Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Roof Leaking on 2020 Jayco North Point 375BHFS Roof Leaks

I have a 2020 Jayco North Point 5th Wheel model # 375BHFS. My wife and I brought it brand new. Nothing but problems. Luckily this unit has a 2 year warranty but the warranty is flawed. My roof starting leaking about a month ago, is my assumption. I found the leak about a week ago. The sealant on the roof cracked which caused a leak. The warranty only covers the sealant for 6 months, yes 6 months. I've had this 5th wheel for 18 months and I've been taking it in for countless warranty work. Has anyone else had this problem and any advice on dealing with Jayco? From what Camping World has told me is that Jayco is going to deny the claim.
Attached Thumbnails
20201113_170707.jpg  
Timsf49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #2

Yes, faulty sealing around one of the skylights. Thankfully unit was in covered storage when it apparently failed. Had it repaired by a mobile technician.

I thought it was a 90 day limitation on roof sealants, unless they expanded the coverage recently.

In my personal experience, CW will only work on the specific items noted on the work order, and not engage on anything else, even if an obvious issue. I stopped using them due to this and other service issues.

I hope something in the situation changes in your favor.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #3

I appreciate your response and insight. Thank you.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsf49er View Post
The warranty only covers the sealant for 6 months, yes 6 months. .
Right in your owner's manual....

You or your dealer must:
 Inspect all sealants, a minimum of every six months.
Make sure to check the roof
and all four sides of the recreation vehicle including al moldings, doors, vents and
exterior attachments. A quick walk around the recreation vehicle before leaving
may help prevent potential problems during trips and vacations.
 Have the sealant replaced if you notice any cracks, peeling, voids, gaps, breaks,
looseness or any sign of physical deterioration. Reseal at least one time each year
as preventative maintenance.
 Always use the same type of sealant that was removed. Your dealer recreation
vehicle service or parts manager can help you obtain the correct sealant(s).
The sealants may become damaged due to road vibration, ultraviolet exposure, air pollution,
freezing temperatures and exposure to other elements. If deteriorated, repair immediately
to prevent damage.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

I'm aware of what the owners manual states. I read it after it was quoted to me by CW. So, failing seals and gaskets are common in 18 months or less?
Old 11-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm aware of what the owners manual states. I read it after it was quoted to me by CW. So, failing seals and gaskets are common in 18 months or less?
it is common for any caulking to crack or fail, it even happens on houses.

You will find multiple discussions on JOF about the importance and need to check and reseal the roof on a regular basis. I used Eternabond Tape on every rig I've owned and installed it within the first year of ownership. Once installed you should get 15 years without having to reseal. You do still need to inspect regularly.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #7

Yes, it is possible but that's a faulty product in my eyes.

Wow, thank you for sharing this information. I will look into that product and apply it ASAP. I applied some RV roof sealant but thats just a short term fix. I'm not holding my breath that Jayco will step up and fix it.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, it is possible but that's a faulty product in my eyes.
Applies to all RV's on the road. Do a search and you will find numerous articles that say "Inspect every 6 months and reseal at least once a year"...
Old 11-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
That is the real issue - there isn't actually a gasket or true seal, such as an o-ring, on the roof other than the AC unit gasket. It is just some goop laid on top to prevent water entry for a finite time period.

Hopefully next year I am getting the Flex armor product sprayed on to mine, resolving the issue for the long term
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #10

That is a nasty gap. Unfortunately Jayco probably will not cover it, as the caulking considered a maintenance item. Really do need to check the roof and all caulking at least twice a year.

After a few years I was touching up my roof caulk every 6 months. I also strongly recommend Eternabond. It took me two days to do it. Day one, washed the roof really well. Day two, applied the tape right over the existing caulk. Many people do go through the effort to remove the old caulk first. It is a little wrinkly, but only I and the one above ever see it. I installed it on my TT when it was about 5-6 years old. Wish I had done it day one.

I still check my roof twice a year, primarily for damage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #11

It says YOU or YOUR DEALER is to check it every 6 months. You checked it 4 months ago, right? Do you have to send documentation or some other proof to jayco or the dealer to prove you did it? Nope. So, it's your word vs theirs. Every company will do whatever they can to get out of warranty claims. After every trip, my trailer gets washed down top to bottom. While I'm on the roof scrubbing i check all my sealants. I always have a tube of Dicor on hand. If it remotely looks like it needs attention, I gob some on it. It's way easier to keep some on hand and just do it yourself than fight with a useless dealer and an even more useless idiot in the customer service cube farm.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #12

If you really want a maintenance free roof look into flexarmor
https://rvroof.com/
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post

We are picking up ours today!
Iamdrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaM3 View Post
That is the real issue - there isn't actually a gasket or true seal, such as an o-ring, on the roof other than the AC unit gasket. It is just some goop laid on top to prevent water entry for a finite time period.

Hopefully next year I am getting the Flex armor product sprayed on to mine, resolving the issue for the long term
X2 on the Flex Armor. I had mine done 5 years ago. If I was to buy a new RV today I would have it sprayed with RV Flex Armor before I ever used it. I will never ever have a rubber roof again that hasn't been sprayed day one. Just consider it a part of the purchase price.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
X2. My Flex Armor roof caught a 6 inch diameter oak limb a couple of weeks ago during a tropical storm. It bounced off and only left a little bit of oak bark residue on the Flex Armor. Zero damage. Imagine what a rubber roof would have looked like after this.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #16

Grumpy...did you remove the old sealant before applying the eternabond? What if you have to eventually replace a roof vent or fan?
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
Grumpy...did you remove the old sealant before applying the eternabond? What if you have to eventually replace a roof vent or fan?
No, I just cleaned the caulking and put down the tape. It works just as good, just doesn't look "super" pretty. The old caulking didn't either...

You can remove it if necessary, just takes extra effort and solvent.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #18

At 18 months it could definitely be in need of touching up.. I check mine at least 3 times a year.. it was only this year on my 2016 that I finally had to touch it up. So my factory caulking was good for 4 years before I had to touch it.. I know folks that have gone longer and folks that have touched it up much sooner.. this is why it needs to be inspected regularly.. you just don’t know.. outside conditions have a lot to do caulking longevity also.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #19

I check mine with regularity, and today finally found a couple holes in the sealant around the skylight. Guess I’ll pick up a tube tomorrow and touch it up.

Also, notices the caulk that runs along the back where the roof folds into the wall needs to be redone. It was tan in color, but not dicor. What would that be?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
It was tan in color, but not dicor. What would that be?
DICOR makes a tan LAP SEAL, it is not self leveling. It could also be GEO CEL or OSI Quad Seal.