Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2021, 06:13 AM   #1

Running generator while traveling

Any of you fellow rv'ers run your generators while traveling to keep the fridge on & 1 AC running ? In our Tx heat after the interior heats up while traveling the fridge on propane just won't keep up. We make 2trips to coast & 2 trips to our Arkansas place each summer & these drives about 7 hrs each way.
Thinking about adding a cargo carrier and running our portable champion 4500 . Also given thought to more batteries/Inverter . What are some of ya'll doing for this problem ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:07 AM   #2

Your thought about adding a carrier and running the genny in transit is exactly what I was planning to do with our TT if we had kept it.

We never had problems with the fridge staying cold on propane while in transit. Even in some pretty extreme TX heat. But the interior of the trailer would get SUPER hot, and it would take the AC unit a LONG time to cool it down after we landed. I always thought it would be nice to stop about 2 hrs ahead of destination, fire up the genny, and let the interior start getting cooled down ahead of arrival at the CG.

Plus it would make rest-stop stays a lot easier. We often overnight in parking lots/rest stops on long trips, and it was always a bit of a pain to run the cable to the generator riding in the pickup. Plus I'd have to leave my bed cover open all night. If I had the genny locked to a carrier on the tail of the rig, it would be a lot less work for those stops, plus I could keep everything secured for the night.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

i can tell you i've ran into a lot of folks doing it.. Most of these observations are at Gas Stations, when I hear their Gen purring when they pull in. I've always had that question in the back of my mind whether it was safe or not. Assuming these Gens are running off propane, i really don't see any difference than a propane fridge running while driving, other than the additional fuel used for the Gen.. This should be a good topic.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

I know you're in a Fifth Wheel, but lots of us in the Class C forum say we run all of the time with our generators on.

I'll even stop for gas with it running.
Living on the edge...
Old 08-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I know you're in a Fifth Wheel, but lots of us in the Class C forum say we run all of the time with our generators on.

I'll even stop for gas with it running.
Living on the edge...
That's what got me thinking about ways to safely mount genny on the 5er. We had a class A in the 90's and ran the genny traveling .
Old 08-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #6

GenSet while traveling

I had a dealership install me another transfer switch with a 50amp inlet to the front hitch. I have a Champion Digital Hybrid 4000/3500 watt portable genset that sits perfectly in front of my Pull-Rite 2300 hitch. It has the 30amp RV plug, so I merely attach the cord from the genset to right under the hitch pin. Its enough amperage to run in Eco mode for 1 AC and the fridge. Since it is a 50amp inlet, there are times I connect to it instead of the driver side 50amp inlet. Some campgrounds place their electric pedestal in the weirdest places.
Works great. I have found if I'm traveling in hilly country its best to have the fuel tank mostly full.
safe travels!
2016 GMC 3500HD SRW Diesel
smt0954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt0954 View Post
I had a dealership install me another transfer switch with a 50amp inlet to the front hitch. I have a Champion Digital Hybrid 4000/3500 watt portable genset that sits perfectly in front of my Pull-Rite 2300 hitch. It has the 30amp RV plug, so I merely attach the cord from the genset to right under the hitch pin. Its enough amperage to run in Eco mode for 1 AC and the fridge. Since it is a 50amp inlet, there are times I connect to it instead of the driver side 50amp inlet. Some campgrounds place their electric pedestal in the weirdest places.
Works great. I have found if I'm traveling in hilly country its best to have the fuel tank mostly full.
safe travels!

That’s a cool idea. My champion rides in front of my hitch at well. Is there enough air movement and shade in the bed to keep the gen happy while it’s running?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #8

So just how safe is it to run my gen (mounted in the front of the our 5th wheel) i am thinking there would be a lack of air flow.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyof5 View Post
So just how safe is it to run my gen (mounted in the front of the our 5th wheel) i am thinking there would be a lack of air flow.
Not sure if i would run a portable Generator in an enclosed environment. How would you vent the exhaust? Portables are not designed for that type of operation. Personally i wouldn't even run on in the bed of my truck while driving. They aren't designed for that purpose.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
You talking about a proper Onan in a gen prep compartment? If so, yes it's all good. If you're talking about a portable with or without gen prep thrown in there, then no.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #11

Yes onan factory installed
Old 08-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Yes onan factory installed
You're good. Genset has cooling fans that will pull air sitting still or rolling 70. The air inlets are actually bottom front and driving would push air to the inlets.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #13

Thank you sir
Old 08-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #14

I haven't had any issues with heat, especially when moving. I have run it sitting still for 2 to 3 hours no problem. I turn my genset so the exhaust is towards the driver side and the power plug is towards the passenger side.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #15

I haven't had any issues with heat, especially when moving. I have run it sitting still for 2 to 3 hours no problem. I turn my genset so the exhaust is towards the driver side and the power plug is towards the passenger side.[/QUOTE]

I assume you are running in the box of your truck, correct? What do you do if it rains while travelling? I have 2-2000 Champions that I tie together and the manual says they shouldn't get wet.
McEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:02 PM   #16

GenSet while traveling

yes, my manual says the same thing. don't get it wet. when I'm driving, its not a real issue unless its a thunder boomer. I just turn it off to be on the safe side. and yes I am running it in the truck bed.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt0954 View Post
safe travels!
I added the additional 50amp plug & a transfer switch with surge protection shortly after buying in 2011 with running in truck bed when stopped for lunch to keep our dogs cool but we quit takeing them
Old 08-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #18
Kmo

I have ran my Seismics on board once, the alternator in my truck quit and being a diesel it doesnt require too much power to keep running, so I ran the generator to back feed the truck batteries to keep me going till I got to the campground where I could fix the alternator.
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #19

Well since pconroy brought in us C classers, I'll say x2 for me. Difference is, I just run my installed Onan 4k from storage spot to house & back, about a 30 min trip each way. This is to exercise the gen as universally recommended, running one a/c & fridge to load it up. I shut it down when gassing up because all the signs say Turn Off Engine, it's an engine, and it's on the pump side as well. For the non-installed generator situations, does the OM have anything to say?
Old 08-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #20

Yes, absolutely, anytime the weather is warm we run the gen and the a/c to keep our dogs comfortable. We turn it off at gas stations and if we park for a short time somewhere that the noise would be bothersome. In theory, the generator will kick out when climbing or descending a steep hill, but ours never has. It is also supposed to cut off when the fuel tank falls to either one-third or one quarter. We travel so much in the west where gas stations are not always just around the next bend that we never allow our fuel supply to get that low so I can't prove at which point it will shut down.