have to do any battery compartment changes to accommodate those 6v batteries? IE: like having to remove that little shelf directly above the batteries? Also, what made u decide on 6v as opposed to AGM?
Sorry for going slightly off topic as I am considering a battery upgrade also
Whamm- the 2-6v batteries fit in just fine, front to back installed by CW. But, first time I went to check battery water levels, it was almost impossible to check the back battery. So.... I popped the rivets on the shelf and took it out. Now, it's much easier to see the water levels (with help of a mirror).
At purchase time I hadn't even considered anything but the 2-6V wet batteries in my negotiations. They work just fine and provide the power I need, with the help of the 100W Renogy solar suitcase. I also have 2 - 2000W generators used for boondocking if we need the AC.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #9

Here’s my battery box mod. Maybe you can get some ideas.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...mod-65624.html
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote