Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
tld

Resealing Roof and Jayco Warranty

Jayco says that you must inspect the roof every six months and "reseal once a year" to maintain warranty. Can anyone tell me what constitutes "resealing" the roof? Does taking a tube(s) of Dicor and spot sealing any questionable areas cover it, or do they expect all of the seems on the entire roof to be recovered with sealant?
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
Jayco says that you must inspect the roof every six months and "reseal once a year" to maintain warranty. Can anyone tell me what constitutes "resealing" the roof? Does taking a tube(s) of Dicor and spot sealing any questionable areas cover it, or do they expect all of the seems on the entire roof to be recovered with sealant?
That is whay I did the 1st 5 years. This spring I installed eternabond over all the caulk. Stull need to inspect for damage, but the maintenance should be done

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

During my conversation with Jayco I was told since they require re-inspection and re-caulking as necessary every 6 months, leaks at any caulked seam are not covered after that first 6 month period. There are many good videos about how to inspect the caulk and reseal if you want to stay with caulk.

I have covered most of my caulk with Eternabond. I did the same on my previous trailer. I traded it after 7 years and never had to touch those seams again. The same is true of my current 2013 which went into service August of 2012.

I'm sure they just want you to touch-up as necessary but if you are going to stay with caulk and want to CYA, send Jayco an email asking them if you have to reinstall the caulk every year of just touch-up as necessary every 6 months. That way you will have their answer in writing.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #4

Resealing Roof and Jayco Warranty

From the manual:

Sealants perform a very important function and should be inspected closely and regularly maintained. We incorporate many different types of sealants, including butyl/putty, black butyl-encapsulated foam, silicone (clear and colored), roof sealant and foam. In general, sealants do not have "set" lifetimes. Varying environmental factors affect the pliability and adhesiveness of sealants.
You or your dealer must:
 Inspect all sealants, a minimum of every six months. Make sure to check the roof and
all four sides of the recreation vehicle including al moldings, doors, vents and exterior attachments. A quick walk around the recreation vehicle before leaving may help prevent potential problems during trips and vacations.
 Have the sealant replaced if you notice any cracks, peeling, voids, gaps, breaks, looseness or any sign of physical deterioration. Reseal at least one time each year as preventative maintenance.
 Always use the same type of sealant that was removed. Your dealer recreation vehicle service or parts manager can help you obtain the correct sealant(s).

Bottom line IMO is to keep a good eye on it and maintain as necessary. If you take care of it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #5

We bought our 2013 Jayco Premier 321RLTS in Feb. 2014. It leaked from day one. We have spent three plus years sealing, re-sealing and still have leaks. The leaks have been in different places, with the ones at the front cap coming back again and again. I am thinking of using Eternabond on all seams on the roof. I really thought the dealer should have checked all seals before we picked up this 5th wheel. Especially when we called them less than a week later that we had a leak.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #6

OP, as others have said, you need to use Dicor (or equivalent) on the seams of the roof. Many people use Eternabond tape, which doesn't require any further "touch up" to maintain the seal. Now that I am out of warranty, I will be using Eternabond too.

KLGard, take your RV somewhere and have it pressure tested. You can find out EXACTLY from where your camper is leaking and fix it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

I have seen in other post that free applying the Eterna bond tape do you still put a bead of dicor around the edge of the tape?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
tld

What I was wondering is if anyone had actually had an experience with Jayco that clarified what Jayco means in the warranty language regarding the "reseal at least once a year." Does that mean completely covering the old seal with new Dicor, or just applying Dicor to those areas that appear to need it? Does covering the old Dicor with Eternalbond tape satisfy the warranty language? I know that it needs to be regularly inspected and sealant applied as necessary, but I am just wondering what Jayco specifically requires in order to not being able to claim that the warranty has been voided.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #9

You only need to apply it where needed. Make sure you clean the old caulk with mineral spirits before touch-up. Don't get any on the roof membrane though. Inspect for any cracks, voids etc and even if you think it might need it, apply it. Too much caulk on an RV roof never hurt anything. My caulk started looking like this Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	32254

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	32255 so I did a thorough cleaning and touched it up. I have since covered all the caulk with Eternabond tape and yes you have to seal the seams/sides of the Eternabond with Dicor.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote